- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of American Consumer Interest in Bulgogi: Application of Importance-Performance Analysis in the U.S. Market
- Received : 2010.10.11
- Accepted : 2010.12.01
- Published : 2010.12.31
This study used importance-performance analysis of different attributes of Bulgogi to investigate Americans' interest in this food. The results of this study will help determine the potential of expanding its consumption in the American foodservice market. Questionnaires were distributed to 200 diners in Korean restaurants located in New York, U.S.A. from July 13 to Oct 8, 2009. A total of 172 copies were returned and analyzed in this study. Statistical analyses were conducted using SPSS 17.0. Of the total subjects, 74.4% were already familiar with Bulgogi and 69.2% had at least one experience trying it. Targeting the respondents who had eaten Bulgogi, preference and satisfaction toward the dish, as well as the intention to repurchase and recommend it to others, were examined, and scores were found to be very high at 4.53, 4.46, 4.26, and 4.47 points, respectively, on a 5-point scale. According to importance-performance analysis, the top five Bulgogi attributes in importance were taste, freshness, flavor, tenderness, and juiciness, and those for performance were freshness, flavor, taste, tenderness, and overall acceptability. However, sweetness and saltiness showed relatively lower performance and ease of purchase was noted as an attribute needing improvement. Therefore, American consumers' needs for Bulgogi should be met by enhancing its flavor, while maintaining the traditional taste, as well as by supplementing the channels providing Bulgogi.
- National Restaurant Association. 2010. Rstaurant industry overview. Available from: http://www.restaurant.org. Accessed 2 March 2010.
- Sloan AE. 2002. Fast and casual, today's foodservice trends. Food Tech 56: 34-54.
- Liu Y, Jang S. 2009. Perception of Chinese restaurants in the U.S.: what affects customer satisfaction and behavioral intentions? International J Hospitality Management 28: 338-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2008.10.008
- Agriculture Marketing Resource Center. Ethnic foods market profile. Available from http://www.agmrc.org. Accessed 23 August 2010.
- Lee KJ, Cho MS. 2008. Content analysis of the New York Times on Korean restaurants from 1980 to 2005. J Foodservice Management Society of Korea 11: 281-306.
- Chang MJ, Cho M. 2000. Recognition and preference to Korean traditional food of foreign visitors in Korea. Korean J Dietary Culture 15: 215-223.
- Byun JO, Han JS, Oh OH. 2001. The Korean Americans' knowledge on Korean traditional foods (II)-preference and frequency. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 11: 140-150.
- Seo J, Kwock Y, Yu J. 2001. A study on the Korean restaurant's strategy through the survey of ethnic cuisine within the US market. J Foodservice Management Society of Korea 4: 125-147.
- Lee KR, Lee JM, Cho MS. 2008. A research on Swedish university students' perception of Asian food-focused on Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Korean food. Korean J Food Culture 23: 348-355.
- Park SH, Lee MA, Cha SM, Kwock CK, Yang IS, Kim DH. 2010. Analyzing foreign consumers' perceived brand image of Korean food. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 655-662.
- KFRI. 2003. Technology roadmaps for R&D strategy of KFRI. Korea Food Research Institute, Gyeonggi-do, Korea. p 56.
- KFRI. 2008. Developing marketing model of Korean food. Korea Food Research Institute, Gyeonggi-do, Korea. p 146-152.
- Bai YH, Zhao J. 2003. Marketing strategy for Korean restaurants in Florida－through view of customers' preference, recognition and satisfaction. J Foodservice Management Society of Korea 6: 85-100.
- Joo N, Kennon LR, Sim YJ, Lee KA, Jeong HS, Park SJ, Chun HJ. 2001. The perception and preference of American residing in Korea for Korean traditional food. J Korean Home Economics Association 39: 15-23.
- Lee KJ, Cho MS, Lee JM. 2007. Content analysis of the New York Times on Korean food from 1980 to 2005. Korean J Food Culture 22: 289-298.
- Choi J, Lee JM. 2010. The perception and attitude of food experts in New York city toward Korean food－assessed by in-depth interviews of "foodies". Korean J Food Culture 25: 126-133.
- Han JS, Huh SM, Kim MH. 1995. American's acceptance of Korean foods. J Research Yeungnam University 14: 93-99.
- Yoon HR. 2005. A study on recognition and preference of Korean foods for foreigners in different nationality. Korean J Food Culture 20: 367-373.
- Hong SP, Lee MA, Kim EM, Chae IS. 2007. Sensory evaluation of Korean traditional foods for Americans. Korean J Food Culture 22: 801-807.
- Hong SP, Kim YH, Yang JN, Chae IS, Shin DB. 2008. Sensory evaluation of dining staffs at UCLA for Korean foods. Korean J Food Culture 23: 705-712.
- Jang S, Ha A, Silkes C. 2009. Perceived attributes of Asian foods: from the perspective of the American customers. International J Hospitality Management 28: 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2008.03.007
- Na JK. 2007. A study on globalization of Korean restaurants. Journal of Foodservice Management Society of Korea 10: 155-179.
- Na JK. 2008. A study on the localization models development for the Korean restaurant. J Foodservice Management Society of Korea 11: 307-336.
- Bae YJ. 2005. A study on global marketing strategy of Korean traditional cuisine: focusing on Bulgogi. MS Thesis. Soonchunhyang University, Chungnam, Korea.
- Banovic M, Grunert KG, Barreira MM, Fontes MA. 2009. Beef quality perception at the point of purchase: a study from Portugal. Food Qual Preference 20: 335-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2009.02.009
- Zeithmal VA, Bitner MJ. 2006. Service marketing. 4th ed. McGraw Hill Print-company, Boston, MA, USA. p 78-80.
- Kim JS. 2005. Universalizing Korean food. Korean J Food Culture 20: 499-507.
- Martilla J, James J. 1977. Importance-Performance Analysis. J Marketing 41: 77-79. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250495
- Oh H. 2001. Revisiting Importance-Performance Analysis. Tourism Management 22: 617-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(01)00036-X
- Dolinsky JE, Caputo RK. 1991. Adding a comparative dimension to Importance-Performance Analysis: an application to traditional health care system. Health Marketing Quarterly 8: 61-79. https://doi.org/10.1300/J026v08n03_03
- Lee JY, Kim KJ, Park YH, Kim HR. Preference and perception of Korean foods of foreign consumers by nationality. Korean J Food Culture 25: 9-16.
- Sim YJ, Jung BM, Kim ES, Joo NM. 2000. A survey for the international spread of Korean food from the Korean residence in the U.S. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 8-13.
- Cross-cultural Investigation on Chinese and Korean Consumers’ Reasons for Liking and Disliking for Bulgogi Using Check-all-that-apply Questionnaire vol.29, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.6.567