- Volume 9 Issue 2
Marital Intimacy and Quality of Life in Women With Breast Cancer
유방암 여성이 인식한 배우자와의 친밀감과 삶의 질
- Chung, Chae-Weon (College of Nursing, Seoul National University) ;
- Hwang, Eun-Kyung (Breast Cancer Center, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Hwang, Shin-Woo (College of Nursing, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2009.06.15
- Accepted : 2009.07.30
- Published : 2009.08.31
Purpose: The study was aimed to investigate the levels of marital intimacy and quality of life (QOL) among women with breast cancer. Methods: As a descriptive study, a total of 67 married women with breast cancer was recruited via convenient sampling from a breast clinic in an university hospital. A structured, self-reported questionnaire was administered to the participants. Results: The most participants were housewives in their 40s and 50s, and were in high socioeconomic status. Two thirds of women perceived the marital intimacy with their spouse were increased after the diagnosis of breast cancer. Women's marital intimacy significantly differed by their levels of education. The level of cognitive intimacy was the highest among the subscales, whereas, sexual intimacy was the lowest. The family factor of QOL showed the highest score, and there were differences in QOL by employment status and cancer stage. The QOL and marital intimacy were not correlated significantly. Conclusion: Further research on the couples with breast cancer and intervention for increasing their marital intimacy are needed in the future.
- Northouse LL, Kershaw T, Mood D, Schafenacker A. Effect of family intervention on the quality of life of recurrent breast cancer and their family members. Psychooncology 2005;14:478-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.871
- Segrin C, Badger T, Sieger A, Meek P, Lopez AM. Interpersonal well-being and mental health among male partners of women with breast cancer. Issues Ment Health Nurs 2006;27:371-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/01612840600569641
- Pistrang N, Barker C. The partner relationship in psychological response to breast cancer. Soc Sci Med 1995;40:789-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(94)00136-H
- Lee KH. A measure of marital intimacy. J Korean Home Eco Assoc 1995;33:235-49.
- Yoo YS, Cho OH. Spouse support, sexual satisfaction and marital intimacy of post-mastectomy patients. J Korean Community Health Nurs Acad Soc 2001;15:148-56.
- Northouse LL, Templin T, Mood D, Oberst M. Couple adjustment to breast cancer and benign breast disease: a longitudinal analysis. Psychooncology 1998;7:37-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1611(199801/02)7:1<37::AID-PON314>3.0.CO;2-#
- Shands ME, Lewis FM, Sinsheimer J, Cochrane BB. Core concerns of couples living with early stage breast cancer. Psychooncology 2006;15:1055-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1036
- Lewis FM, Hammond MA, Woods NF. The family's functioning with newly diagnosed breast cancer in the mother: the development of an explanatory model. J Behav Med 1993;16:351-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00844777
- Mellon S, Northouse LL, Weiss L. A population-based study of the quality of life of cancer survivors and their family caregivers. Cancer Nurs 2006;29:120-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200603000-00007
- Holmes S, Dickerson J. The quality of life: design and evaluation of a self-assessment instrument for use with cancer patients. Int J Nurs Stud 1987;24:15-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7489(87)90035-6
- National Cancer Information Center. Available from: URL: http://www.cancer.go.kr.
- Ferrell BR, Hassey-Dow K, Grant M. Measurement of the QOL in cancer survivors. Qual Life Res 1995;4:523-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00634747
- Bultz BD, Speca M, Brasher PM, Geggie P, Page SA. A randomized controlled trial of a brief psychoeducational support group for partners of early stage breast cancer patients. Psychooncology 2000;9:303-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1611(200007/08)9:4<303::AID-PON462>3.0.CO;2-M
- Lewis FM, Cochrane BB, Fletcher KA, Zahlis EH, Shands ME, Gralow JR, et al. Helping her heal: A pilot study of an educational counseling intervention for spouses of women with breast cancer. Psychooncology 2008;17:131-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1203
- Chae YR, Choe MA. Development of a quality of life scale for patients with breast cancer in Korea. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2001;13:486-95.
- Zahlis EH, Shands ME. Breast cancer: demands of the illness on the patient's partner. J Psychosoc Oncol 1991;9:75-93. https://doi.org/10.1300/J077v09n01_04
- Northouse LL, Walker J, Schafenacker A, Mood D, Mellon S, Galvin E, et al. A family-based program of care for women with recurrent breast cancer and their family members. Oncol Nurs Forum 2002;29:1411-9. https://doi.org/10.1188/02.ONF.1411-1419
- Park JY, Lee EO. The comparison of sexual behaviors in breast cancer survivors with women without breast cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2001;1:180-90.
- Kagawa-Singer M, Wellisch DK. Breast cancer patients' perceptions of their husbands' support in a cross-cultural context. Psychooncology 2003;12:24-37. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.619
- Chae YR. Relationships of perceived health status, depression and quality of life of Breast cancer survivors. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2005;17:119-27.