- Volume 43 Issue 3
This study examined the intrinsic and extrinsic motivational factors affecting the intention to contribute knowledge to online communities. It examined enjoyment, knowledge self-efficacy, and commitment as the intrinsic motivational factors, and anticipated reciprocity, image, and subjective norm as the extrinsic motivational factors. The results showed that intrinsic motivational factors, enjoyment and knowledge self-efficacy were found to have significant influences on attitudes towards knowledge contribution to online communities, but commitment was not. Of the extrinsic motivational factors, anticipated reciprocity was found to have a significant influence on attitudes toward knowledge contribution to online communities, but image and subjective norm were not.
Online Community;Knowledge Contribution;Intrinsic Motivation;Extrinsic Motivation
- 강명수. 2004. 온라인 커뮤니티 형성과 유지에 관한 연구: 규범적 몰입과 감성적 몰입의 매개역할을 중심으로. "대한경영학회지", 18(1): 67-87.
- Ba, S., Stallaert, J., & Whinston, A. B. 2001. “Research commentary: Introducing a third dimension in information systems design: The case for incentive alignment." Information Systems Research, 12(3): 225-239. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.22.214.171.12412
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. 1985. “The general causality orientations scale: Self-determination in personality." Journal of Research in Personality, 19: 109-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-6566(85)90023-6
- Hall, H. 2001. Social exchange for knowledge exchange. Paper presented at Managing knowledge: Conversations and Critiques. April 10-11, 2001. University of Leicester Management Centre.
- Wasko, M., & Faraj, S. 2000. “It is what one does: Why people participate and help others in electronic communities of practice." Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 9(2/3): 155-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8687(00)00045-7
- Ryu, S., Ho, S. H., & Han, I. 2003. “Knowledge sharing behavior of physicians in hospitals." Expert Systems with Applications, 25(1): 113-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0957-4174(03)00011-3
- Hsu, M., Ju, T., Yen, C., & Chang, C. 2007. “Knowledge sharing behavior in virtual communities: The relationship between trust, self-efficacy, and outcome expectation." Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 65: 153-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.09.003
- Eisenberger, R. & Ameil, S. 1997. “Can salient reward increase creative performance without reducing intrinsic creative interest?" Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 72: 652- 663. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1992
- Hirschfeld, Robert R. 2008. “Implications of self-deception for self-reported intrinsic and extrinsic motivational dispositions and actual learning performance." Educational and Psychological Measurement, 68(1): 154-173. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164406299129
- Taylor, S., & Todd, P. A. 1995. “Understanding information technology usage: A test of competing models." Information Systems Research, 6(2): 144-176. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.6.2.144
- Lin, Hsiu-Fen. 2007. “Effects of extrinsic and intrinsic motivation on employee knowledge sharing intentions." Journal of Information Science, 33(2): 135-149. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551506068174
- Nunnally, J. C. 1967. Psychometric theory. New York: McGrawHill.
- Barbuto, J. E., & Scholl, R. W. 1998. “Motivation sources Inventory: Development and validation of new scales to measure an integrative taxonomy of motivation." Psychological Reports, 82: 1011-1022. https://doi.org/10.2466/PR0.82.3.1011-1022
- Constant, D., Sproull, L., & Kiesler, S. 1996. “The kindness of strangers: The usefulness of electronic weak ties for technical advice." Organization Science, 7(2): 119-135. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.2.119
- Fishbein, M., & Ajzen, I. 1975. Belief, Attitude, Intention, and Behavior: An Introduction to Theory and Research. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Davenport, T. H., & Prusak, L. 1998. Working knowledge: How organizations manage what they know. Boston: Harvard Business Press.
- Deci, Edward L. 1975. Intrinsic motivation. New York: Plenum Press.
- Eisenberger, R. & Selbst, M. 1994. “Does reward increase or decrease creativity?" Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 66: 1116-1127. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.526
- Amabile, T. M. 1996. Creativity in context: Update to the social psychology of creativity. Boulder, CO: Westview.
- Lewis, W., Agarwal, R., & Sambamurthy, V. 2003. “Sources of influence on beliefs about information technology use: An empirical study of knowledge workers." MIS Quarterly, 27(4): 657-678. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036552
- Wasko, M., & Faraj, S. 2005. “Why should I share? Examining social capital and knowledge contribution in electronic networks of practice." MIS Quarterly, 29(1): 35-57. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148667
- Rheingold, Howard L. 1993. The Virtual community: Homesteading on the electronic frontier. Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley.
- Venkatesh, V., & Davis, F. D. 2000. “A theoretical extension of the technology acceptance model: Four longitudinal field studies." Management Science, 46(2): 186-204. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.184.108.40.20626
- Osterloh, M., & Frey, B. 2000. “Motivation, knowledge, transfer, and organizational forms." Organization Science, 11(5): 538-550. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.11.5.538.15204
- Fulk, J. 1993. “Social Construction of communication technology." Academy of Management Journal, 36(5): 921-950. https://doi.org/10.2307/256641
- Moore, G. C., & Benbasat, I. 1991. “Development of an instrument to measure the perceptions of adopting an information technology behavior." Information Systems Research, 2(3): 192-222. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.2.3.192
- Amabile, T. M., Hill, K. G., Hennessey, B. A., & Tighe, E. M. 1994. “The work performance inventory: Assessing intrinsic and extrinsic motivational orientations." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 66(5): 950-967. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.110
- Hsu, Chin-Lung, & Lin, Judy C. 2008. “Acceptance of blog usage: The roles of technology acceptance, social influence and knowledge sharing motivation." Information & Management, 45: 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2007.11.001
- Bandura, A. 1986. Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Cabrera. A. C., Collins, W. C., & Salgado, J. F. 2006. “Determinants of individual engagement in knowledge sharing." International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17(2): 245-264. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190500404614
- Kankanhalli, Atreyi, Tan, Bernard, C. Y., & Wei, Kwok-Kee. 2005. “Contributing knowledge to electronic knowledge repositories: An empirical investigation." MIS Quarterly, 29(1): 113-143. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148670
- Taxonomy of Knowledge Community and Its Effectiveness vol.19, pp.4, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2010.19.4.167
- The Effect of Social Network Service Functional Characteristics and Individual Psychological Motivation Factors on User's Intention of Information Sharing vol.12, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9716/KITS.2013.12.4.145
- A Study on Consumer Sharing Economy Service Usage Attitudes and Usage Intentions vol.55, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2017.009
- A Study on the Factors Affecting Knowledge Contribution in the Public Sector vol.27, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2010.27.3.169