- Volume 14 Issue 9
In Video coding, the first frame is encoded in intra mode which generates a larger number of bits. In addition, the first frame is used for the inter mode encoding of the following frames. Thus the intial QP for the first frame of GOP affects the first frame as well as the following frames. Traditionally, the initial QP of a GOP is determined by the initial QP of the previous GOP and the average QP of the inter mode frames. In case of JM, the initial QP of a GOP is adjusted as the initial QP being less than the average QP of inter mode frames by two. However, this method is not suitable for the low bit rate video coding. In this paper, the linear relationship between the optimal QP and the ratio of the PSNR of the first frame and the average PSNR of the inter mode frames is first investigated and the linear model is proposed based on the results of the investigation. The proposed model calculate the optimal initial QP using the encoding results of the previous GOP. It is shown by experimental results that the new algorithm can predict the optimal initial QP more accurately and generate the PSNR performance better than that of the existing JM algorithm.
- Z. Chen and K.N. Ngan, "Recent advances in rate control for video coding," Signal Process.: Image Commun., vol 22, pp. 19-38, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2006.11.002
- 윤홍준, 서영호, 최현준, 김동욱, "H.264/A VC의 고속 인트라 예측 방법," 한국해양정보통신학회논문지, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1172-1179, 2006년 7월.
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini, and G. J. Sullivan, "Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 7, pp. 688-703, Jul. 2003.
- T. Wiegand, G. J. Sullivan, G. Bjontegaard, and A. Luthra, "Overview of the H.264/AVC video coding standard," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1-19, Jul. 2003.
- H. Wang and S. Kwong, "Rate-Distortion Optimization of Rate Control for H.264 With Adaptive Initial Quantization Parameter Determination," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 140-144, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.913757
- C. Lee, Y. Jung, S. Lee, Y. Oh, and J. Kim, "Real-Time Frame-Layer H.264 Rate Control for Scene-Transition Video at Low Bit Rate," IEEE Trans. Consumer Elect., vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 1084-1092, Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2007.4341589
- Z. Li, F. Pan, and K. P. Lim, Adaptive Basic Unit Layer Rate Control for JVT Doc. JVT-G012-r1, Thailand, Mar. 2003.
- 박상현, "적응적 베이직 유닛 레벨 H.264 비트율 제어," 한국해양정보통신학회논문지, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 355-361, 2009년 2월.