- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Menu Development for the Elderly during Busy Farming Season in Gyeongbuk Andong
경북 안동시 농번기 농촌노인 식단개발 연구
- Kim, Hae-Young (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Yongin University) ;
- Park, Chan-Eun (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Yongin University) ;
- Lee, Hae-Jin (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Yongin University) ;
- Park, Young-Hee (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, RDA) ;
- Lee, Jin-Young (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, RDA)
- 김혜영 (용인대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 박찬은 (용인대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이혜진 (용인대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 박영희 (농촌진흥청 농식품자원부) ;
- 이진영 (농촌진흥청 농식품자원부)
- Published : 2009.10.31
Dietary life style of the elderly living in rural areas of Gyeongbuk Andong during the busy farming season was surveyed and a monthly meal plan for the elderly was developed using eco-friendly native crops and considering the characteristics of a busy farming season and their preferences. A week meal plan was selected and applied to those fields. The meal plan was developed for an elder's house in Gyeongbuk Andong during the busy farming season. Especially, to increase the intake of calcium and dietary fiber, bamboo sprouts, pepper leaves, dried slices of whitebait, and fried anchovies were used. Considering the busy farming season, the ginseng chicken soup and the soybean noodle soup were served to provide high quality of protein and to improve health condition. A cold soup of cucumber and brown seaweed was used to supplement liquid, vitamins, and minerals. The results are as follows: the highest score of the preference on a staple was 8.77 for the boiled barley of menu 5; the favorite soup was the ginseng chicken soup (8.73) in menu 4; for side dishes, those in menu 5 were most popular (8.69); the favorite meal was the ginseng chicken soup of menu 4 (8.69). Regarding the amount of leftover foods, the lightest was 30.14 g in Gyeongbuk Andong menu 3 which significantly indicates high preference (p<0.05). The current study was a planned meal service menu using local crops and seasonal foods, which was actually applied to the field resulting in high preference and satisfaction levels.
- Kinsella KG. 1992. Changes in life expectance 1900-1990. Am J Clin Nutr 55: 1196s-1202s. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/55.6.1196S
- National Statistical Office. 2007. Explore Korea through statistics.
- Morley JE, Silver AJ, Fiatrone M, Mooradian AD. 1986. Geriatric grand round: nutrition in the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc 34: 823-832. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1986.tb03990.x
- Kang MH. 1994. Nutritional status of Korean elderly people. Korean J Nutr 27: 616-635.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2006. National health and nutrition examination survey 2005 Nutrition survey.
- Han KH, Choi MS, Park JS. 2004. Psycho-social, nutritional status and meal service untility patterns by living arrangement of the elderly participated in meal service. Korean J Community Nutrition 9: 615-628.
- Edwards LD, Frongillo EA Jr, Rauschenbach B, Roe DA. 1993. Home-delivered meals benefit the diabetics elderly. J Am Diet Assoc 93: 585-587. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8223(93)91824-A
- Kraak VI. 1995. Home-delivered meals programs for homebound people with HIV/AIDS. J Am Dite Assoc 95: 476-481. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(95)00124-7
- Heo YR, Shin JH, Kim KS, Kim BH. 2008. Development and application of a community-based meal program model for the elderly in rural area. J Korean Dietetic Association 14: 23-35.
- Park JS, Han KH, Choi MS, Chung SD, Chai IS. 2001. Characteristics of the organizational structure of free meal service centers and cooperation with community. Korean J Comm Nutr 6: 553-564.
- Ko BS, Ko PS. 2005. The study on the characteristics of circulation of environmentally friendly agricultural products and the consumers' purchase intention. Korean J Culinary Research 11: 214-227.
- Ryu MJ, Suh JS, Lyu ES. 2004. A perception of dietitians for using imported food and pro-environment farm products for elementary school foodservice operations in Busan. J Korean Dietetic Assoc 10: 452-466.
- Kim HY, Kong HJ. 2006. Development of calcium enriched menu for the age. Korean J Food Culture 21: 670-678.
- Kim HY, Park JH. 2006. Development of dietary fiber enriched menu for the aged and analysis of sensory and physicochemical characteristics. Korean J Food Culture 21: 516-523.
- Kim HY, Lee HJ, Park CE, Kim YS. 2007. Study on the dietary behavior and local products for menu development of the elderly in Yeongi, Chungnam. Korean J Food Culture 22: 775-782.
- Park CE, Joo MJ, Lee HJ, Kim HY. 2008. Menu development and evaluation using food intake status of the elderly in busy farming season of Damyang, Jeonnam. Korean J Food Culture 23: 41-47.
- Lee JM, Park YJ, Lee SM. 2001. Sensory and physicochemical attributes of glutinous rice dduk added cham-chwi. Korean J Dietary Culture 16: 180-186.
- Kim IJ. 1996. Natural plant resources in Korea. Seoul National University Press, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim SJ, Kim CK, Kim GH. 2004. Quality characteristics of Aster scaber and development of functional healthy drinks using its extract. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 20: 84-90.
- Lee SE, Seong NS, Chung TY, Choi MY, Yun EK, Jeung YJ. 2001. The effect of powdered herb of Aster scaber thunb. on antioxidant system in ethanol-treated rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 1215-1219.
- Lim SS, Lee JH. 1997. A study on the chemical composition and hypocholesterolaemic effect of Aster scaber and Ixeris dentata. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 123-129.
- Song HN, Lee DG, Han SW, Yoon HK, Hwang IK. 2005. Quality changes of salted and semi-dried mackerel fillets by UV treatment during refrigerated storage. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 21: 662-668.
- Kim JS, Choi SY. 2008. Quality characteristics of soybean curd with omija extract. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 43-50.
- Joo SY, Kim HJ, Paik JE, Joo NM, Han YS. 2006. Optimization of muffin with added spinach powder using response surface methodology. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 22: 45-55.
- Jung IC, Park SH, Moon YH. 2001. Effect of ultrasonic treatment on the quality of frying chicken meat. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 256-260.
- Kang NE, Kim HY, Lee IS. 2006. Quality characteristics of the walnut bread with varied levels of resistant starch. Korean J Food Culture 21: 290-296.
- Choi YH. 2003. Changes in vitamin c and minerals content of perilla leaves by different cooking methods. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 19: 48-54.
- Park WP, Cho SH, Kim CH. 2004. Quality characteristics of cherry tomatoes packaged with paper bag incorporated with antimicrobial agents. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 1381-1384. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.8.1381
- Kim HY, Iee SH, Lim YI. 1995. A study on the dietary and nutrients intake of the elderly resident in nursing home. J Korea Gerontological Soc 15: 69-83.