- Volume 10 Issue 8
The purpose of this study is to compare relationship among pulmonary function, dyspnea, and health-related quality of life in patients with COPD. The instruments were used FEV1(%), the Baseline Dyspnea Index(BDI), the Medical Research Council Scale(MRCS), and the St. George's respiratory questionnaire(SGRQ). Dyspnea of patients with moderate and severe stage were deeper than one of patients with mild stage(BDI F=5.452, p=.007; MRCS F=4.925, p=.011). And health-related quality of life of patients with severe stage were poorer than one of patients with mild stage(F=3.778, p=.030). There were significant, but weak, correlations between scores of the BDI(r=.471), the MRCS(r=-.403), the SGRQ(r=-.476) and FEV1. There were strong correlations between scores of the BDI(r=-.752), the MRCS(r=.645) and the SGRQ. And FEV1 didn't correlated with the BDI, the MRCS, and the SGRQ scores in patient of moderate stage and severe stage. But there were also strong correlations between the BDI(r=-.719), the MRCS(r=.607) and the SGRQ in patient of moderate stage and severe stage. Specially, correlation between the BDI and the SGRQ were higher than one between the MRCS and the SGRQ. In conclusion, Using the BDI for evaluation of the subjective dyspnea with objective pulmonary functional test in patients with COPD, it will able to grasp the health-related quality of life.
COPD;Pulmonary function;Dyspnea;Health related quality
- Global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease, "Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive lung disease", Retrieved from URL: http://www.goldcopd.org, 2006.
- Lareau, S. C., Meek, P. M., Press, D., Anholm, J. D., & Roos, P. J., "Dyspnea in patients with COPD: Does dyspnea worsen longitudinally in the presence of declining lung function?", Heart & Lung, 제28권, 제1호, pp. 65-73, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0147-9563(99)70044-0
- Sweer, L., & Zwillich, C. W., "Dyspnea in the patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease", Etiology and Management, Clin Chest Med, 제11권, 제3호, pp. 417-445, 1990.
- Schlecht, N. F., Schwartman, K., & Bourbeau, J., "Dyspnea as clinical indicator in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease" Chron Respir Dis, 제2권, 제4호, 183-191, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1191/1479972305cd079oa
- "만성폐쇄성폐질환 치료지침 개정판 논의", Medical Observer, 221호 21면, 2004, January 12.
- Curtis, J. R., Martin, D. P., & Martin, T. R., "Patient-assessed health outcomes in chronic lung disease: what are they, how do they help us, and where do we go here?", Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 제156권, pp. 1032-1039, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.156.4.97-02011
- Pellegrino, R., Viegi, G., Brusaco, V., Crapo, R. O., Burgos, F., Casaburi, R., Coates, A., van der Grinten, C. P. M., Gustafsson, P., Hankinson, J., Jensen, R., Johnson, D. C., Maclntyre, N., Mckay, R., Miller, M. R., Navajas, D., Pedersen, O. F., & Wanger, J., "Interpretative strategies for lung function tests", Eur Respir J, 제26권, pp. 948-968, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.05.00035205
- Mahler, D. A., Weinberg, D. H., Wells, C. K., & Feinstein, A. R., "The measurement of dyspnea. contents, interobserver agreement, and physiologic correlates of two new clinical indexes", Chest, 제85권, 제6호, pp. 751-758, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.85.6.751
- Mahler, D. A., & Wells, C. K., "Evaluation of clinical methods for rating dyspnea", Chest, 제93권, 제3호, pp. 580-586, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.93.3.580
- 류주연, "만성 폐쇄성 폐질환자의 주관적 호흡곤란, 자가관리 및 건강 관련 삶의 질에 대한 연구", 단국대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, 2004
- Jones, P. W., & Bosh, T. K., "Quality of life changes in COPD patients treated with salmeterol", Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 제155권, 제4호, pp. 1283-1289, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.155.4.9105068
- Havlucu, Y., Celik, P., Dinc, G., Sakar, A., & Yorgancioglu, A., "Assessment of quality of life in COPD", Turk Respir J, 제6권, 제2호, pp. 78-83, 2005.
- 김은진, "만성 폐쇄성 폐질환자의 호흡곤란에 영향을 미치는 인자", 경북대학교 대학원 의학석사학위논문, 2004.
- 이정윤, "만성 폐쇄성 폐질환자의 폐기능과 주관적 호흡곤란, 호흡근 양 및 일상생활 활동 정도", 부산대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, 2007.
- Mahler, D. A., Faryniarz, K., Tomlinson, D., Colice, G. L., Robins, A. G., Olmstead, E. M., & O'Connor, G. T., "Impact of dyspnea and physiologic function on general health status in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease", Chest, 제102권, 제2호, pp. 395-401, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.102.2.395
- Demir, G., Akkcoca, O., Dogan, R., Saryql, S., & Karabiyikoglu, G., "The evaluation of dyspnea and quality of life in COPD", Tuberk Toraks, 제51권, 제4호, pp. 365-372, 2003.
- Elias Hernandez, M. T., Ortega Ruiz, F., Sanchez Riera, H., Otero Candelera, R., Sanchez Gil, R., Montemayor Rubio, T., "Role of dyspnea in quality of life of the patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease", Arch Bronconeumol, 제35권, 제6호, pp. 261-266, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-2896(15)30241-6
- Oga, T., Nishimura, K., Tsukino, M., Sato, S., Hajiro, T., & Mishima, M., "Longitudinal deteriorations in patients with COPD", Eur Respir J, 제28권, 제50호, pp. 806, 2006.
- Vestbo, J., Knudsen, K. M., & Rasmussen, F. V., "Should we continue using questionnaires on breathlessness in epidemiologic surveys?", Am Rev Respi Dis, 제137권, pp. 1114-1118, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm/137.5.1114