- Volume 49 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Ecological Characteristics of 28-spotted Larger Lady Beetle, Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Motschulsky) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) and Its Seasonal Fluctuation in Gangneung, Korea
큰이십팔점박이무당벌레(Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Motschulsky))의 생태적 특성 및 강릉지역 발생소장
- Kwon, Min (Highland Agriculture Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Ju-Il (Highland Agriculture Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Jeom-Soon (Highland Agriculture Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2010.07.16
- Accepted : 2010.09.08
- Published : 2010.09.30
The seasonal fluctuation of the large 28-spotted lady beetle, Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Motschulsky), was observed in potato fields of Gangneung region, Gangwondo Province. The effects of their leaf consumption over a 24 hour period and developmental periods by different temperatures were investigated, and then the developmental threshold (DT) and effective cumulative temperature (ET) of each stage were calculated. Various developmental stages of H. vigintioctomaculata were captured in the fields from May to September, with three peaks in late May, late June, and late August. Leaf consumption by larval stages increased with the development of instar. The 4th instar larvae consumed potato leaves much more than other stages. Egg hatchability and emergence rate of H. vigintioctomaculata were lower at
- Cheng H.L. and D.W. Huang 1988. Note on the Pediobius foveolatus (Crawford) (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae) parasiting on Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Mots.) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) from the mountainous area of Luli. Journal of Shanxi University (Natural Science Edition). 3: 100-104.
- Choi, J.I., S.B. Kim and J.K. Ahn. 1965. Study on ecology of potato larger lady beetle. pp. 250-258. ln Annual Report of Agricultural Research, 527 pp. Alpine Agriculture Experiment Station, Rural Development Administration.
- Choi, K.M., S.C. Han, M.H. Lee, W.S. Cho, S.B. Ahn and S.H. Lee. 1990. Ecology and management of insect pests on vegetables. 224 pp. Sammi Press, Seoul.
- Hoshikawa, K. 1983. Mass exploitation of Panax jarponicus, an allochthonous food plant, by the ladybird Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata, A curious epiphenomenon in food preference (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae). Appl. Entomol. and Zool. 18(4): 495-503. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.18.495
- Hirano, K. 1985. Study on the movements of the 28-spotted lady-beetle, Henosepilachna vigintioctopunctata by the markrecapture method. JapJ. of Appl. Entomol. Zool. 29: 7-13. https://doi.org/10.1303/jjaez.29.7
- Izawa, Y., M. Uchida and M. Yasui. 1986. Mode of action of buprofezin 2-tert-butylimino-3-isopropyl -5-phenyl-perhydro- 1,3,5-thiadiazin-4-one on thc twenty eight-spotted ladybird, Henosepilachna vigintioctopunctata Fabricius. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry. 50: 1369-1371. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.50.1369
- Kim, W.K., S.B. Kim and E.H. Kang. 1963. Study on chemical control of larger lady beetle in potato. pp. 45-52. In Annual Report of Agricultural Research, 175 pp. Alpine Agriculture Experiment Station, Rural Development Administration.
- Kobayashi, N. 1998. Molecular phylogeny of twelve Asian species of epilachnine ladybird beetles (Coleoptera, Coccinellidae) with notes on the direction of host shifts. Zoological Science. 15: 147-151. https://doi.org/10.2108/zsj.15.147
- Kwon, M. and Y.I. Hahm. 1998. Comparison of potato leaf consumption by larger lady beetle, Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Mot.). Proceedings of Korean Society of Applied Entomology (Spring Meeting, Chungnam National Univ.).106pp.
- Lee, J.H., D.K Reed, H.P. Lee and R.W. Carlson. 1988. Parasitoids of Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata (Motschulsky) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) in Kyonggido area, Korea. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 27: 28-34.
- Park, L.L. and Y.G. Lee. 2001. Study on bio-ecological characteristics of larger lady beetle, Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata, in North Korea. Saengmulhak, pp. 39-41. Science Encyclopedia Press, Pyeongyang.
- Pruess, K.P. 1991. Day-degree methods for pest management. Environ. Entomol. 12: 613-619.
- Rajendran, B. 1998. Screening and grading of brinjal (Solanum melongena) accessions for resistance to spotted beetle (Henosepilachna vigintioctopunctata). Indian J. of Agricultural Sciences. 68: 224-225.
- Rao, P.K., K.V.S. Reddy and K.C. Chitra. 1992. Comparative efficacy of chitin synthesis inhibitors diflubenzuron and penfluron on Henosepilachna vigintioctopunctata (Fab.). J. lnsect Sci. 5: 159-160.
- RDA. 1978. Atlas of insect pests on food crops in Korea. Rural Development Administration. 86 p. Hanil Color Press, Suwon.
- Shirai, Y. 1987a. Ecological studies on phytophagous lady beetles, Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata complex, (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) in the Ina area, Nagano prefecture, 2: Population dynamics of the thistle-feeding H. niponica. Japanese J. of Ecology. 37: 209-218.
- Shirai, Y. 1987b. Ecological studies on phytophagous lady beetles, Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata Complex, (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) in the Ina area, Nagano prefecture, 1: Reproductive ability on potato plant of three species of Henosepilachna beetles feeding on wild native host plants. Japanese J. of Appl. Entomol. Zool. 31: 213-219. https://doi.org/10.1303/jjaez.31.213
- Venkatesha, M.G. 2006. Seasonal occurrence of Henosepilachna vigintioctopunctata (F.) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) and its parasitoid on Ashwagandha in India. J. Asia-Pac. Entomol. 9: 265-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1226-8615(08)60301-5
- Zhang, Y.C., H.J. Liu and Z.M. Zheng. 2002. Ultrastructure of Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata and H vigintioctopunctata. Entomological Knowledge. 39: 132-135.
- Occurrence patterns of insect pests in the field of Lycium chinense under environment-friendly management vol.41, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2014.41.4.341
- Developmental characteristics of Henosepilachna vigintioctomaculata under different temperatures and control effect of eco-friendly agricultural materials on Lycium chinense vol.41, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2014.41.4.361
- Seasonal Occurrences of Insect Pests and Control Effects of Eco-friendly Agricultural Materials (EFAMs) in the Field of Lycium chinense under Environment- Friendly Management vol.17, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2013.17.4.402