- Volume 10 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Automatic Mesh Generation System for FE Analysis of 3D Crack
3차원 균열의 유한요소해석을 위한 자동요소분할 시스템
- Lee, Ho-Jeong (Dept. of Mechanical System Engineering, Kyonggi University) ;
- Lee, Joon-Seong (Dept. of Mechanical System Engineering, Kyonggi University)
- Published : 2009.09.30
This paper describes an automatic mesh generation system for finite element analysis of three-dimensional cracks. It is consisting of fuzzy knowledge processing, bubble meshing and solid geometry modeler. This novel mesh generation process consists of three sub-processes: (a) definition of geometric model, i.e. analysis model, (b) generation of bubbles, and (c) generation of elements. One of commercial solid modelers is employed for three-dimensional crack structures. Bubble is generated if its distance from existing bubble points is similar to the bubble spacing function at the point. The bubble spacing function is well controlled by the fuzzy knowledge processing. The Delaunay method is introduced as a basic tool for element generation. Practical performances of the present system are demonstrated through several mesh generations for 3D cracks.
Finite Element Method;Mesh Generation;Bubble Method;Delaunay Triangulation Method
- Fuchs, A., "Almost regular Delaunay Triangula-tions", International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 40, pp. 4595-4610, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19971230)40:24<4595::AID-NME274>3.0.CO;2-E
- Choi, C.K., Lee, G.H. and Chung, H.J., "An adaptive analysis in the element-free Galerkin method using bubble meshing technique", Comp. Struct. Eng., Vol. 15, pp. 84-95, 2002.
- Watson, D. F., "Computing The N-Dimensional Delaunay Tessellation with Application to Voronoi Polytopes", The Computer Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 167-172, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1093/comjnl/24.2.167
- Buraty, E.,"Fully Automatic Three-Dimensional Mesh Generator for Complex Geometries", Int. Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 30, pp. 931-952, 1990.
- J.S. Lee, "Development of the Fuzzy-Based System for Stress Intensity Factor Analysis", Int. Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 255-260, 2002. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2002.12.3.255
- Schroeder, W. J. and Shephard, M. S., "Combined Octree/Delaunay Method for Fully Automatic 3-D Mesh Generation", Int. Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 29, pp. 37-55, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620290105
- Al-Nasra, M. and Nguyen, D. T., "An Algorithm for Domain Decomposition in Finite Element Analysis", Computers and Structures, Vol. 39, No. 3/4, pp. 277-289, 1981.
- J.S. Lee, "Automated CAE System for Three-Dimensional Complex Geometry", Doctoral Thesis, The University of Tokyo, 1995.
- Zadeh, L. A., "Fuzzy algorithms", Information and Control, Vol. 12, pp. 94-102, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-9958(68)90211-8