- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Behavior of Elbows with Ovalization of the Tangential Pipes
직선배관 타원변형을 고려한 엘보우 거동
- Lee, Sang-Ho (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Song, Hyeon-Seob (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2010.10.20
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2010.12.31
The effects of the ovalization of the tangential pipes to the elbows are analyzed. The geometric nonlinear behaviors of the elbows are shown with the element capable of ovalization. The relationships between the length of the tangential pipes in the models and the bend angles of the elbows are analyzed to supplement the ASME code. And the proper length of the tangential pipes for the elbow models are suggested.
- von T. Karman, "Uber die Formanderung Dunnwandiger Rohre, insbesondere federnder Ausgleichrohre", Zeits V.D.I., pp1889-1895, Vol. 55, 1911.
- W. Hovgaard, "The Elastic Deformation of Pipe Bends", Journal of Mathematics and Physics, Masschusetts Institute of Technology, pp. 69-118, Vol. 6, 1926.
- L. Beskin, "Bending of Curved Thin Tubes", Journal of Applied Mechanics, pp. A1-A7, Mar. 1945.
- A. M. Wahl, "Stresses and Reactions in Expansion Pipe Bends", Pressure Vessel and Piping Design, ASME, pp. 336-357, 1960.
- E. C. Rodabaugh and H. H. George, "Effect of Internal Pressure on Flexibility and Stress-Intensification Factors of Curved Pipe or Welding Elbows", Transactions of the ASME Vol.79, pp. 336-357, 1957.
- G. Thomson and J. Spence, "Maximum Stresses and Flexibility Factors of Smooth Pipe Bends with Tangent Pipe Terminations under In-Plane Bending", Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 105, pp. 329-336, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3264289
- J. F. Whatham, "Pipe Bend Analysis by Thin Shell Theory", Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 53, pp. 173-180, 1986 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3171707
- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section III "Rules for Construction of Nuclear Power Plant Components", Division I, Subsection NB, Class 1 Components, 2004.
- K. Kussamaul, H. K. Diem, Uhlmann, D. E. Kobes, 1995, "Pipe bend behaviour at load levels beyond design", (SMiRT 13), Brazil, pp187-198.
- Abaqus, User's Manual, Version 6.7.1, 2007.