- Volume 48 Issue 3
Determination of the Cetane Number, Derived Cetane Number and Cetane Index for Diesel Fuel by Additives
첨가제에 따른 경유연료의 세탄가 유도세탄가 및 세탄지수 분석
- Lim, Young-Kwan (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Kim, Jong-Ryeol (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Jung, Choong-Sup (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Yim, Eui Soon (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Kim, DongKil (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management)
- 임영관 (한국석유관리원 연구센터) ;
- 김종렬 (한국석유관리원 연구센터) ;
- 정충섭 (한국석유관리원 연구센터) ;
- 임의순 (한국석유관리원 연구센터) ;
- 김동길 (한국석유관리원 연구센터)
- Received : 2010.01.11
- Accepted : 2010.04.12
- Published : 2010.06.30
Cetane number of diesel fuel for compression ignition engine is one of main properties for fuel ignition quality. Recently the cetane index has been replaced the cetane number in order to resolve the disadvantage of CFR engine test, but these two value have slightly difference values due to addition of various additives. In this study, we analyzed the cetane number, derived cetane number and cetane index for diesel fuel which was blended with various ratios of biodiesel, kerosene and cetane improver as additives. As a result, Cetane number showed the similar value with derived cetane number, but cetane index showed quite different value with cetane number when biodiesel and cetane improver were used as additives.
Diesel;Cetane Number;DCN(derived cetane number);Cetane Index;Additives
- Kang, I. J. and Jeong, C. S., "Correlation Between Domestic Diesel Fuel Properties and Cetane Number," HWAHAK KONGHAK, 38(3), 348-354(2000).
- Tilton, J. A., Smith, W. M. and Hockberger, W. G., "Production of High Cetane Number Diesel Fuels by Hydrogenation," Ind. Eng. Chem., 40(7), 1269-1273(1948). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50463a021
- Ghosh, P. and Jaffe, S. B., "Detailed Composition-Based Model for Predicting the Cetane Number of Diesel Fuels," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 45, 346-351(2006). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie0508132
- Ghosh, P., "Predicting the Effect of Cetane Improvers on Diesel Fuels," Energy. Fuels, 22(2), 1073-1079(2008). https://doi.org/10.1021/ef0701079
- Suppes, G. J., Rui, Y., Rome, A. C. and Chen, Z., "Cetane-Improver Analysis and Impact of Activation Energy on the Relative Performance of 2-Ethylhexyl Nitrate and Tetraethylene Glycol Dinitrate," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 36, 4397-4404(1997). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie9702284
- Deng, Y., Zhu, M., Xiang, D. and Cheng, X., "An Analysis for Effect of Cetane Number on Exhaust Emissions from Engine with the Neural Network," Fuel, 81, 1963-1970(2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-2361(02)00112-6
- ASTM D613-08, "Standard Test Method for Cetane Number of Diesel Fuel Oil".
- M ISO 4264 : 2003, "Petroleum Products-Calculation of Cetane Index of Middle-Distillate Fuels by the Four-Variable Equation".
- ASTM D6890-08, "Standard Test Method for Determination of Ignition Delay and Derived Cetane Number(DCN) of Diesel Fuel Oils by Combustion in a Constant Volume Chamber".
- Kim, S. S., Kim, K. H., Shin, S. C. and Yim, E. S., "Current Status of Policy and Market for Biodiesel in Korea," J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 18(5), 401-406(2007).
- Lim, Y. K., Shin, S. C., Yim, E. S. and Song, H. O., "The Effective Product Method of Biodiesel," J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 19(2), 137-144(2008).
- Suppes, G. J. and Dasari, M. A., "Synthesis and Evaluation of Alkyl Nitrates from Triglycerides as Cetane Improvers," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 42, 5042-5053(2003). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie030015g
- Hashimoto, K., Ikeda, M., Arai, M. and Tamura, M., "Cetane Number Improvement of Diesel Fuel by Autoxidation," Energy. Fuels, 10(6), 1147-1149(1996). https://doi.org/10.1021/ef960090m