- Volume 9 Issue 2
An Exploratory Study of Hope Structures of the Newly Diagnosed Cancer Patients
진단 초기 암환자의 희망구조 파악을 위한 탐색적 연구
- Park, Moon-Kyoung (Department of Nursing, Kyungin Women's College) ;
- Kim, Dal-Sook (School of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2009.06.12
- Accepted : 2009.07.29
- Published : 2009.08.31
Purpose: This study was to explore the hope structures of the newly diagnosed cancer patients by examining the relationships between hope and the three concepts of 'Personal Spirit', 'Risk' and 'Authentic Caring' which composed the multidimensions of the Nekolaichuk and Bruera's hope model. Methods: Data was collected via survey from 32 newly diagnosed cancer patients. The perceived meaning of life (PML) for 'personal spirit', perceived confidence in cure (PCC) for 'risk', and perceived family support (PFS) and perceived support from medical team (PSM) for 'authentic caring' were adapted from the definitions of the concepts in the model. Hope, PML, and PCC were measured with VAS. PFS and PSM were measured with Korean version of 'Cobb's family support scale', which was modified by Kang. Pearson correlation coefficients were used to identify the relationships among the concepts. Results: The significant relationships were revealed between hope and PCC (p<.001), hope and PML (p<.001), PML and PCC (p<.001), PFS and PML (p=.030), and PSM and PML (p=.047). Conclusion: The newly diagnosed cancer patients experience hope in different ways. The cancer patients' hope immediate after diagnosis, however, is most likely to be experienced as seeking balance between uncertainty about cancer treatment and the meaning of life.
- Yates P. Towards a reconceptualization of hope for patients with a diagnosis of cancer. J Adv Nurs 1993;18:701-6. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1993.18050701.x
- Herth KA, Cutcliffe JR. The concept of hope in nursing 6: research/education/policy/practice. Br J Nurs 2002;11:1404-11. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2002.11.21.12277
- Kim DS, Kim HS, Schwartz-Barcott D, Zucker D. The nature of hope in hospitalized chronically ill patients. Int J Nurs Studies 2006;43:547-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.07.010
- Kim DS. Theory construction of hope for nursing: a Q-methodological approach [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;1992.
- Marcel G. Homo Viator: Introduction to a Metaphysic of Hope/(E. Craufurd Trans.). New York:Harper and Row (Original work published, 1951);1962.
- Lin CC, Tsai HF, Chiou JF, Lai YH, Kao CC, Tsou TS. Changes in levels of hope after diagnostic disclosure among Taiwanese patients whith cancer. Cancer Nurs 2003;26:155-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200304000-00009
- Snyder CR. Oncology Nursing. Boston:Little, Brown & Company;1986.
- Yabro CH, Frogge MH, Goodman M. Cancer Nursing: Principles and practice. 6th ed. Sudbury:Jones and Bartlett Publishers;2005.
- Carroll-Johnson RM, Gorman LM, Bush NJ. Psycosocial Nursing Care: Along the cancer continuum. 2nd ed. Pittsburgh:Oncology Nursing Society;2006.
- Hegel MT, Moore CP, Collins ED, Kearing S, Gillock KL, Riggs RL, et al. Distress, psychiatric syndromes, and impairment of function in women with newly diagnosed cancer. Cancer 2006;107:2924-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22335
- Cancer.net. American society of clinical oncology [cited 2009 Jun 5]. Available from http://www.cancer.net/patient/Diagnosis+and+Treatment/Treating+Cancer/Dealing+With+Cancer+Recurrence.
- Parse RR. Parse's research methodology with an illustration of the lived experience of hope. Nurs Sci Qual 1990;3:9-17. https://doi.org/10.1177/089431849000300106
- Farran CJ, Herth KA, Popovich JM. Hope and Hioekessness: Critical Clinical Constructs. California:Sage Publications;1995.
- Nekolaichuk CL, Bruera E. On the nature of hope in palliative care. J Palliat Care 1998;14:36-42.
- Morse JM, Doberneck B. Delineating the concept of hope. Image 1995;27:277-85.
- Kim DS, Moon WH, Ahn SY, Oh HS, Kwon KH, Park MK, et al. Meta-Analysis of the research findings concersing functional relationships of explanatory variables to hope. J Korean Acad Nurs 2004;34:673-84. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.673
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sceince. Rev. ed. Hillsdale:Lawerence Erlbaum Assoc.;1987.
- Ahn SY, Kim DS. Influences of perceived treatment effect and perceived physical suffering on hope of cancer patients in postoperative period. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2003;15:78-87.
- Uni-duesseldorf.de. Heinrich-Heine-Universita_t, [updated 2009 Jun 29; cited 2009 Jul 3]. Available from http://www. psycho.uni-duesseldorf.de/abteilungen/aap/gpower3/download-andregister.
- Audrey GG. Visual analogue scales:measurement of subjective phenomena. NR 1989;38:286-8.
- Cobb S. Social support as a moderator of life stress. Psychosom 1976;38:300-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197609000-00003
- Choi YH. An experimental study of the effects of supportive nursing intervention on family support behavior and sick role behavior [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;1983.
- Kang HS. An experimental study of the effects of reinforcement education for rehabilitation on hemiplegia patients' self-care activities [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;1984.
- Nunally JC. Psychometric Theory. 2nd Ed. New York:McGraw-Hill Book Company;1978.
- Lohne, V, Severinsson, E. Hope during the first months after acute spinal cord injury. J Adv Nurs 2004;47:279-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03099.x
- Tae YS. Hope Phenomenon of Korean Cancer Patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Ehwa Womans Univ.;1994.
- Ballard A, Green T, McCaa A, Logsdon MC. A comparison of the level of hope in patients with newly diagnosed and recurrent cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 1997;24:899-94.
- Jun MH. An experience of life following breast cancer surgery [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul Univ.;1994.
- Laird, BL. Essential components of psychosocial care for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients [dissertation]. Alabama;Alabama Univ.;2003.
- Wikipedia.org. Wikipedia foundation Inc., [updated 2009 Jul 1; cited 2009 Jul 3]. Available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Likert_scale.