- Volume 19 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Optimum Operation of a PVDF-type Hollow Fiber Membrane Bioreactor for Continuous Sewage Treatment
- Shin, Choon-Hwan (Department of Energy & Environmental Engineering, Dongseo University)
- Received : 2010.09.07
- Accepted : 2010.10.25
- Published : 2010.11.30
A membrane bioreactor (MBR) was designed using polyvinylidene fluoride(PVDF)-type hollow fiber membrane modules with a treatment capacity of 10 ton/day. A pilot plant was installed in a sewage treatment plant and was operated with an intermittent aeration method which avoids any concentration gradient of suspended solids (SS) in the MBR. For continuous operation, the pilot plant was first tested with influent (mixed liquor suspended solid:MLSS of 1000-2000 mg/L) of aeration tanks in the sewage treatment plant. The MBR was pre-treated with washing water, 10% ethanol solution, 5% NaOCl solution and finally washing water, one after another. To demonstrate the effect of the MBR on sewage treatment, compared with conventional activated sludge processes, we investigated the relationships among permeate amount (LMH), change in operation conditions, influent MLSS level and sludge production. It was found that the optimum aeration rate and suction pressure were
MBR;PVDF hollow fiber;Cost reduction;Sewage treatment;SS removal;Optimum operation
- Chang, I. S., Judd, S., 2002, Air sparging of a submerged MBR for municipal wastewater treatment, Proc. Biochem., 37, 915-920. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(01)00291-6
- Herzberg, M., Elimelech, M., 2007, Biofouling of reverse osmosis membranes: role of biofilm-enhanced osmotic pressure, J. Membr. Sci., 295, 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2007.02.024
- Ivnitsky, H., Katz, I., Minz, D., Shimoni, E., Chen, Y., Tarchitzky, J. R., Semiat, R., Dosoretz, C. G., 2005, Characterization of membrane biofouling in nanofiltration processes of wastewater treatment, Desalination, 185, 255-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.03.081
- Jolivalt, C., Brenon, S., Caminade, E., Mougin, C., Pontie, M., 2000, Immobilization of laccase from Trametes versicolor on a modified PVDF microfiltration membrane: characterization of the grafted support and application in removing a phenylurea pesticide in wastewater, J. Membr. Sci., 180(1), 103-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(00)00522-6
- Le-Clech, P., Chen, V., Fane, T. A. G., 2006, Fouling in membrane bioreactors used in wastewater treatment, J. Membr. Sci., 284(1-2), 17-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2006.08.019
- Li, X. Y., Chu, H. P., 2003, Membrane bioreactor for the drinking water treatment of polluted surface water supplies, Water Res., 37(19), 4781-4791. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(03)00424-X
- Melin, T., Jefferson, B., Bixio, D., Thoeye, C., De Wilde, W., De Koning, J., van der Graaf, J., Wintgens, T., 2006, Membrane bioreactor technology for wastewater treatment and reuse, Desalination, 187, 271-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.04.086
- Nakamura, K., Matsumoto, K., 2006, Properties of protein adsorption onto pore surface during microfiltration: effects of solution environment and membrane hydrophobicity, J. Membr. Sci., 280(1-2), 363-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2006.01.039
- Shin, C. H., 2009, Initial operating condition of membrane bioreactor with PVDF hollow fiber and permeate reuse, J. Clean Technology, 16(1), 39-45.
- Shin, C. H., 2008, Development of optimization techniques and practical use of a MBR to reduce the size of final clarifiers, Technical report, Busan environmental corporation.
- Shin, C. H., Johnson, R., 2007, Permeat characterisrics and operation condition of membrane bioreactor with the dispersing modified hollow fiber, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 13, 40-46.
- Shin, C. H., Seo, J. M., Bae, J. S., 2009, Modification of a hollow fiber membrane and its three-dimensional analysis of surface pore and internal structure for a water reclamation system, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 15, 784-790. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50164a006
- Singh, N., Husson, S. M., Zdyrko, B., Luzinov, I., 2005, Surface modification of microporous PVDF membranes by ATRP, J. of Memb. Sci., 262(1-2), 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2005.03.053
- Ueda, T., Hata, K., Kikuoka, Y., Seino, O., 1997, Effects of aeration on suction pressure in a submerged membrane bioreactor, Water Res., 31, 489-494. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(96)00292-8
- Visvanathan, C., Boonthanon, N., Sathasivan, A., Jegatheesan, V., 2003, The use of microfiltration membranes for seawater pre-treatment prior to reverse osmosis membranes, Desalination, 153, 133-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(02)01114-1
- Yamamori, H., Hoshelde, A., Kobayashi, M., 1996, Hollow Fiber Membrane Module, U.S. Patent, 5480553.
- Yamamoto, K., Hiasa, M., Mahmood, T., Matsuo, T., 1989, Direct solid-liquid separation using hollow fiber membrane in an activated sludge aeration tank, Water Sci. Technol., 21, 43-54.
- Yamamoto, N., Kimura, K., Miyoshi, T., Watanabe, Y., 2006, Difference in membrane fouling in membrane bioreactors (MBRs) caused by membrane polymer materials, J. Membr. Sci., 280(1-2), 911-919. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2006.03.009
- Yang, W., Cicek, N., Ilg, J., 2006, State-of-the-art of membrane bioreactors: Worldwide research and commercial applications in North America, J. Membr. Sci., 270, 201-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2005.07.010