- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
An analysis on the competition patterns between Paper-book and E-book using the Lotka-Volterra model
Lotka-Volterra 모형을 적용한 Paper-boook과 E-book의 경쟁관계 유형 분석
- Kim, Ka-Hee (Graduate School of Information Management Engineering, Korea University)
- 김가희 (고려대학교 정보경영공학전문대학원)
- Received : 2010.11.03
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2010.12.31
Electronic book(E-book) is a digitalized content which provides online service and digitalized text-based information that has been distributed in the form of Paper-book. E-book has been attracting people's attention in earnest since the Steven King's novel, 'Riding the Bullet' was published as a form of E-book in 2000. Since then, customers have paid attention to E-book, and the scale of E-book market has been growing sharply in Europe, China, Japan and Korea as well as the US. The purpose of this study is for actual analysis how Paper-book and E-book market compete with each other and expand into the world publication market. The relationship between Paper-book and E-book is modeled by the Lotka-Volterra Model designed for competitive relationships and estimate spreading curves. Also, competition patterns between Paper-book and E-book are analyzed by estimating coefficient of curve expression. This study shows the change of customers' demand which has been created since E-book was introduced to the publication market.
Electronic book;Lotka-Volterra model;competition pattern
- M. Christianson, & M. Aucoin, "Electronic or print books: Which are used?", Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 71-81, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lcats.2005.01.002
- Y. Y. Kang, M. J. Wang, & R. Lin, "Usability evaluation of E-books", Displays, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 49-52, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.displa.2008.12.002
- O. Korat, & A. Shamir, "The educational electronic book as a tool for supporting children's emergent literacy in low versus middle SES groups", Computers and Education, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 110-124, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2006.04.002
- J. H. Kim, D. J. Lee, & J. K. Ahn, "A dynamic competition analysis on the Korea mobile phone market using competitive diffusion model", Computers and Industrial Engineering, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 174-182, 2008.
- S. J. Lee, H. S. Oh, & D. J. Lee, "Lotka-Volterra 모형 을 이용한 코스피와 코스닥의 경쟁 분석", 한국경영과학회 춘계학술대회논문집, pp. 1045-1051, 2002.
- P. H. Leslie, "A stochastic model for studying the properties of certain biological systems by numericalmethods", Biometrika, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 16-31, 1958. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/45.1-2.16
- A. J. Lotka, "Elements of physical biology", Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins, 1925.
- V. M. Mahajan, E. Muller, & F. M. Bass, "New product diffusion models in marketing: A review and directions for research", Journal of Marketing, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1-26, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252170
- T. Modis, "Technological forecasting at the stock market", Technological Forecasting and Social Change, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 173-202, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-1625(99)00046-3
- PWC, "Global Entertainment and Media Outlook 2009-2013", 2010.
- S. Robert, "E-books or print books, "big deals" or local selections - What gets more use?", Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 31-41, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lcats.2009.03.002
- J. T. C. Teng, V. Grover, & W. Guttler, "Information technology innovations: general diffusion patterns and its relationships to innovation characteristics", IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 13-27, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/17.985744
- D. Wellesley, "An application of the Bass model in long-term new product forecasting", Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 308-311, 1973. https://doi.org/10.2307/3149700
- S. C. Bhargava, "Generalized Lotka-Volterra Equations and the Mechanism of Technological Substitution", Technological Forecasting and Social Change, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 319-326, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1625(89)90068-1
- 김경일, "전자책 콘텐츠 산업의 현황과 전망에 관한연구", Journal of Digital Contents, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 83-88, 2006.
- 김문수, "기술 경쟁과 시장구조를 고려한 IT 수요확산 모형 개발 및 활용", 정보통신 학술연구, pp. 1-148, 2006.
- 정종원, "E-book 이용실태와 발전 전망", 한국언론정보학회, 2005.
- 한국전자출판협회, "전자출판산업동향", 8월, 2010.
- 한국콘텐츠진흥원, "해외콘텐츠시장조사(출판)", 1월, 2010.
- 한국출판문화협회, "한국출판연감", 2009.
- An estimation method for stochastic reaction model vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2015.26.4.813