- Volume 9 Issue 1
Sexual Function of Breast Cancer Survivors and Healthy Women : A Comparative Study
유방암 생존자와 정상여성의 성기능
- Kim, Hye-Young (Department of Nursing, Chunnam Techno College) ;
- So, Hyang-Sook (College of Nursing, Chonnam National University) ;
- Chae, Myeong-Jeong (Christian College of Nursing)
- Received : 2009.01.27
- Accepted : 2009.02.05
- Published : 2009.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyse the level of sexual function among breast cancer survivors as compared with that among healthy women. Method: A total of 208 women participated in this study: 103 breast cancer survivors attending self-help group and 105 community-residing healthy women in G city. A self-reported questionnaire with the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI) was used to obtain data. Data were analyzed using the SPSS Win 14.0
- Edwards BK, Brown ML, Wingo PA, Howe HL, Ward E, Ries LA, et al. Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2002, featuring population-based trends in cancer treatment. 2005.
- Ahn SH. Personal experience of 1,000 breast cancer surgeries in Korea. Cancer Res Treat 2000;32:68-75.
- Kim NC, Kim HS, Yu YS, Yong JS, Song MS. Disease-related stress experienced by women with mastectomy: Q methodology. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2003;9:379-89.
- Wilmoth MC. Development and psychometric testing of the sexual behaviors questionnaire. DAI 1993;54:6137-8.
- Oktay JS. Psychosocial aspects of breast cancer. Lippincott's Prim Care Pract 1998;2:149-59.
- Yurek D, Farrar W, Andersen BL. Breast cancer surgery: comparing surgical groups and determining individual differences in postoperative sexuality and body change stress. J Consult Clin Psychol 2000;68:697-709. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.68.4.697
- Hordern A. Intimacy and sexuality for the women with breast cancer. Cancer Nurs 2000;23:230-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200006000-00011
- You YS, Cho OH. Spouse support, sexual satisfaction and marital intimacy of post-mastectomy patients. J Korean Acad Comm Health Nurs 2001;15:148-56.
- Park JY, Lee EO. The comparison of sexual behaviors in breast cancer survivors with women without breast cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2001;1:180-90.
- Oh JH. The comparison of sexual function between breast cancer survivors and women without breast cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;2006.
- Kim HY, So HS, Chae MJ, Kim KM. Comparisons of quality of life, sexual function, and depression in sexuality active or inactive groups of women with mastectomy. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2008;8:77-85.
- Huber CH, Ramnarace T, McCaffrey R. Sexuality and intimacy issues facing women with breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2006;33:1163-7. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.1163-1167
- Schover LR, Yetman RJ, Tuason LJ, Meisler E, Esselstyn CB, Hermann RE, et al. Partial mastectomy and breast reconstruction. A comparison of their effects on psychosocial adjustment, body image, and sexuality. Cancer 1995;75:54-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19950101)75:1<54::AID-CNCR2820750111>3.0.CO;2-I
- Barni S, Mondin R. Sexual dysfunction in treated breast cancer patients. Ann Oncol 1997;8:149-53. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008298615272
- Young-McCaughan S. Sexual functioning in women with breast cancer after treatment with adjuvant therapy. Cancer Nurs 1996;19:308-19. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199608000-00007
- Rogers M, Kristjanson LJ. The impact on sexual functioning of chemotherapy-induced menopause in women with breast cancer. Cancer Nurs 2002;25:57-65. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200202000-00011
- Can G, Oskay U, Durna Z, Aydiner A, Saip P, Disci R, et al. Evaluation of sexual function of Turkish women with breast cancer receiving systemic treatment. Oncol Nurs Forum 2008;35:471-6. https://doi.org/10.1188/08.ONF.471-476
- Speer JJ, Hillenberg B, Sugrue DP, Blacker C, Kresge CL, Decker VB, et al. Study of sexual functioning determinants in breast cancer survivors. Breast J 2005;11:440-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2005.00131.x
- Rosen RC, Taylor JF, Leiblum SR, Bachmann GA. Prevalence of sexual dysfunction in women: results of a survey study of 329 women in an outpatient gynecological clinic. J Sex Marital Ther 1993;19:171-88. https://doi.org/10.1080/00926239308404902
- Ganz PA, Rowland JH, Desmond K, Meyerowitz BE, Wyatt GE. Life after breast cancer: understanding women's health-related quality of life and sexual function. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:501-14. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1991
- Meyerowitz BE, Desmond KA, Rowland JH, Wyatt GE, Ganz PA. Sexuality following breast cancer. J Sex Marital Ther 1999;25:237-59. https://doi.org/10.1080/00926239908403998
- Rosen R, Brown C, Heiman J, Leiblum S, Meston C, Shabsigh R, et al. The female sexual function index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assesment of female sexual function. J Sex Marital Ther 2000;26:191-208. https://doi.org/10.1080/009262300278597
- Janosic W, Schechter M. Breast cancer treatment and education: making the necessary connections. Nebraska Nursing 1995;8:27-31.
- Wiegel H, Meston C, Rosen R. The female sexual function index (FSFI): cross-validation and development of clinical cutoff scores. J Sex Marital Ther 2005;31:1-20.
- Card I. What cancer survivors need to know about health insurance. A Publication of the National Coation for cancer survivorship (NCCS), silver spring, MD 1994.
- Kim HY, So HS, Park KS, Jeong SJ, Lee JY, Ryu SB. Development of the Korean-version of Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI). Kor J Androl 2002;20:50-6.
- Chun N, Park YS. Sexual Functioning in Women with Gynecologic Cancer. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2006;12:308-15.
- Jun MH, Kim YO, Kim MJ. A Comparison of Quality of Life and Sexuality between the Patients with Mastectomy and those with Breast Conservative Operation. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1996;8:142-55.
- Jung BY. Adjustment process of women with breast cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ;1991.
- Enzlin P, Mathieu C, Van Den Bruel A, Vanderschuern D, Demyttenaere K. Prevanlence and predictors of sexual dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003;26:409-14. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.2.409