- Volume 9 Issue 1
The Analysis of the Korean Nursing Research Trends on Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Cancer Patients
암환자에게 적용한 보완.대체요법 관련 국내 간호연구 분석 - 간호학술지를 중심으로 -
- Jun, Myung-Hee (Department of Nursing, Daejeon University) ;
- Uhm, Dong-Choon (Department of Emergeny Medical Technician, Daejeon University) ;
- Jeong, Seong-Hee (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2009.01.27
- Accepted : 2009.02.17
- Published : 2009.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyze nursing research trends on the complementary and alternative therapies (CAT) for the cancer patients in Korea. Method: Thirty eight articles published in 17 nursing-related journal from 1987 to 2008 were analyzed. Results: Nursing Researches on CAT for the cancer patients have increased since 2000. Among the 38 studies, 34 studies used Quasi-experimental design and 13 studies (33%) were conducted for the breast cancer patients. Mind-body therapy (53%), manual healing therapy (42%), and pharmacologic and biological therapy (5%) were the often used CAT types. Nausea, vomiting, vital signs, immune cell, pain, and fatigue were measured as physiologic outcome variables; anxiety, depression, and hope as psychological outcome variables; and quality of life as social outcome variables. Conclusion: More CAM studies are needed targeting the patients with various cancer types and home-based cancer patients.
- Korean National Statistical Office. Statistic about death and cause of death on 2007. 2008.
- Wingate AL, Lackey NR. A description of the needs of noninstitutionalized cancer patients and their primary care givers. Cancer Nurs 1989;12:216-25.
- Bernstein BJ, Grasso T. Prevalence of complementary and alternative medicine use in cancer patients. Oncology (Williston Park) 2001;15:1267-72.
- Jeong YS, Moon BK, Nam HW, Park JS, Eum SY, Choe BM. The survey on using alternative medicine in general population with medical problems: a pilot study. Korean J of Psychosoma Med 1998;6:70-8.
- Averis A. Complementary therapies and epilepsy: a nursing perspective. The Aus J of Holistic Nurs 1995;2(2):26-32.
- National Cancer Information Center Data (2009, Feb. 13). All information about cancer/right understanding cancer. From http://www.cancer.go.kr/cms/index.html
- Eidinger RN, Schapira DV. Cancer patients' insight into their treatment, prognosis, and unconventional therapies. Cancer 1984;53:2736-40. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19840615)53:12<2736::AID-CNCR2820531233>3.0.CO;2-W
- Chung BY, Lee MS, Choi EH. Treds of nursing research in journal of oncology nursing. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2008;8:61-6.
- Oh HS, Park HA. A study on the use of alternative therapy for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2004;4:5-15.
- Wang S. A research on the actual use of complementary and alternative therapies by cancer patients [dissertation]. Seoul: Kyung Hee Univ.;2007.
- Kim SH. Analysis of the use of supplementary alternative therapy and relevant factors in hospitalized cancer patients [dissertation]. Chuncheon:Kangwon Univ.;2008.
- Hwang YY. Nursing students' attitudes towards complementary alternative therapy-Q methodological approach-. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2004;10:297-307.
- Shin KR. The development of Korean nursing alternative. J Korean Acad Nurs 1999;29:1403-18. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19126.96.36.1993
- Moon HW. A study on the use of the complementary and alternative therapy in female cancer patients. Women Health 2004;5(2):19-44.
- Kim ES. The effects of dynamic imagery therapy on "angerin" and immune function in patients with breast cancer. J Korean Acad of Adult Nurs 2003;15:639-49.
- Ro YJ. Characteristics of breast cancer patients, their understandings and attitude towards the disease. J Korean Acad Nurs 1982;7:30-3.
- Lee EI, Shin YC, Lee JH, Kim SD, Kim HJ, Jo MS. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in cancer patients at general hospital in Seoul. J Korean Public Health Assoc 2002;28:225-38.
- Choi SH, Nam YH, Ryu EJ, Baek MW, Suh DH, Suh SR, et al. An integrative review of oncology nursing research: 1980-1998. J Korean Acad Nurs 1998;28:786-800. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19188.8.131.526
- Ernst E, Cassileth BR. The prevalence of complementary/alternative medicine in cancer: a systemic review. Cancer 1998;83:777-82. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980815)83:4<777::AID-CNCR22>3.0.CO;2-O
- Kim KS, Won JS, Jeong IS, Choi WH, Kang JY. Effect of foot reflexology on the vital signs, blood cortisol, lymphocytes and natural killer cell of female cancer patients. J Korean Biolo Nurs Sci 2004;6:5-15.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Data (2009, Feb. 13). What is cam? From http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam
- Lee JH, Kim NC. The effects of music therapy on anxiety, nausea and vomiting in patients receiving total body irradiation for hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2006;6:27-36.
- Lee EH. Mediation effect of hope between fatigue and psychosoical adjustment in women with breast cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2000;30:857-68. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.4.857
- Yang NY, Shin KR. The analysis of research trend about complementary and alternative therapy (CAT) in nursing of Korea. J Korean Acad of Adult Nurs 2003;15: 226-35.
- Han KS, Im NY, Song KA, Hong YA, Kim JI, Kim KH, et al. The analysis of trends in complementary and alternative therapy (CAT) in nursing research in Korea. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2003;10:392-8.
- Rogers SN, Ahad SA, Murphy AP. A structured review and theme analysis of papers published on 'quality of life' in head and neck cancer: 2000-2005. Oral Oncol 2007;43:843-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2007.02.006
- Chung BY, Choi EH. Effect of foot massage on anxiety and pain in mastectomy patients. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2007;7:47-55.
- Panush RS. Alternative medicine: science or superstition? J Rheumatol 1994;21:8-9.
- Lee HD. Complementary and alternative medicine. The graduate school of alternative medicine Kyonggi University. 2005.
- Jang EH, Park KS. A comparative study of nurses and physician's attitudes about complementary and alternative therapy. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2003;15:402-10.