- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Studies on Bacterial and Fungal Contamination in the Herbal Medicines
한약재에서의 세균과 진균 오염에 관한 연구
- Lee, Jin-Sung (Department of Genetic Engineering, SungKyunKwan University) ;
- Yoon, Young-Sik (Professional Graduate School of Oriental Medicine Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2010.11.16
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2010.12.31
The study has been done for about two months through June 2 to July 30 of 2010. The study subjects are three herbal-pharmaceutical companies located in Seoul. Each of them purchased thirteen types of medicinal herbs, then the study did analysis for microbial contamination status of bacteria and fungi. Here, the study focuses on settling out fundamental data bases regarding the investigation standards of microbial contamination. As comparing the study results with contamination limits of bacteria and fungi which are represented by
Herbal Medicine;Contamination;Aerobic bacteria;fungus;16S rRNA
- S. Kimura, et al., "Effects of steam sterilization on changes in the microbial counts, color and consititutes of powered hernbal drugs". Journal of Antibacterial and Antifungal Agents, Vol. 31, No. 12, pp. 751-758, 2003.
- I. Kosalec, et al., "Contaminants of medicinal herbs and herbal products". Arh Hig Rada Toksikol., Vol. 60, pp. 485-501, 2009.
- H. M. Martins, et al., "Evaluation of microbiological quality of medicinal plants used in natural infusions". Int. J. Food Microbiol., Vol. 68, pp. 149-153, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(01)00480-9
- T. E. Chang, et al., "Microflora of manufacturing process and final products of saengshik". Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 501-506, 2004.
- 최선미, 정희진, 윤유식, 이미영, 최환수, 성현제 , "한약재 품질 관리에 관한 연구". 대한한의학회지, 제21권 3호, pp. 99-112, 2000.
- C. Wilson, et al., "Pathogen growth in herbal teas used in clinical settings: A possible source of nosocomial infection?". Am. J. Infect. Control., Vol. 32, pp. 117-119, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2003.09.004
- EP. Biological Tests. Supplement 5.2. "Bacterial Endotoxins. In: European Phamacopoeia (EP)". 5th eds., Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe -European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines, 2005.
- EPA. "Good Laboratory Practice Standards: Toxic Substances Control Act". CFR. 792, 2003.
- FDA. "General Biological Products Standards: General Provisions, Purity". CFR. 610.13, 2005.
- T. Hauer, et. al., "Tea as a source of Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia?". Infect Control. Hosp. Epidemiol., Vol. 20, pp. 594, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1086/503149
- USP. "Bacterial Endotoxins Test". USP 30 NF25(85). Rockville, MD:The U.S. Pharmacopeial (USP) Convention, 2007a.
- USP. "Pyrogen Test". USP30 NF25(151). Rockville, MD: The U.S. Pharmacopeial (USP) Convention, 2007b.
- FDA. "Good Laboratory Practices for Nonclinical Laboratory Studies". CFR. 58, 2003.
- Japanese Pharmacopeia B 14th eds., B, pp. 287-308, 1999.
- Japanese Pharmacopeia B 14th eds., F, pp. 104-106, 1999.
- Korean Pharmacopoeia 8th eds. pp. 1616-1632. 2008.
- World Health Organization. "WHO guidelines for assessing quality of herbal medicines with reference to contaminants and residue". Geneva, WHO, 2007.
- World Health Organization. "Supplementary guidelines on good manufacturing practices for the manufacture of herbal medicines". Geneva, WHO, 2006.
- D. J. Beecher, et al., "Identification and analysis of the antigens detected by two commercial Bacillus cereus diarrheal enterotoxin immuno assay kits". Appl. Environ. Microbiol., Vol. 60, pp. 4614-1651, 1994.
- L. K. Nakamura, et. al., "Bacillus pseudomycoides novel species". Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol., Vol. 48, pp. 1031-1035, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-48-3-1031
- B. P. Simmons, et al., "Enterobacter sakazakii infections in neonates associated with intrinsic contamination of a powdered infant formula". Infect. Control Hosp. Epidemiol., Vol. 10, pp. 398-401, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1086/646060
- E. Czech, et. al., "Microbiological status of commercially available medicinal herbal drugs". Planta Med., Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 263-269, 2001 https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2001-12007
- J. C. Borwn, et. al., "Prevalence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria on herbal products". J. Good Prot., Vol. 71, No. 7, pp. 1486-1490, 2008.
- R. S. Farag, et. al., "Antimicrobial activity of some Egyptian spice essential oils". J. Food Prot., Vol. 52, pp. 665-667, 1989. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-52.9.665
- S., N. Kimura, et. al., "Effects of steam sterilization on changes in the microbial counts, color and consititutes of powered hernbal drugs". Journal of Antibacterial and Antifungal Agents, Vol. 31, No. 12, pp. 751-758, 2003.
- I. Kosalec, et. al., "Contaminants of medicinal herbs and herbal products". Arh. Hig. Rada. Toksikol., Vol. 60, pp. 485-501, 2009.
- H. M. Martins, et. al., "Evaluation of microbiological quality of medicinal plants used in natural infusions". Int. J. Food Microbiol. Vol. 68, pp. 149-153, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(01)00480-9
- J. Singh, et. al., "Antibacterial activity of yogurt starter in cow and buffalo milk". J. Food Prot., Vol. 42, pp. 664-665, 1979. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-42.8.664
- H. D. Belitz, et. al., "Food Chemistry, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987.
- J. A. Morris, "Antimicrobial activity of aroma chemicals and essential oils". J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., Vol. 56, pp. 595-603, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02660245