- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Gross-β Level in Dental Ceramic Materials
치과용 세라믹 재료의 전β 방사능 준위
- Kim, Sung-Hwan (Department of Radiological Science, Cheongju University) ;
- Jeong, Hyun-Ja (Department of Dental Hygene, Daegu Health College)
- Received : 2010.11.08
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2010.12.31
In all of dental ceramics, these materials contained the radio-isotopes with natural abundance ratio. After dental treatment, remained dental ceramics in the oral cavity is caused for human internal dose. In this study, the gross beta activity levels were measured in dental materials including 22 dental ceramics, 1 resin, and 2 cements for estimation of human internal dose. In dental ceramic samples, the obtained results showed that the gross beta activity level varied between 1.317 ~ 2.935 Bq/g and the gross beta activity level was 2.379 Bq/g. And the same level for dentine, opacious dentine, translucent and enamel were 2.479 Bq/g, 2.491 Bq/g, 2.470 Bq/g and 2.069 Bq/g, respectively. The gross beta activity level of temporary resin and cements were negligible, compare to the same level of dental ceramics. The high gross beta activity level observed in opacious dentine code OD-A4 is 2.935 Bq/g thus mainly ascribable to 40K. The reduction of the radiation level of natural radio-isotopes and the improvement of the dental ceramic materials should be required for internal dose reduction.
- 치위생(학)과 치과재료학연구회, "최신 치과재료학",고문사, pp. 227-229, 7월, 2010.
- Kelly J.R., "Ceramics in restorative and prosthetic dentistry", C Annu. Rev. Mater. Sci., 27, pp. 443-468, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.matsci.27.1.443
- van Noort, R., "Introduction to Dental Materials", St. Louis, 2002.
- Dietz, C., "Fluorescent artificial teeth", US Patent No. 2301174, 1942.
- Moore, J.E., MacCulloch, W.T., "The inclusion of radioactive compounds in dental porcelains", Br. Dent. J., vol. 136, pp. 101-106, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4803132
- Am. Nat. Stand. Inst./Am. Den. Assoc., Specification No. 69. "Dental ceramic, council on dental materials, instruments and equipments", Am. Dent. Assoc. Chicago, 1991.
- I. Veronese, G. Guzzi, A. Giussani, M.C. Cantone, D. Ripamonti, "Determination of dose rates from natural radionuclides in dental materials", J. Environ. Rad., vol. 91. pp. 15-26, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2006.08.002
- UlfBengtsson, "Radioactive Compounds in Dental Materials?", Ed. 2, 1, 2000.
- S. Mahmoud, Z. Ghorbani, A. Darafsheh, H. Torabzadeh, et. al., "226Ra concentration in the teeth of habitants of areas with high level of natural radioactivity in Ramsar", J. Env. Rad., vol. 89, pp.212-218, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2006.05.008
- 정현자, "치과 재료 중 방사성 핵종 및 농도 평가",한국위생과학회지, vol. 14, No. 2, pp.197-202, 2008.
- Omer Sogut, Mehmet Fatih Aydın, Erdal Kucukonder, Ozlem Selcuk Zorer, and Mahmut Dogru, "Measurement of gross alpha and gross beta activity concentrations in human tooth", J. Env. Rad., vol. 101, pp.226-229, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2009.11.003
- Sairenji E., Moriwaki K., Shimizu M., Noguchi K., Anzai I., and Ikeda N, "Determination of uranium content in dental porcelains by means of the fission track method and estimation of radiation dose to orl mucosa by radioactive elements", Health Phys., vol. 38, pp.483-492, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004032-198004000-00003
- Kelly J.R., "Ceramics in restroactive and prosthetic dentistry", Annu. Rev. Mater. Sci., vol. 27, pp.443-468, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.matsci.27.1.443
- Fisher H., Brehme M., Telle R., and Marx R., "Effect of ion exchange of glazed dental glass ceramics on strength parameters", J. Biomed. Mater. Res., &2A, pp.175-179, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.a.30215