- Volume 48 Issue 3
Treatment of Malodorous Waste Air Using Hybrid System
하이브리드시스템을 이용한 악취폐가스 처리
- Lee, Eun Ju (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lim, Kwang-Hee (Department of Chemical Engineering, Daegu University)
- 이은주 (경북대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 임광희 (대구대학교 화학공학과)
- Received : 2010.05.25
- Accepted : 2010.06.05
- Published : 2010.06.30
In this research hydrogen sulfide, ammonia and toluene were designated as the representative source of malodor and VOC, respectively, frequently generated at the compost manufacturing factory and publicly owned facilities. The optimum operating condition to treat the waste air(2 L/min) containing malodor was constructed using photocatalytic reactor/biofilter process with humidifier composed of fluidized aerobic anf anoxic reactor. The ammonia(300 ppmv) of fed-waste air was removed by 22, 55 and 23% at the stage of photocatalytic reactor, humidifier and biofilter, respectively. The toluene(100 ppmv) of fed-waste air was removed by 20, 10 and 70% at the stage of photocatalytic reactor, humidifier and biofilter, respectively. Therefore the water-soluble ammonia and the water-insoluble toluene were treated mainly at the stage of humidifier and biofilter, respectively. In addition, hydrogen sulfide(10 ppmv) was almost treated at the stage of photocatalytic reactor and its negligible trace was absorbed in humidifier so that it was not detected before biofilter process. The nitrate concentration of the process water from anoxic reactor was found lower by 3 ppm than that from fluidized aerobic reactor. Besides, the dissolved ammonia-nitrogen concentration of the process water from humidifier remained at the high value of 1,500-2,000 ppm, which may be attributed to the existence of ammonium chloride and other source of ammonium nitrogen.
Hybrid Process;Waste-Air;Biofilter;Photocatalytic Reactor;Humidifier;Fluidized Aerobic Reactor;Anoxic Reactor
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- Hirai, M., Ohtake, M. and Shoda, M., "Removal Kinetics of Hydrogen Sulfide, Methanethiol and Dimethyl Sulfide by Peat Biofilters," J. Ferment. Bioeng., 70, 334-339(1990). https://doi.org/10.1016/0922-338X(90)90145-M
- Chris, E., Chris, Q., Peter, B., Jay, W. and Dirk, A., "Odor and Emissions Control Using Biotechnology for Both Collection and Wastewater Treatment Systems," Chem. Eng. J., 113, 93-104(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2005.04.007
- Islander, R. I., Devinny, J. S., Mansfield, F., Postyn, A. and Shin, H., "Microbial Ecology of Crown Corrosions in Sewers," J. Environ. Eng., 117, 751-770(1990).
- Oyarzun, P., Arancibia, F., Canales, C. and Aroca, G. E., "Biofiltration of High Concentration of Hydrogen Sulfide Using Thiobacillus thioparus," Process Biochemistry, 39, 165-170(2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(03)00050-5
- Cho, K.-S., Ryu, H. W. and Lee, N. Y., "Biological Deodorization of Hydrogen Sulfide Using Porous Lava as a Carrier of Thiobacillus thioxidants," J. Biosci. Bioeng., 90, 25-31(2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1389-1723(00)80029-8
- Wani, A. H., Branion, M. R. and Lau, A. K., "Effects of Periods of Starvation and Fluctuating Hydrogen Sulfide Concentration on Biofilter Dynamics and Performance," J. Hazard. Mater., 60, 287-303(1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(98)00154-X
- Chung, Y.-C., Huang, C. and Tseng, C.-P., "Biodegradation of Hydrogen Sulfide by a Laboratory-scale Immobilized Pseudomonas putida CH11 Biofilter," Biotechnol. Progress, 12, 773-778(1996a). https://doi.org/10.1021/bp960058a
- Chung, Y.-C., Huang, C. and Tseng, C.-P., "Operation Optimization of Thiobacillus thioparus CH11 in a Biofilter for Hydrogen Sulfide Removal," J. Biotechnol., 52, 31-38(1996b). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1656(96)01622-7
Chung, Y.-C., Huang, C. and Tseng, C.-P., "Biological Elimination of
$H_2S$and $NH_3$from Wastegases by Biofilter Packed with Immobilized Heterotrophic Bacteria," Chemosphere, 43, 1043-1050(2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(00)00211-3
Cox, H. H. J. and Deshusses, M. A., "Co-treatment of
$H_2S$and Toluene in a Biotrickling Filter," Chem. Eng. J., 87, 101-110(2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1385-8947(01)00222-4
- Shareefdeen, Z., Herner, B., Webb, D., Verhaeghe, L. and Wilson, S., "An Odor Predictive Model for Rendering Applications," Chem. Eng. J., 113, 215-220(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2005.03.006
- Ottengraf, S. P. P., Exhaust gas purification, Biotechnology (H.J., Rehm, G. Reed, eds) Vol. 8, pp.426-452, VCH, Weinheim, Germany(1986).
- Deshusses, M. A., Hamer, G. and Dunn, I. J., "Behaviour of Biofilters for Waste Air Biotreatment. 1. Dynamic Model Develpement," Environ. Sci. Technol., 29, 1048-1058(1995). https://doi.org/10.1021/es00004a027
- Deshusses, M. A. and Dunn, I. J., Modelling experiments on the kinetics of mixed-solvent removal from waste gas in a biofilter, Proceedings of the 6th European Congress on Biotechnology (L. Alberghina, L. Frontali and P. Sensi eds.), pp.1191-1198, Elsevier Science B. V.(1994).
- Deshusses, M. A. and Hamer, G., "The Removal of Volatile Ketone Mixtures from Air in Biofilters," Bioprocess Eng., 9, 141-146(1993). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389921
- Lim, K.-H. and Lee, E. J., "Biofilter Modeling for Waste Air Treatment: Comparisons of Inherent Characteristics of Biofilter Models," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 20(2), 315-327(2003). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02697247
- Buchner, R., "Auswirkungen Verschiedener Betriebszustande in der Biologischen Abluftreinigung am Beispiel von Biofiltern," Ph. D. Thesis, T. U. Wien, Austria(1989).
- Leson, G. and Winer, A. M., "Biofiltration: An Innovative Air Pollution Control Technology for VOC Emissions," J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., 41, 1045-1054(1991). https://doi.org/10.1080/10473289.1991.10466898
- Sorial, G. A., Smith, F. L., Suidan, M. T. and Biswas, P., "Evaluation of Trickle Bed Biofilter Media for Toluene Removal," J. Air Waste Manage. Assoc., 45, 801-810(1995). https://doi.org/10.1080/10473289.1995.10467410
- Lim, K. H., Park, S. W., Lee, E. J. and Hong, S. H., "Treatment of Mixed Solvent Vapors with Hybrid System Composed of Biofilter and Photo-catalytic Reactor," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 22(1), 70-79(2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02701465
- Lim, K-. H., Park, S. W. and Lee, E. J., "Effect of Temperature on the Performance of a Biofilter Inoculated with Pseudomonas Putida to Treat Waste-air Containing Ethanol," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 22(6), 922-926(2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02705676
- Lim, K. H. and Park, S. W., "The Treatment of Waste-air Containing Mixed Solvent Using Biofilter: 1. Transient Behavior of Biofilter to Treat Waste-air Containing Ethanol," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 21(6), 1161-1167(2004). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02719488
- Chung, Y.-J., "Odor Removal by Using Compost and Granular Scrap Tires," J. KSWW, 13(1), 43-53(1999).
Park, S. J. and Seo, J. S., "A Study on
$H_2S/NH_3$Odor Removal Using Wood - Charcoal," J. Korean Solid Waste Engineering Society, 17(3), 243-251(2000).
- Ramiro, G. M. and Danny, L. R., "Compatibility of Ammonia Suppressants Used in Poultry Litter with Mushroom Compost Preparation and Production," Bioresour. Technol., 97, 1679-1686(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.07.029
- Kim, K. Y. and Choi, H. L., "Animal Residue and Environment : On-site Evaluation on Odor Emissions from Livestock Manure Composting Facilities in the Han River Basin," J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.), 43(6), 1005-1018(2001).
- Kazutaka, K., Takashi, O., Mitihiro, Y., Akane, K., Takako, N., Sigenori, M. and Tomoko, N., "Emissions of Malodorous Compunds and Greenhouse Gases from Composting Swine Feces," Bioresour. Technol., 56, 265-271(1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0960-8524(96)00047-8
- Fami, Nishihima, W. and Okada, M., "Improvement of DOC Removal by Multi-stage AOP Biodegradation Process," In Proceeding of Enviro 2002 & IWA 3rd World Water Conference, Melbourne, Australia(2002).
- Scheck, C. K. and Frimmel, F. H., "Degradation of Phenol and Salicylic Acid by Ultraviolet Radiation/Hydrogenperoxide/Oxygen," Water Res., 29(10), 2346-2352(1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(95)00060-X
- Lim, K.-H., Jung, Y.-J., Park, L. S. and Min, K.-S., "Preparation and Characteristics of Media from Waste Tire Powder for Wastewater Treatment," HWAHAK KONGHAK, 39(5), 600-606(2001).
- Lee, E. J. and Lim, K.-H., "Evaluation of Adsorption Characteristics of the Media for Biofilter Design," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 46(5), 808-815(2008).