- Volume 48 Issue 3
Analysis of Fluid Flows in a Stirred Tank Using Computational Fluid Dynamics
전산유체역학을 이용한 교반탱크 내 유체흐름 해석
- Kim, Mi Jin (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Kyung Mi (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Park, Kyun Young (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- 김미진 (공주대학교 화학공학부) ;
- 이경미 (공주대학교 화학공학부) ;
- 박균영 (공주대학교 화학공학부)
- Received : 2010.01.15
- Accepted : 2010.03.10
- Published : 2010.06.30
The flow patterns in a stirred tank, 1m in diameter and 1 m in height, were studied using CFX, a commercial computational fluid dynamics program, with the impeller rotation speed, the impeller blade angle and the tank-bottom shape varied and the baffles included or excluded. A vortex was observed in the center of the tank in the absence of the baffles, and the intensity of the vortex increased with increasing the rotation speed. The vortex was considerably reduced in the presence of the baffles. An increase in the blade angle increased the vertical flow and decreased the vortex intensity. The flow in the corners of the tank bottom turned smoother as the tank bottom was varied in shape from flat to round.
Stirred Tank;Flow Pattern;Numerical Analysis;Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Choi, B. S., Wan, B., Philyaw, S., Dhanasekharan, K. and Ring, T. A., "Residence Time Distributions in a Stirred Tank: Comparison of CFD Predictions with Experiment," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 43(20), 6548-6556(2004). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie0308240
- Rudniak, L., Machniewski, P. M., Milewska, A. and Molga, E., "CFD Modelling of Stirred Tank Chemical Reactors: Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Reaction Systems," Chem. Eng. Sci., 59(22-23), 5233-5239(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2004.09.014
- Vakili, M. H. and Nasr Esfahany, M., "CFD Analysis of Turbulence in a Baffled Stirred Tank, a Three-Compartment Model," Chem. Eng. Sci., 64, 351-362(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2008.10.037
- Deglon, D. A. and Meyer, C. J., "CFD Modelling of Stirred Tanks: Numerical Considerations," Miner. Eng., 19(10), 1059-1068(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2006.04.001
- Magnico, P. and Fongarland, P., "CFD Simulations of Two Stirred Tank Reactors with Stationary Catalytic Basket," Chem. Eng. Sci., 61(2), 1217-1236(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2005.07.025
- Ahn, I., Song, A. and Hur, N., "Transient Flow Simulation of a Mixer with Free Surface," Korean Soc. Comput. Fluids Eng., 11(4), 9-13(2006).
- Park, K., Park, K. Y., Ju, J. and Park, J. T., "Calculation of Spray Drying Using Computational Fluid Dynamics," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 40(4), 507-515(2002).
- Ju, J. S., Shin, S. B., Lee, H. S., Lee, M. W. and Hong, C. S., "Analysis of Cement Kiln Burners by Using Computational Fluid Dynamics," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 37(6), 850-856(1999).
- Kerdouss, F., Bannari, A. and Proulx, P., "CFD Modeling of Gas Dispersion and Bubble Size in a Double Turbine Stirred Tank," Chem. Eng. Sci., 61(10), 3313-3322(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2005.11.061
- CFX4 Solver Manual, AEA Technology(1997).
- Rahimi, M. and Pavareh, A., "Experimental and CFD Investigation on Mixing by a Jet in a Semi-Industrial Stirred Tank," Chem. Eng. J., 115(1-2), 85-92(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2005.09.021
- Launder, B. E. and Spaldng, D. B., "The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows," Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 3(2), 269-289(1974). https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(74)90029-2