- Volume 24 Issue 6
This study is aimed to investigate the relationship between job-related stressor, problem solving style and psychological distress and the effects of job-related stress and problem solving style on psychological distress of firefighters. The Job-related Stress Scale, Problem Solving Style Questionnaire, and the Symptom Checklist-Revised (SCL-90-R) were administered to 148 firefighters working in Seoul and Gyounggi. Correlation analysis revealed that job-related stress, problem-solving styles such as helplessness and problem-solving control correlated positively with psychological distress and that problem-solving confidence and approaching style correlated negatively with it. Multiple regression analysis showed that job-related negative cognition and emotion, helplessness and approaching style accounted for 43% of the variance in the psychological distress. Among problem-solving styles, helplessness had the highest predictive power for psychological distress. Self-reported helplessness is an important determinant of firefighters' reactions to problematic situations encountered in their job.
- C.C. Moran and E. Colless, "Perceptions of Work Stress in Australian Firefighters", Work & Stress, Vol.9, No.4, pp.405-415(1995). https://doi.org/10.1080/02678379508256889
- P. Brough, "Comparing the Influence of Traumatic and Organizational Stressors on the Psychological Health of Police, Fire, and Ambulance Officers", International Journal of Stress Management, Vol.11, No.3, pp.227-244(2004).
- R. Beaton, S. Murphy, C. Johnson, K. Pike, and W. Corneil, "Exposure to Duty-Related Incident Stressors in Urban Firefighters and Paramedics", Journal of Traumatic Stress, Vol.11, No.4, pp.821-828(1998). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024461920456
- J. Brown, G. Mulhern, and S. Joseph, "Incident-Related Stressors, Locus of Control, Coping, and Psychological Distress Among Firefighters in Northern Ireland", Journal of Traumatic Stress, Vol.15, No.2, pp.161-168(2002). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1014816309959
- A.M. Nezu, "Negative Life Stress and Anxiety: Problem Solving as a Moderator Variable", Psychological Report, Vol.58, No.3h, pp.279-283(1986). https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1999
- T. Cassidy and C. Long, "Problem-solving Style, Stress and Psychological Illness: Development of a Multifactorial Measure", British Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol.35, No.3, pp.265-277(1996). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8260.1996.tb01181.x
- G.L. Kant, T.J. D'Aurilla, and A. Maydeu-Olivares, "Social Problem-solving as a Mediator of Stressrelated Depression and Anxiety in Middle-aged and Elderly Community Residents", Cognitive Therapy and Research, Vol.21, No.1, pp.73-96(1997). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021820326754
- 유희정, 황성훈, 홍진표, 이철, 김헌수, 한오수, "IMF 관련 경제적 스트레스가 정신건강에 미치는 영향", 신경정신의학, Vol.39, No.1, pp.65-77(2000).
- 신민섭, 오경자, 홍강의, 김해숙, "가정 폭력이 배우자 및 자녀의 심리적 적응에 미치는 영향", 한국심리학회지: 임상, Vol.22, No.4, pp.815-827(2003).
- A. Roets and B. Soetens, "Need and Ability to Achieve Closure: Relationships with Symptoms of Psychopathology", Personality and Individual Difference, Vol.48, No.2 pp.155-160(2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2009.09.013
- 김광일, 김재환, 원호택, "간이정신진단검사 실시요강", 서울중앙적성출판사(1984).
- M.B. Harris, M. Baloglu, and J.R. Stacks, "Mental Health of Traumatic-exposed Firefighters and Cirtical Incident Stress Debriefing", Journal of Loss and Trauma, Vol.7, No.3, pp.223-238(2002). https://doi.org/10.1080/10811440290057639
- 최옥현, 김봉환, "대학생의 애착관계 및 유형 과 진로 탐색효능감이 진로발달에 미치는 영향", 상담학연구, Vol.8, No.3, pp.1063-1084(2007).
- C.S. Fullerton, J.E. McCarroll, R.J. Ursano, and K.M. Wright, "Psychological Responses of Rescue Workers: Fighters and Trauma", American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, Vol.62, No.1, pp.371-378(1992). https://doi.org/10.1037/h0079363
- T. Cassidy and R. Dhillon, "Type A Behaviour, Problem-solving Style and Health in Male and Feamle Managers", British Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.2, No.3, pp.217-227(1997). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8287.1997.tb00537.x