- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Experiment of CNG as a Clean Fuel for Automobiles in Korea
- Chauhan, Bhupendra Singh (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Cho, Haeng-Muk (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2009.09.17
- Accepted : 2010.08.31
- Published : 2010.10.31
Gasoline engines have proven their utility in light, medium and heavy duty vehicles. Concern about long term availability of petroleum and the environment norms by the increased vehicular emission have mandated the search for safe fuel. CNG is an environmentally clean alternative to the existing spark ignition engines with the advantages of minimum change. A higher octane number and a higher self ignition temperature make it an attractive gaseous fuel. The thermal efficiency is better than gasoline for the same engine. The reduced carbon mono oxide, carbon di-oxide, hydrocarbon emissions is a favorable outcome along with a slight increase in
Clean fuel;Exhaust emissions;Natural gas vehicles etc
- Aslam, M.U., H.H. Masjuki, M.A. Kalam, H. Abdesselam, T.M.I. Mahlia, and M.A. Amalina (2006) An experimental investigation of CNG as an alternative fuel for a Retrofitted gasoline vehicle. Fuel 85, 5-6, 717-724. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2005.09.004
- Graham Lisa, A., R. Greg, R. Deborah, and J. Hendren (2008) Greenhouse gas emissions from heavyduty vehicles, Atmospheric Environment, 42, 4665-4681. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.01.049
- Han, Y.C., J.H. Ryu, Y.S. Oh, H.W. Lee, and H.I. Kang (2000) A exhaust gas study by EGR in heavy duty diesel engine, J. Korean Soc. Atmos. Environ., 18(3), 285-291. (in Korean with English abstract)
- John, K. (1992) Effect of gas composition on octane number of natural gas fuels, SAE 922359.
- Kim, D.W., D.S. Eom, S.M. Kim, J.H. Ryu, Y.S. Ryu, D.M. Lee, and W.G. Lee (2008) A study on exhaust characteristics of heavy-duty engine by Bio-diesel and EGR, KOSAE Conference paper, pp. 314-315.
- Kim, K., H. Kim, B. Kim, and K. Lee (1999) Effect of gas compositions on fuel economy and exhaust emissions of natural gas vehicles, KSAE 7, 8, 123-131.
- Linoa, P., M. Bruno, and A. Claudio (2008) Modelling and predictive control of a new injection system for compressed natural gas engines, Control Engineering Practice, 16, 1216-1230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2008.01.008
- Ryu, K. and B. Kim (2006) Development of conversion technology of a decrepit diesel vehicle to the dedicated natural gas vehicle, KSAE 14, 6, 73-81.