- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Experimental Study on the Energy Separation of the Vortex Tube for EGR Cooler
EGR Cooler 대체용 Vortex Tube의 에너지 분리 현상에 관한 실험적 연구
- Kim, Chang-Su (Mechanical Engineering Dept., Graduate School, Kongju National University) ;
- Park, Sung-Young (Div. of Automotive & Mechanical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Published : 2010.01.31
Vortex tube is the device that can separate small particles from the compressed gas, as well as compressed gas into hot and cold flow. Due to energy separation ability, a vortex tube can substitute for an EGR cooler of the automotive engine. In this study, experimental approach has been performed to analyze the energy separation characteristics of the vortex tube. Energy separation characteristics of the vortex tube has been tested for supply pressure, cold-out pressure, and hot-out pressure. As increasing supply pressure, energy separation effect increased. Maximum temperature exists about 0.85 of the cold-out-flow-ratio, and minimum exists about 0.35. Hot-out temperature of the vortex tube is affected by the hot-out and cold-out pressure. However, for the given conditions, cold-out temperature is independent of exit pressure change. The results from this study can be used for the basic design parameter of the EGR cooler substitute of an automotive engine.
Vortex tube;EGR cooler;Throttle valve;Energy separation
- R. Hilsch, "The Use of the Expansion of Gases in a Centrifugal Field as Cooling Process," The Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol 18, No. 2, pp.108-113, 1947. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1740893
- B. Ahlborn and J. Gordon, "The Vortex Tube as a Classic Thermodynamic Refrigeration Cycle," Journal of Applied Physics Vol. 88, No. 6, pp. 3645-3653, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1289524
- J. Lewins and A. Bejan, "Vortex Tube Optimization Theory," Energy 24, pp. 931-943, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-5442(99)00039-0
- S. Piralishvili and A. Fuzeeva, "Similarity of the Energy-Separation Process in Vortex Ranque Tube," Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermodynamics, Vol. 79, No. 1, pp. 27-32, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10891-006-0062-9
- M. Saidi and M. Allaf Yazdi, "Energy Model of a Vortex Tube System with Experimental Results," Energy 24, pp.625-632, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-5442(98)00076-0
- B. Ahlborn and S. Groves, "Secondary Flow in a Vortex Tube," Fluid Dynamics Research 21, pp.73-86, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5983(97)00003-8
- K. Dincer, S. Baskaya, B. Uysal and I. Ucgul, "Experimental Investigation of the Performance of a Ranque-Hilsch Vortex Tube with regard to a Plug Located as the Hot Gas," International Journal of Refrigeration 32, pp.87-94, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2008.06.002
- W. Peng, A. Hoffmann, H. Dries, M. Regelink and L. Stein, "Experimental Study of the Vortex End in Centrifugal Separator: The Nature of the Vortex End," Chemical Engineering Science 60, pp.6919-6928, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2005.06.009
- O. Aydin and M. Baki, "An Experimental Study on the Design Paramenters of a Counterflow Vortex Tube," Energy 31, pp.2763-2772, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2005.11.017
- X. Li, H. Yan, J. Meng and Z. Li, "Visualization of Longitudinal Vortex Flow in an Enhanced Heat Transfer Tube," Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 31, pp.601-608, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2006.06.007
- Y. Jung, D. Choi, S. Park, C. Kim, S. Lee, J. Ryu, "An Experiment Study on the Energy Separation in a Vortex Tube for Engine Exhaust Gas," KSAE Conference, pp.459-464, 2009.
- N.F. Aljuwayhel, G.F. Nellis, S.A. Klein, "Parametric and internal study of the vortex tube using a CFD model," International Journal of Refrigeration 28, pp.442-450, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2004.04.004
- Dong-Jin Oh, "An Experimental Study on the Characteristics of a Low Pressure Vortex Tube," Chungnam National University, Doctoral Dissertation, 2003.