- Volume 10 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Design of Miniaturized Wilkinson Power Divider Using Substrate Integrated Artificial Dielectric
기판적층형 가유전체를 이용한 소형화된 윌킨슨 전력분배기 설계
- Koo, Ja-Kyung (Department of Electrical and Communication Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Lim, Jong-Sik (Department of Electrical and Communication Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Ahn, Dal (Department of Electrical and Communication Engineering, Soonchunhyang University)
- Published : 2009.07.31
This paper describes a size-reduced Wilkinson power divider using substrate integrated artificial dielectric(SIAD). SIAD transmission lines have increased effective refractive index, so the line width and length are reduced from those of standard transmission lines. Therefore the "size-reduction effect" is achieved if SIAD lines are applied to high frequency circuits. An efficient simulation method is proposed for SIAD lines which have an enormous number of via-holes. A 2GHz Wilkinson power divider is designed and measured using SIAD transmission line as an example of application. The size of the fabricated divider is reduced by 32% due to the increased effective refractive index of SIAD, while the performances are maintained similarly.
Artificial dielectric;SIAD;Effective refractive index;Wilkinson power divider
- W. E. Kock, "Metallic delay lenses", Bell Syst. Tech. J., vol. 27, pp. 58-82, 1948. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1948.tb01331.x
- S. B. Cohn, "Analysis of the metal strip delay structure for microwaves lenses", J. Appl. Phys., vol. 20, pp. 257 –262, Mar. 1949. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1698352
- S. B. Cohn, "The electric and magnetic constants of metallic delay media containing obstacles of arbitrary shape and thickness", J. Appl. Phys., vol. 22, pp. 628– 634, May 1951. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1700020
- S. B. Cohn, "Microwave measurements on metallic delay media", Proc. IRE, vol. 41, pp. 1177-1183, Sep. 1953. https://doi.org/10.1109/JRPROC.1953.274454
- M. Coulombe, H. V. Nguyen, and C. Caloz, "Substrate Integrated Artificial Dielectric (SIAD) Structure for miniaturized Microstrip Circuits", IEEE. Ant. and Wir. Prop. Lett. vol. 6, pp. 575-579, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2007.910959
- I. Awai, H. Kubo, T. Iribe, D. Wakamiya, and A. Sanada, "An artificial dielectric material of huge permittivity with novel anisotropy and its application to a microwave BPF", in Proc. IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Conf., Philadelphia, PA, pp. 1085-1088, Jun. 9-13, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWSYM.2003.1212557
- David M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering, 3rd edition, John Wiely and Sons, Inc., pp. 143-149, 2003.
- N. J. Kolettis and R. E. Collin, "Anisotropic properties of strip-type artificial dielectric", IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. MTT-9, no. 5, pp. 436-441, Sep. 1961.
- M.-K. Hu and D. K. Cheng, "A new class of artificial dielectrics," in WESCON/58 Conf. Record, vol. 2, pp. 21-25, Aug. 1958. https://doi.org/10.1109/WESCON.1958.1150207
- An Application of Artificial Dielectric Substrate for Design of Size-reduced Directional Couplers vol.12, pp.7, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.7.3169