- Volume 11 Issue 12
In this paper, an efficient contrast enhancement algorithm using histogram specification is proposed. Histogram equalization and its modified methods have been effective techniques for contrast enhancement. However, they often result in excessive contrast enhancement. Besides conventional histogram specification also has a problem to get the desired histogram. We propose a method that utilizes a simple high frequency filter to get the desired histogram. The proposed technique not only produces better visual results than conventional contrast enhancement techniques, but is also adaptively adjusted to the statistical characteristics of the image.
- S. A. Stark, "Adaptive image contrast enhancement using generalizations of histogram equalization," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 889-896, May 2000.
- J. -Y. Kim, L. -S. Kim, and S. -H. Hwang, "An advanced contrast enhancement using partially overlapped sub-block histogram equalization," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 475-484, Apr. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.915354
- Y. -T. Kim, "Enhancement using brightness preserving bi-histogram equalization," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1-8, Feb. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.580378
- Y. Wang, Q. Chen, and B. Zhang, "Image enhancement based on equal area dualistic sub-image histogram equalization method," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 68-75, Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.754419
- T. -K. Kim, J. -K. Paik, and B. -S. Kang, "Contrast enhancement system using spatially adaptive histogram equalization with temporal filtering," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 82-86, Feb. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.663733
- Z. Y. Chen, B. R. Abidi, D. L. Page, and M. A. Abidi, "Gray-level grouping (GLG): An automatic method for optimized image contrast enhancement-Part I: The basic method," IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2290-2302, Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2006.875204
- R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 2nd. Englewood Cliffs. NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- Adobe System, Inc., Adobe Magazine May/Jun. 2000.
- T. Arici, S. Dikbas, and Y. Altunbasak, "A histogram modification framework and its application for image contrast enhancement," IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1921-1935, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2009.2021548
- S. -D. Chen and A. Ramli, "Minimum mean brightness error bi-histogram equalization in contrast enhancement," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1310-1319, Apr. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2003.1261234
- K. Matkovic, L. Neumann, A. Neumann, T. Psik, and W. Purgathofer, "Global contrast factor-a new approach to image contrast," in Computational Aesthetics in Graphics, Visualization and Imaging 2005, pp. 159-168, May 2005.