- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Acanthopanax extract on the DNA and erythrocyte damage induced by herbicides
제초제로 인한 DNA와 적혈구 손상에 미치는 오가피 추출물의 효과
- Seo, Yoo-Na (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kim, Jum-Ji (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Sung, Kwang-Soo (Sushin Ogapy Co., Ltd) ;
- Lee, Mi-Young (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Soonchunhyang University)
- Received : 2001.11.05
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2010.12.31
In order to investigate whether the ethanol extract of Acanthopanax sp. might inhibit herbicide-induced DNA damage and erythrocyte damage, the suppression of the oxidative DNA damage of lymphocyte and erythrocyte damage in the presence of the extract were evaluated by comet assay and hemolysis assay, respectively. Phenoxy herbicides, named 2,4-D (2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) and 2,4,5-T (2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid) and bipyridyl herbicide paraquat induced oxidative DNA damages of lymphocytes. However, the oxidative DNA damage by 2,4-D, 2,4,5-T or paraquat was inhibited in vitro upon treating Acanthopanax extract. Moreover, the erythrocyte damage was also suppressed in vitro by Acanthopanax extract treatment.
- M. A. Ibrahim, G. G. Bond, T. A. Burke, P. Cole, F. N. Dost, P. E. Enterline, M. Gough, R. S. Greenberg, W. E. Halperin, E. McConnell, I. C. Munro, J. A. Swenberg, S. H. Zahm, J. D. Graham,, "Weight of the evidence on the human carcinogenicity of 2,4-D", Environ Health Perspect, 96, pp. 213-222, 1991.
- E. L. Maillet, R. F. Margolskee, B. Mosinger, "Phenoxy herbicides and fibrates potently inhibit the human chemosensory receptor subunit T1R3", J Med Chem, 52, pp. 6931-6935, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm900823s
- E. Lynge, "Cancer incidence in Danish phenoxy herbicide workers, 1947-1993," Environ Health Perspect, 106, pp. 638-688, 1998.
- A. Schecter, L. Needham, M. Pavuk, J. Michalek, J. Colacino, J. Ryan, O. Päpke, L. Birnbaum, "Agent orange exposure, Vietnam war veterans, and the risk of prostate cancer", Cancer, 115, pp. 3369-3371, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24365
- J. S. Bus, J. E. Gibson, "Paraquat: model for oxidant-initiated toxicity", Environ Health Perspect, 55, pp. 37-46, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.845537
- W.Yang, Tiffany-Castiglioni, E ,"Paraquat-induced apoptosis in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells: involvement of p53 and mitochondria", J Toxicol Environ Health A. 71, pp. 289-299, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287390701738467
- M. Comporti, "Three models of free radical-induced cell injury". Chem Biol Interact, 72, pp. 1-56, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2797(89)90016-1
- E. Zacharias, E. Suntres, "Role of antioxidant in paraquat toxicity", Toxicology, 180, pp. 65-77, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(02)00382-7
- B. E. Shan, Y. Yoshita, T. Sugiura, U. Yama shita, "Suppressive effects of Chinese medicinal herb, Acanthopanax gracilistylus, extract on human lymphocytes in vitro", Clin Exp Immunol, 118, pp. 41-48, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2249.1999.01031.x
- J. M. Yi, M. S. Kim, S. W. Seo, K. N. Lee, C. S. Yook, H. M. Kim, "Acanthopanax senticosus root inhibits mast cell-dependent anaphylaxis", Clin Chim Acta, 312, pp. 163-168, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(01)00613-1
- S. K. Park, J. J. Kim, Y. M. Jeon, M. Y. Lee, "Suppressive effects of Korean indigenous Acanthopanax divaritacus on the allergic inflammation", J Appl Biol Chem, 50, pp. 155-159, 2007.
- D. N. Tripathi, G. B. Jena, "Intervention of astaxanthin against cyclophosphamide-induced oxidative stress and DNA damage: A study in mice", Chem Biol Interact, 180, pp. 398-406, 2009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2009.03.017
- N. P. Singh, M T. McCoy, R. R. Tice, E. L. Schneider, "A simple technique for quantitation of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells", Exp Cell Res, 175, pp. 184-191, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(88)90265-0
- E. J. Park, K. K. Ryoo, Y. B, Lee, J. K. Lee, M. Y. Lee, "Protective effect of electrolyzed reduced water on the paraquat-induced oxidative damage of human lymphocyte DNA", J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem, 48, pp. 155-160, 2005.
D. G. Sul, S. N. Oh, E. I. Lee, "The expression of DNA polymerase-
$\beta$and DNA damage in jurkat cells exposed to hydrogen peroxide under hyperbaric pressure", Mol Cell Toxicol, 4, pp. 66-71, 2008.
- T. Katsu, M. Kuroko, T. Morikawa, K. San chika, Y. Fujita, H. Yamamura, M. Uda, "Mechanism of membrane damage induced by the amphipathic peptides gramicidin S and melittin", Biochim Biophys Acta, 983, pp. 135-141, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2736(89)90226-5
- H. Murakami, S, Tsushima, Y. Shishido, "Soil suppressiveness to clubroot disease of Chinese cabbage caused by Plasmodiophora brassica", Soil Biol Biochem, 32, pp. 1637-1642, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-0717(00)00079-1
- A. Hartwig, "Role of DNA repair in particle -and fiber-induced lung injury", Inhal Toxicol, 14, pp. 91-100, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/089583701753338659
- R. P. Hebbel, A. Leung, N. Mohandas, "Oxidation-induced changes in microrheologic properties of the red blood cell membrane", Blood, 76, pp. 1015-1020, 1990.
- D. N. Bateman, "Pharmacological treatments of paraquat poisoning", Hum Toxicol, 6, pp. 57-62, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1177/096032718700600109