- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Prevalence of Neck Disability Index among Some College Students
일부 대학생의 경부장애지수에 대한 분포
- Oh, Hyun-Ju (Dept. of Rehabilitation Science, Graduate School, Daegu University) ;
- Kwon, Won-An (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Keukdong College) ;
- Kim, Dong-Dae (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Keukdong College) ;
- Lee, Jae-Hong (Dept. of Hospital & Medical management, Kyongbuk Science University) ;
- Um, Ki-Mae (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Yeojoo Institute of Technology) ;
- Song, Young-Hwa (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Dongnam Health College)
- 오현주 (대구대학교 대학원 재활과학과) ;
- 권원안 (극동정보대학 물리치료과) ;
- 김동대 (극동정보대학 물리치료과) ;
- 이재홍 (경북과학대학 병원의료경영계열) ;
- 엄기매 (여주대학 물리치료과) ;
- 송영화 (동남보건대학 물리치료과)
- Received : 2010.10.07
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2010.12.31
Neck pain was commonly experienced by both adolescents and adults. The neck disability index(NDI) was the most commonly used self-report measure for evaluating status in neck pain. The objective of this study is to research the prevalence of the NDI in their 20's of college students in department of physical therapy. The data were collected from the NDI questionnaire of college students(males: 229, females: 405) for functional disability measures. Statistical analysis was carried out with SPSS 12.0 program, which was used for descriptive statistics, independent samples test and Pearson correlation analysis. The results were : First, 'headache' item was showed 'the highest prevalence' in second choice demonstrating the neck disability and 'pain intensity' in third choice. Second, female(46.4%) was higher distribution than male(36.3%) on score, percentage and grade of NDI(p<0.05). Third, the NDI grade was investigated that it is composed of 'no disability(63.8%)', 'mild disability(35.4%)', and 'moderate disability(0.9%)' in male and 'no disability(53.6%)', 'mild disability(44.7%)', 'moderate disability(1.5%)' and 'severe disability(0.2%)' in female. Fourth, there was a statically significant relationship between NDI grade and NDI items(p<0.05). These results have specific meaning as future clinical and epidemiological studies. Also, it is needed to education and preparation on prevention and management of neck disability among college students.
Prevalence;Neck disability index(NDI);College students;Headache
- Hogg-Johnson S, van der Velde G, Carroll LJ, Holm LW, Cassidy JD, Guzman J, Cote P, Haldeman S, Ammendolia C, Carragee E, Hurwitz E, Nordin M, Peloso P, "The burden and determinants of neck pain in the general population: results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders", Spine (Phila Pa 1976), Vol 33(4 Suppl), pp. S39-51, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e31816454c8
- Guez M, Hildingsson C, Nilsson M, Toolanen G, "The prevalence of neck pain: a population-based study from northern Sweden", Acta Orthop Scand, Vol 73(4), pp. 455-9, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016470216329
- Ferrari R, Russell AS, "Regional musculoskeletal conditions: neck pain", Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol, Vol 17(1), pp. 57-70, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1521-6942(02)00097-9
- Larsson B, Sogaard K, Rosendal L, "Work related neck-shoulder pain: a review on magnitude, risk factors, biochemical characteristics, clinical picture and preventive interventions", Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol, Vol 21(3), pp. 447-63, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2007.02.015
- Ming Z, Närhi M, Siivola J, "Neck and shoulder pain related to computer use", Pathophysiology, Vol 11(1), pp. 51-6, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pathophys.2004.03.001
- Vernon H, Mior S, "The Neck Disability Index: a study of reliability and validity", J Manipulative Physiol Ther, Vol 14(7), pp. 409-15, 1991.
- Leak AM, Cooper J, Dyer S, Williams KA, Turner-Stokes L, Frank AO, "The Northwick Park Neck Pain Questionnaire, devised to measure neck pain and disability", Br J Rheumatol, Vol 33(5), pp. 469-74, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/33.5.469
- Jordan A, Manniche C, Mosdal C, Hindsberger C, "The Copenhagen Neck Functional Disability Scale: a study of reliability and validity", J Manipulative Physiol Ther, Vol 21(8), pp. 520-7, 1998.
- Westaway MD, Stratford PW, Binkley JM, "The patient-specific functional scale: validation of its use in persons with neck dysfunction", J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol 27(5), pp. 331-8, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.1681
- Wheeler AH, Goolkasian P, Baird AC, Darden BV 2nd, "Development of the Neck Pain and Disability Scale. Item analysis, face, and criterion-related validity", Spine (Phila Pa 1976), Vol 24(13), pp. 1290-4, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199907010-00004
- McCarthy MJ, Grevitt MP, Silcocks P, Hobbs G, "The reliability of the Vernon and Mior neck disability index, and its validity compared with the short form-36 health survey questionnaire", Eur Spine J, Vol 16(12), pp. 2111-7, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-007-0503-y
- Wlodyka-Demaille S, Poiraudeau S, Catanzariti JF, Rannou F, Fermanian J, Revel M, "The ability to change of three questionnaires for neck pain", Joint Bone Spine, Vol 71(4), pp. 317-26, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2003.04.004
- 송경진, 최병완, 김설전, 윤선중, "한국어판 Neck Disability Index의 문화적 개작과 타당도", 대한정형 외과학회지, Vol 44(3), pp. 350-9, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2009.44.3.350
- 채윤원, 이현민, "긴장성 두통에 대한 두개경부 운동의 효과", J Kor Soc Phys Ther, Vol 21(4), pp.9-16, 2009.
- 형인혁, 김형수, 이상열, "경추통 환자에 대한 신장운동과 도수치료가 즉각적인 통증과 ROM에 미치는효과", J Kor Soc Phys Ther, Vol 21(4), pp. 1-7, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.21.1
- Bergstrom G, Bodin L, Bertilsson H, Jensen IB, "Risk factors for new episodes of sick leave due to neck or back pain in a working population, A prospective study with an 18-month and a three-year follow-up", Occup Environ Med, Vol 64(4), pp. 279-87, 2007.
- Smith L, Louw Q, Crous L, Grimmer-Somers K, "Prevalence of neck pain and headaches: impact of computer use and other associative factors", Cephalalgia, Vol 29(2), pp. 250-7, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2982.2008.01714.x
- van der Velde G, Beaton D, Hogg-Johnston S, Hurwitz E, Tennant A, "Rasch analysis provides new insights into the measurement properties of the neck disability index", Arthritis Rheum, Vol 61(4), pp. 544-51, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24399
- Pietrobon R, Coeytaux RR, Carey TS, Richardson WJ, DeVellis RF, "Standard scales for measurement of functional outcome for cervical pain or dysfunction: a systematic review", Spine (Phila Pa 1976), Vol 27(5), pp. 515-22, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200203010-00012
- MacDermid JC, Walton DM, Avery S, Blanchard A, Etruw E, McAlpine C, Goldsmith CH, "Measurement properties of the neck disability index: a systematic review", J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol 39(5), pp. 400-17, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2009.2930
- Evans O, Patterson K, "Predictors of neck and shoulder pain in non-secretarial computer users", Int J Ind Ergon, Vol 26(3), pp. 357-65, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00011-1
- Lorusso A, Bruno S, L'Abbate N, "Musculoskeletal disorders among university student computer users", Med Lav, Vol 100(1), pp. 29-34, 2009.
- Fejer R, Hartvigsen J, "Neck pain and disability due to neck pain: what is the relation?", Eur Spine J, Vol 17(1), pp. 80-8, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-007-0521-9
- Croft PR, Lewis M, Papageorgiou AC, Thomas E, Jayson MI, Macfarlane GJ, Silman AJ, "Risk factors for neck pain: a longitudinal study in the general population", Pain, Vol 93(3), pp. 317-25, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(01)00334-7
- Straker LM, O'Sullivan PB, Smith AJ, Perry MC, "Relationships between prolonged neck/shoulder pain and sitting spinal posture in male and female adolescents", Man Ther, Vol 14(3), pp. 321-9, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2008.04.004