- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Emission Characteristics of Mercury in Zn Smelting Process
아연제련시설에서의 수은 배출특성
- Park, Jung-Min ;
- Lee, Sang-Bo ;
- Kim, Hyung-Chun ;
- Song, Duk-Jong ;
- Kim, Min-Su ;
- Kim, Min-Jung ;
- Kim, Yong-Hee ;
- Lee, Sang-Hak ;
- Kim, Jong-Chun ;
- Lee, Suk-Jo
- Received : 2010.04.13
- Accepted : 2010.08.20
- Published : 2010.10.31
Stationary combustion sources such as coal-fired power plants, waste incinerators, industrial manufacturing, etc. are recognized as major sources of mercury emissions. Due to rapid economic growth, zinc production in Korea has increased significantly during the last 30 years. Total zinc production in Korea exceeded 739,000 tons in 2008, and Korea is currently the third largest zinc producing country in the world. Previous studies have revealed that zinc smelting has become one of the largest single sectors of total mercury emissions in the World. However, studies on this sector are very limited, and a large gap in the knowledge regarding emissions from this sector needs to be bridged. In this paper, Hg emission measurements were performed to develop emission factors from zinc smelting process. Stack sampling and analysis were carried out utilizing the Ontario Hydro method and US EPA method 101A. Preliminary data showed that
Zinc smelting process;Emission factor;Mercury emission
- 국립환경과학원(2006a) 대기 중 수은의 측정방법 평가 및 실태조사(I).
- 국립환경과학원(2006b) 환경매체별 유기수은 시험방법 확립 및 분포현상 연구(I).
- 국립환경과학원(2008) 대기배출시설에 대한 수은 배출량 조사.
- 국립환경과학원(2009) 국내 수은 연구 전문가 워크숍 자료집.
- 김수태(2000) 한국 비철금속산업의 현황과 경쟁력 육성방안에 대한 연구, 한국외국어대학교 석사학위논문, pp. 3-23.
- 고려아연(2010) 제련과정보기, http://www.koreazinc.co.kr.
- 한국비철금속협회(2008) 통계정보, http://www.nonferrous.or.kr.
- 환경부(2009) 대기환경보전법.
- Biawas, P. and C.Y. Wu (1998) Control of toxic metal emissions from Combustors using sorbents, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 48, 113-127. https://doi.org/10.1080/10473289.1998.10463657
- Brown, T.D., D.N. Smith, N. Dennis, A. Richard, and W.J. O’Dowd (1999) Mercury measurement and its control, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 49, 628-640. https://doi.org/10.1080/10473289.1999.10463844
- Choi, E.M., S.H. Kim, T.M. Holsen, and S.M. Yi (2009) Total gaseous concentrations in mercury in Seoul, Korea: Local sources compared to long-range transport from China and Japan, Environmental Pollution, 157, 816-822. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2008.11.023
- Feng, X. and G. Qiu (2008) Mercury pollution in Guizhou, Science of the Total Environment, 400, 227-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.05.040
- Friedli, H.R., L.F. Radke, and J.Y. Lu (2001) Mercury in smoke from biomass fires, Geophysical Research letters, 28, 3223-3226. https://doi.org/10.1029/2000GL012704
- Friedli, H.R., L.F. Radke, J.Y. Lu, C.M. Banic, W.R. Leaitch, and J.I. MacPherson (2003a) Mercury emissions from burning of biomass from temperate North American forest: laboratory and airborne measurements, Atmospheric Environment, 37, 253-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(02)00819-1
- Friedli, H.R., L.F. Radke, R. Prescott, P.V. Hobbs, and P. Sinha (2003b) Mercury emissions from the August 2001 wildfires in Washington State and an agricultural waste fire in Oregon and atmospheric mercury budget estimates, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 17, 1039. https://doi.org/10.1029/2002GB001972
- Hylander, L.D. (2001) Global mercury pollution and its expected decrease after a mercury trade ban, Water, Air and soil pollution, 125, 331-344. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005231017807
- Jurng, J.S. and S.G. Shim (2009) Mercury research and management in Korea, J. Korean Soc. Atmos. Environ., 25(2), 99-107. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2009.25.2.099
- Li, G., X. Feng, G. Qiu, X. Bi, Z. Li, C. Zhang, D. Wang, L. Shang, and Y. Guo (2008) Environmental mercury contamination of an artisanal zinc smelting area in Weining County, Guizhou, China, Environmental Pollution, 154, 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2007.11.012
- Li, P., X.B. Feng, G.L. Qiu, L.H. Shang, and Z.G. Li (2009) Mercury pollution in Asia, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 168, 591-601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.03.031
- Merck (2006) Merck Index 14th.
- Nguyen, H.T., M.Y. Kim, and K.H. Kim (2010) The influence of long-range transport on atmospheric mercury on Jeju Island, Korea, Science of the Total Environment, 408, 1295-1307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.10.029
- Nriagu, J.O. and J.M. Pacyna (1988) Quantitative assessment of worldwide contamination of air, water and soils by trace metals, Nature, 333, 134-139. https://doi.org/10.1038/333134a0
- Pacyna, E.G. and J.M Pacyna (2002) Global emission of atmospheric mercury anthropogenic souces in 1995, Water, Air and soil pollution, 137, 149-165. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015502430561
- Prestbo, E.M. and N.S. Bloom (1993) Recent Advances in the Measurement of Mercury species in Combustion Flue gas using solid phase adsorption and cold vapor atomic fluorescence spectroscopy, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association for Presentation at the 86th Annual meeting & exhibition, 93-TA-32.05.
- Pudasainee, D., J.H. Kim, and Y.C. Seo (2009) Mercury emission trend influenced by stringent air pollutants regulation for coal-fired power plants in Korea, Atmospheric Environment, 43, 6254-6259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.06.007
- Streets, D.G., J. Hao, Y. Wu, J. Jiang, M. Chan, H. Tian, and X. Feng (2005) Anthropogenic mercury emissions in China, Atmospheric Environment, 39, 7789-7806. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2005.08.029
- UNEP (2002) Global Mercury Assessment.
- UNEP (2005) Technical Background Report to the Global Atmospheric Mercury Assessment.
- US EPA (2002) Research and Development: Characterization and Management of Residues from Coal-fired Power Plants, EPA-600/R-02-083.
- A Study on the Development of the Mercury Emission Factor from Coal-fired Power Plant vol.28, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2012.28.2.172
- New Insight into Atmospheric Mercury Emissions from Zinc Smelters Using Mass Flow Analysis vol.49, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1021/es505723a
- Estimation of Mercury Emission from Major Sources in Annex D of Minamata Convention and Future Trend vol.32, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2016.32.2.193
- Mercury flows in a zinc smelting facility in South Korea vol.19, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10163-015-0381-z
- A Study on the Mercury Emission Characteristic and Comparison Tests for Applicability of Latest Mercury Measuring Methods : Focus on the Cement Kiln vol.33, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2017.33.3.241