- Volume 10 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Trunk Stability Exercise on Dynamic Balance in the Persons with Chronic Stroke.
체간의 안정화운동이 뇌졸중 환자의 동적 균형에 미치는 효과
- Published : 2009.09.30
This study compared the relative effectiveness of trunk stability exercise with general balance exercise on dynamic balance for patients with chronic patients. Thirty eight subjects were recruited and randomly divided into two groups. One group was trained trunk stability exercise and the other group was trained general balance exercise. This process was carried out three times a week for seven weeks. Dynamic balance was measured prior to commencement of the exercise programs, and again after seven weeks, when the programs were completed, in order to establish the effectiveness of both exercise programs. Both the trunk stability exercise and the general balance exercise increased BBS and TUG(p<.001). The trunk stability exercise was more effective at increasing BBS(p<.05). We suggest that trunk stability exercise is effective in the improvement of balance ability in the persons with chronic stroke. Therefore, the trunk stability exercise is considered to important when the stroke patients are trained. Further studies of effectiveness of trunk stability exercise should be carried out to increase our understanding of this area of study.
Stroke;Balance;Trunk stability exercise;Core exercise
- C. M. Sackley, "Falls, sway, and symmetry of weight-bearing after stroke", Int Disabil Stud, Vol. 13, pp. 1-4, 1991. https://doi.org/10.3109/03790799109166267
- B. Bobath, Adult hemiplegia: Evaluation and treatment, 3rd ed. London: Heinemman Medical Books, 1990.
- J. H. Carr, R. B. Shepherd, L. Nordholm, and D. Lynne, "Investigation of a new motor assessment scale for stroke patients", Phys Ther, Vol. 65, pp. 175-180, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/65.2.175
- 김미선, "체간하부 안정성 강화 운동이 편마비 환자의 상지 관절 움직임에 미치는 영향", 용인대학교 재활보건대학원 석사학위논문, 2005.
- P. Davies, "Steps to follows: A guide to the treatment of adult hemiplegia", New York: Springer Verlag, 1991.
- 신원섭, 이석민, 이승원, 이동엽, 송창호, "과제지향적 기능운동이 만성 뇌졸중 편마비 장애인의 근력, 균형 및 보행능력에 미치는 효과", 한국특수체육학회지, Vol. 16, pp. 149-165, 2008.
- K. J. Dodd and M. E. Morris, "Lateral pelvic displacement during gait: abnormalities after stroke and changes during the first month of rehabilitation", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol. 84, pp. 1200-1205, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00142-4
- C. L. Hsieh, C. F. Sheu, I. P. Hsueh, and C. H. Wang, "Trunk control as an early predictor of comprehensive activities of daily living function in stroke patients", Stroke, Vol. 33, pp. 2626-2630, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000033930.05931.93
- P. W. Hodges and C. A. Richardson, "Inefficient muscular stabilization of the lumbar spine associated with low back pain. A motor control evaluation of transversus abdominis", Spine, Vol. 21, pp. 2640-2650, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199611150-00014
- D. G. Behm, K. Anderson, and R. S. Curnew, "Muscle force and activation under stable and unstable conditions", J Strength Cond Res, Vol. 16, pp. 416-422, 2002.
- L. Moseley, "Combined physiotherapy and education is efficacious for chronic low back pain", Aust J Physiother, Vol. 48, pp. 297-302, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60169-0
- L. Niemisto, T. Lahtinen-Suopanki, P. Rissanen, K. A. Lindgren, S. Sarna, and H. Hurri, "A randomized trial of combined manipulation, stabilizing exercises, and physician consultation compared to physician consultation alone for chronic low back pain", Spine, Vol. 28, pp. 2185-2191, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000085096.62603.61
- E. Rasmussen-Barr, L. Nilsson-Wikmar, and I. Arvidsson, "Stabilizing training compared with manual treatment in sub-acute and chronic low-back pain", Man Ther, Vol. 8, pp. 233-241, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1356-689X(03)00053-5
- P. B. O'Sullivan, G. D. Phyty, L. T. Twomey, and G. T. Allison, "Evaluation of specific stabilizing exercise in the treatment of chronic low back pain with radiologic diagnosis of spondylolysis or spondylolisthesis", Spine, Vol. 22, pp. 2959-2967, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199712150-00020
- B. Kladny, F. C. Fischer, and I. Haase, "Evaluation of specific stabilizing exercise in the treatment of low back pain and lumbar disk disease in outpatient rehabilitation", Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb, Vol. 141, pp. 401-405, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2003-41557
- A. Keller, J. I. Brox, R. Gunderson, I. Holm, A. Friis, and O. Reikeras, "Trunk muscle strength, cross-sectional area, and density in patients with chronic low back pain randomized to lumbar fusion or cognitive intervention and exercises", Spine, Vol. 29, pp. 3-8, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000103946.26548.EB
- F. P. Carpes, F. B. Reinehr, and C. B. Mota, "Effects of a program for trunk strength and stability on pain, low back and pelvis kinematics, and body balance: a pilot study", J Bodyw Mov Ther, Vol. 12, pp. 22-30, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2007.05.001
- 이재학, "수중치료를 통한 체간 근력 강화 훈련이 뇌성마비 아동의 앉기 자세와 하지 근 긴장도에 미치는 영향", 단국대학교 특수교육대학원 석사학위논문, 2006.
- 김광수, "균형감각운동과 코어프로그램 복합운동이 편마비 환자의 동적균형감각에 미치는 영향", 고려대학교 의용과학대학원 석사학위논문, 2006.
- C. Liebenson, "Spinal stabilization training: the transverse abdominus", J Bodyw Mov Ther, Vol. 2, pp. 218-223, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-8592(98)80018-1
- R. W. Bohannon and P. A. Larkin, "Lower extremity weight bearing under various standing conditions in independently ambulatory patients with hemiparesis", Phys Ther, Vol. 65, pp. 1323-1325, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/65.9.1323
- M. Lynch and V. Grisgono, Strokes and head injuries. London: John Murray, 1991.
- B. Peath-Rohlfs, Erfahrungen mit dem Bobath-Konzept. Stuttfart: Thieme, 1999.
- K. Berg, S. Wood-Dauphinee, and J. I. Williams, "The Balance Scale: reliability assessment with elderly residents and patients with an acute stroke", Scand J Rehabil Med, Vol. 27, pp. 27-36, 1995.
- D. Podsiadlo and S. Richardson, "The timed Up & Go: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons", J Am Geriatr Soc, Vol. 39, pp. 142-148, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1991.tb01616.x
- F. E. Huxham, P. A. Goldie, and A. E. Patla, "Theoretical considerations in balance assessment", Aust J Physiother, Vol. 47, pp. 89-100, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60300-7
- C. Walker, B. J. Brouwer, and E. G. Culham, "Use of visual feedback in retraining balance following acute stroke", Phys Ther, Vol. 80, pp. 886-895, 2000.
- D. S. Nichols, T. M. Glenn, and K. J. Hutchinson, "Changes in the mean center of balance during balance testing in young adults", Phys Ther, Vol. 75, pp. 699-706, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/75.8.699
- M. Piirtola and P. Era, "Force platform measurements as predictors of falls among older people-a review", Gerontology, Vol. 52, pp. 1-16, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1159/000089820
- 오정림, "체간근력 강화운동이 뇌성마비아의 앉은 자세 균형에 미치는 영향", 대구대학교 재활과학대학원 석사학위논문, 2003.
- R. Dickstein, Y. Heffes, Y. Laufer, and Z. Ben-Haim, "Activation of selected trunk muscles during symmetric functional activities in poststroke hemiparetic and hemiplegic patients", J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, Vol. 66, pp. 218-221, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.66.2.218
- P. W. Brill and G. S. Couzen, "The core program", New York: Bantam Book, 2002.
- M. Karatas, N. Cetin, M. Bayramoglu, and A. Dilek, "Trunk muscle strength in relation to balance and functional disability in unihemispheric stroke patients", Am J Phys Med Rehabil, Vol. 83, pp. 81-87, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PHM.0000107486.99756.C7
- M. A. Clark and P. D. Cummings, "Treinamento de estabilizacao do core", Sau Paulo: Manole, 1992.
- Effect of The Trunk Muscle Stabilization Training on Balance for Chronic Stroke Patients vol.13, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.3.1212
- Effect of proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation integration pattern and swiss ball training on pain and balance in elderly patients with chronic back pain vol.27, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.3237
- Effects of diaphragm and deep abdominal muscle exercise on walking and balance ability in patients with hemiplegia due to stroke vol.14, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1836252.126