- Volume 20 Issue 3
Value of Information Technology Outsourcing: An Empirical Analysis of Korean Industries
IT 아웃소싱의 가치에 관한 연구: 한국 산업에 대한 실증분석
- Han, Kun-Soo (Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University) ;
- Lee, Kang-Bae (Department of MIS, College of Business Administration, Dong-A University)
- Published : 2010.09.30
Information technology (IT) outsourcing, the use of a third-party vendor to provide IT services, started in the late 1980s and early 1990s in Korea, and has increased rapidly since 2000. Recently, firms have increased their efforts to capture greater value from IT outsourcing. To date, there have been a large number of studies on IT outsourcing. Most prior studies on IT outsourcing have focused on outsourcing practices and decisions, and little attention has been paid to objectively measuring the value of IT outsourcing. In addition, studies that examined the performance of IT outsourcing have mainly relied on anecdotal evidence or practitioners' perceptions. Our study examines the contribution of IT outsourcing to economic growth in Korean industries over the 1990 to 2007 period, using a production function framework and a panel data set for 54 industries constructed from input-output tables, fixed-capital formation tables, and employment tables. Based on the framework and estimation procedures that Han, Kauffman and Nault (2010) used to examine the economic impact of IT outsourcing in U.S. industries, we evaluate the impact of IT outsourcing on output and productivity in Korean industries. Because IT outsourcing started to grow at a significantly more rapid pace in 2000, we compare the impact of IT outsourcing in pre- and post-2000 periods. Our industry-level panel data cover a large proportion of Korean economy-54 out of 58 Korean industries. This allows us greater opportunity to assess the impacts of IT outsourcing on objective performance measures, such as output and productivity. Using IT outsourcing and IT capital as our primary independent variables, we employ an extended Cobb-Douglas production function in which both variables are treated as factor inputs. We also derive and estimate a labor productivity equation to assess the impact of our IT variables on labor productivity. We use data from seven years (1990, 1993, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007) for which both input-output tables and fixed-capital formation tables are available. Combining the input-output tables and fixed-capital formation tables resulted in 54 industries. IT outsourcing is measured as the value of computer-related services purchased by each industry in a given year. All the variables have been converted to 2000 Korean Won using GDP deflators. To calculate labor hours, we use the average work hours for each sector provided by the OECD. To effectively control for heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation present in our dataset, we use the feasible generalized least squares (FGLS) procedures. Because the AR1 process may be industry-specific (i.e., panel-specific), we consider both common AR1 and panel-specific AR1 (PSAR1) processes in our estimations. We also include year dummies to control for year-specific effects common across industries, and sector dummies (as defined in the GDP deflator) to control for time-invariant sector-specific effects. Based on the full sample of 378 observations, we find that a 1% increase in IT outsourcing is associated with a 0.012~0.014% increase in gross output and a 1% increase in IT capital is associated with a 0.024~0.027% increase in gross output. To compare the contribution of IT outsourcing relative to that of IT capital, we examined gross marginal product (GMP). The average GMP of IT outsourcing was 6.423, which is substantially greater than that of IT capital at 2.093. This indicates that on average if an industry invests KRW 1 millon, it can increase its output by KRW 6.4 million. In terms of the contribution to labor productivity, we find that a 1% increase in IT outsourcing is associated with a 0.009~0.01% increase in labor productivity while a 1% increase in IT capital is associated with a 0.024~0.025% increase in labor productivity. Overall, our results indicate that IT outsourcing has made positive and economically meaningful contributions to output and productivity in Korean industries over the 1990 to 2007 period. The average GMP of IT outsourcing we report about Korean industries is 1.44 times greater than that in U.S. industries reported in Han et al. (2010). Further, we find that the contribution of IT outsourcing has been significantly greater in the 2000~2007 period during which the growth of IT outsourcing accelerated. Our study provides implication for policymakers and managers. First, our results suggest that Korean industries can capture further benefits by increasing investments in IT outsourcing. Second, our analyses and results provide a basis for managers to assess the impact of investments in IT outsourcing and IT capital in an objective and quantitative manner. Building on our study, future research should examine the impact of IT outsourcing at a more detailed industry level and the firm level.
Supported by : Dong-A University
- Abraham, K.G. and Taylor, S.K, "Firms' use of outside contractors: theory and evidence," Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 14, No. 3, 1996, pp. 394-424. https://doi.org/10.1086/209816
- Amiti, M., Wei, S.J., and Australia, M., "Service offshoring, productivity and employment: Evidence from the US," Working Paper 11926. National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA, 2006.
- Ang, S. and Straub, D.W., "Production and transaction economies and IS outsourcing: a study of the US banking industry," MIS Quarterly, 1998, pp. 535-552.
- Cheon, M.J., "Outsourcing of Information Systems Functions: An Empirical Study of A Contingency Model," APJIS, Vol. 4, No. 2, 1994, pp. 131-164.
- Cho, D.H., Lee, H.G., and Lee, C.C., "Improving Outsourced ISD Project Performance: Focusing on Conflict and Conflict Resolution Facilitation," Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, Vol. 33, No. 1, 2008, pp. 71-105.
- Cho, S. and Jung, D., "The Role of Information Communication Capital Stock to the Increase of Productivity," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2006, pp. 606-625.
- Criscuolo, C. and Leaver, M., "Offshore outsourcing and productivity," 2005, pp. 15-16.
- Dewan, S. and Min, C, "The Substitution of Information Technology for Other Factors of Production: A Firm Level Analysis," Management Science, Vol. 43, No. 12, 1997, pp. 1660-1675. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.43.12.1660
- Dewan, S. and Kraemer, K.L., "Information Technology and Productivity: Evidence from Country-Level Data," Management Science, Vol. 46, No. 4, 2000, pp. 548-562. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.46.4.548.12057
- Fixler, D.J. and Siegel, D., "Outsourcing and productivity growth in services," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Vol. 10, No. 2, 1999, pp. 177-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0954-349X(98)00048-4
- Gorg, H., Hanley, A., Strobl, E., and Campus, J., "Outsourcing, foreign ownership, exporting and productivity: An empirical investigation with plant level data," Vol. Research Paper 2004/08, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK, 2004.
- Gorg, H. and Hanley, A., "International outsourcing and productivity: evidence from plant level data," Leverhulme Centre for Research on Globalisation and Economic Policy, 2003.
- Gorzig, B. and Stephan, A., "Outsourcing and firm-level performance," Research report, Royal Economic Society, London Business School, London, UK, Vol. 90, 2003.
- Han, Kunsoo, Kauffman, R.J., and Nault, B.R, "Returns to information technology outsourcing," Information Systems Research, in press, 2010.
- Hong, D. and Mun, S., "Factor Substitution of IT Capital: Empirical Evidence form Korean Firms," Economic Analysis (Institute for Monetary and Economic Research of the Bank of Korea), Vol. 10, No. 2, 2004, pp. 108-132.
- Kang, M.S., Kwon, K.H, and Song, S.K, "The Relationship Between IT Investment and Financial Performance," Korea International Accounting Association Conference Proceeding, 2005, pp. 145-160.
- Koo, Jahyun, "Building Competitive Advantages through Information Systems (IS) Outsourcing: Resource-Based View (RBV) Approach," APJIS, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2003, pp. 213-242.
- Kim, Dowhan, "Economic Impacts of Information and Communications Technology Industry In Korea Using Input-Output Tables," Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, Vol. 32, No. 3, 2007, pp. 81-96.
- Kim, Heon-Goo, "The Impact of IT Innovation on Industrial Labor Productivity and Employment,". The Journal of The Korean Economy, Vol. 16, 2006, pp. 227-250.
- Kim, H J., Lee, S.H., and Lee, H.G., "An Empirical Study on the Importance of Psychological Contract Commitment in Information Systems Outsourcing," APJIS, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2007, pp. 49-81.
- Kim, Seung-Yoon, Kim, Se-Han, Kim, JinHwa, and Nam, Ki-Chan, "Service Level Agreement: Conceptual Model and Critical Success Factors," APJIS, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2004, pp. 23-55.
- Kim, Y.J., Koo, C., Nam, K., and Song, J., "An Empirical Investigation into the Role of Core-Competency Orientation and IT Outsourcing Process Management Capability," APJIS, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2007, pp. 131-146.
- Kym, H., Yu, J., Lee, H., "An Empirical Study on the Integrated Performance Model for the Effect of Information Technology Investment," APJIS, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2003, pp. 119-140.
- Lacity, M.C, and Hirschheim, R., "Beyond the information systems outsourcing bandwagon: The insourcing response," Wiely, Chichester, UK, 1995.
- Lacity, M.C. and Willcocks, L.P., "An empirical investigation of information technology sourcing practices: lessons from experience," MIS quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 3, 1998, pp. 363-408. https://doi.org/10.2307/249670
- Lee, J.M., Nam, K.C., and Kim, Y.J., "Information Systems Outsourcing: An Integrative Analysis on Contract and Trust form Contingency Perspective," APIIS, Vol. 17, No. 4, 2007, pp. 133-163.
- Lee, M.J., "The Social Capital Based Reformation of the Relationship between Organizations and Intra-Organization of Public IT Outsourcing," Korean Association for Public Administration Conference Proceeding, 2002, pp. 285-314.
- Lee, M.H., "An Empirical Study on the Determinants of Information Systems Outsourcing," APJIS, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1996, pp. 195-222.
- Lee, S.K., "An Exploratory Study on the Taxonomy of Control Types in IS Outsourcing Project Management," APJIS, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2005, pp. 25-44.
- Lee, S. and Kim, S.H., "A Study of Causality between Country Level IT Investment and Economic Performance in the U.S.," APJIS, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2006, pp. 111-122.
- Levina, N. and Ross, J.W., "From the vendor's perspective: exploring the value proposition in information technology outsourcing," Mis Quarterly, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2003, pp. 331-364.
- Loh, L. and Venkatraman, N., "Determinants of information technology outsourcing: a cross-sectional analysis," Vol. Working Paper No. 3382-92BPS, MIT CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS 02139, 1992.
- Min, C.K., Yoo, J.J., and Hwang, S.Y., "The Effects of Information Technology Investments on Productivity and growth:. Firm Level Analysis," Journal of Korean Association of Applied Economics, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2000, pp. 3-25.
- Nam, K., "An Analytical Framework of Information Systems Outsourcing," APJIS, Vol. 6, No. 2, 1996, pp. 221-254.
- Olsen, K.B., "Productivity impacts of offshoring and outsourcing: a review," STIWP, Vol. 1, 2006.
- Park, C., Kim, J., and Im, K., "The Impact of Comprehensive Decision-Making of Information Technology Investment on Firm Performance," APJIS, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2005, pp. 163-186.
- Park, J., Kim, J., and Im, K, "The Effects of IT Human Capability on Knowledge Transfer in Information Systems Outsourcing," APJIS, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2006, pp. 85-110.
- Siegel, D. and Griliches, Z., Purchased services, outsourcing, computers, and productivity in manufacturing, Working paper, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, Vol. 3678, 1991.
- Shin, H.K. and Kim, K.K., "The Effects of Knowledge Complementarities and Trust on IT Outsourcing Effectiveness," APJIS, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2007, pp. 55-78.
- Song, J. and Kim, G., "The Analysis of Korea's IT Services Industries based on the Method of Input-Output Analysis," Journal of International Trade and Industry Studies, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2008, pp. 21-45.
- ten Raa, T. and Wolff, E.N., "Outsourcing of Services and the Productivity Recovery in US Manufacturing in the 1980s and 1990s," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2001, pp. 149-165. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011683310955
- Yang, K. and Kim, H., "A Study on the Relationship between Outsourcing Risks and Performance for Contractors," APJIS, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2003, pp. 119-145.
- Yoo, J., Kim, B S., Choi, M.S., and Oh, J., "Estimation of Vendor Cost for Software Maintenance and Repair Outsourcing," APJIS, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2006, pp. 143-158.
- Korea Software Industry Association, Leader's Forum of IT Outsourcing, Outsourcing Research Center of Sogang University, Market Research Report of IT Outsourcing, 2006.
- Bank of Korea, "Input-Output Table," 1990, 1995, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007.