- Volume 48 Issue 3
Recovery of Lactic Acid Using Reactive Dividing Wall Column
분리벽형 반응증류탑을 이용한 젖산회수
- Woo, Daesik (Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Youngmin (Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Kim, Bo-kyung (Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Hwang, Hwidong (Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Han, Myungwan (Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- 우대식 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 조영민 (한국에너지기술연구원) ;
- 김보경 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 황휘동 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 한명완 (충남대학교 화학공학과)
- Received : 2010.01.21
- Accepted : 2010.03.23
- Published : 2010.06.30
Lactic acid is widely used in the food, chemical and pharmaceutical industries, and there is an increasing demand for lactic acid as the raw material of poly lactic acid(PLA), which is a biodegradable polymer. Lactic acid production has been changing over from production by synthesis to production by fermentation, since the fermentation process is more nature friendly and economic. However, the fermentation method generates excess water and impurities with high boilers. The presence of high boilers and non volatility of lactic acid makes the separation of lactic acid very difficult job. Also, the purification-separation process requires the many investment costs and energy costs. Reactive distillation concept was also introduced for the process, giving higher selectivity and yield compared to the convention method. We introduce a new highly integrated process, reactive diving wall column, to reduce the capital and energy cost for producing a pure lactic acid. The reactive dividing wall column combines reactive distillation and dividing wall column. We compared capital and energy consumption required for the purification of lactic acid the between the proposed design structures. And we examined the effect of major process variables on the process performance and determined optimal process.
Lactic Acid;Reactive Distillation;Recovery;RDWC
Supported by : 지식경제부
- Datta, R., "Hydrocarboxylic Acids," Kirk-Orthmer Encycloedia of Chemical Technology, 13, 1042(1995).
- Husson, B. S., "Regeneration of Basic Adsorbents in the Recovery of Carboxylic Acids from Dilute Aqueous Solution and Multiple Acid Equilibria in Adsorption of Carboxylic Acids from Dilute Aqueous Solution," Ph.D..Thesis, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kertes, A. S. and C. J. King, "Extraction Chemistry of Fermentation Product Carboxylic Acids," Biotech. Bioeng, 28, 269(1986). https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.260280217
- Timmer, J. M. K., Kromkamp, J. and Robbetsen, T., "Lactic Acid Separation from Fermentation Broths by Reserve Osmosis and Nanofiltration," J. Membr. Sci., 92, 185(1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-7388(94)00061-1
- Subawalla, H. and Fair, J. R., "Design Guidelines for Solid-catalyzed Reactive Distillation Systems," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 38, 3696(1999). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie990008l
- Degarmo, J. L., Parulekar, V. N. and Pinjala, V., "Consider Reactive Distillation," Chem. Eng. Prog., 43, 1992(1992).
- Choi, J. and Hong, W., "Recovery of Lactic Acid by Batch Distillation with Chemical Reactions Using ion Exchange Resin," J. Chem. Eng. Jpn., 32, 184(1999). https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.32.184
- Choi, J., Hong, W. and Chang, H., "Reaction Kinetics of Lactic Acid with Methanol Catalyzed by Acid Resins," Int. J. Chem. Kinet., 28, 37(1996). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4601(1996)28:1<37::AID-KIN5>3.0.CO;2-N
- Seo, Y. and Hong, W., "Kinetics of Esterification of Lactic Acid with Methanol in the Presence of Cation Exchange Resin Using a Pseudo-Homogeneous Model," J. Chem. Eng. Jpn., 33, 128(2000). https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.33.128
- Kumar, R., Nanavati, H., Noronha, S. B. and Mahajani, S. M., "Recovery of Lactic Acid by Batch Reactive Distillation," J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 81, 1141(2006). https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.1444
- Kumar, R., Mahajani, S. M., Nanavati, H. and Noronha, S. B., "A Continuous Process for the Recovery of Lactic Acid by Reactive Distillation," J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 81, 1767(2006). https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.1603
- Kumar, R. and Mahajani, S. M., "Esterification of Lactic Acid with n-butanol by Reactive Distillation," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 46, 6873(2007). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie061274j
- Asthana, N., Kolah, A., Vu, D. T., Lira, C. T. and Miller, D. J., "A Continuous Reactive Separation Process for Ethyl Lactate Formation," Organic Process Research & Development, 9, 599(2005). https://doi.org/10.1021/op0500640
- Thomas, A. A. and Warren, D. S., "Semicontinuous Distillation for Ethyl Lactate Production," AIChE J., 54, 2539(2008). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.11585
- Sanz, M. T., Murga, R., Beltran, S., Carezas, J. L. and Coca. J., "Kinetic Study for the Reactive System of Lactic Acid Esterification with Methanol: Methyl Lactate Hydrolysis Reaction," Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 43, 2049(2004). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie034031p
- Sanz, M. and Gmehling, J., "Isothermal Vapor-liquid Equilibrium, Excess Enthalpy Data, and Activity Coefficients at Infinite Dilution for the Binary System Water + Methyl Lactate," J. Chem. Eng. Data., 50, 85(2005). https://doi.org/10.1021/je049824c
- Edgar, T. F. and Himmelblau, D. M., "Optimization of Chemical Process," McGraw-Hill, 7(1988).
- Hu, M., Zhou, X. G. and Yuan, W. K., "Simulation and Optimization of a Coupled Reactor/Column System for Trioxane Synthesis," Chem. Eng. Sci., 54, 1353(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2509(99)00072-X