- Volume 10 Issue 4
This paper proposes a method for improving the isolation characteristic of multi-input multi-output (MIMO) antennas using a split ring resonator (SRR) array structure between the two radiating elements. The fabricated antenna satisfies the 10 dB return loss requirement in the Mobile-WiMAX frequency band from 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz. The isolation between the two radiating elements is improved by approximately 20 dB at the center frequency by inserting a SRR array structure. The measured peak gains of the two elements are 2.3 dBi and 2.4 dBi, respectively.
MIMO;Split Ring Resonator;Isolation Characteristic;Metamaterial
- D. A. Sanchez-Hernandez, Multiband Integrated Antennas for 4G Terminals, Artech House, Inc., 2008.
- K. Kim, K. Park, "The high isolation dual-band inverted F antenna diversity system with the small N-section resonators on the ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 49, pp. 731-734, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.22238
- S. Hong, K. Chung, J. Lee, S. Jung, S. Lee, and J. Choi, "Design of a diversity antenna with stubs for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 50, 1352-1356, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.23389
- C. Hsu, K. Lin, H. Su, H. Lin, and C. Wu, "Design of MIMO antennas with strong isolation for portable applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, pp. 1-4, 2009.
- R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, Wiley Inter-Science, 2008.
- C. C. Courtney, "Time-domain measurement of the electromagnetic properties of materials," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 46, pp. 517-522, May 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.668650
- R. W. Ziolkowski, "Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials," IEEE Transaction on Antennas Propagation, vol. 51, pp. 1516- 1529, Jul. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2003.813622
- Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ver.11.1, ANSYS Inc.
- S. Blanch, J. Romeu, and I. Cobella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, vol. 39, pp. 705-707, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20030495
- Hybrid MIMO Antenna Using Interconnection Tie for Eight-Band Mobile Handsets vol.15, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.3.185
- Design of a Double-Faced Monopole Antenna Using the Coupling Effect of Induced Currents vol.23, pp.12, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2012.23.12.1327
- Control of Phase and Phase Slope with Reinvestigation of 1D CRLH Transmission Lines vol.12, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.4.280
- MIMO-configured WLAN access point antenna with high port isolation vol.31, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09205071.2017.1319300
- Design of a MIMO Antenna Using a RF MEMS Element vol.24, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2013.24.12.1113