- Volume 9 Issue 2
Nursing Students' Attitude toward Death and Perception on Hospice Care
일부 간호학생의 죽음 관련 태도와 호스피스인식에 대한 실태조사
- Han, Ji-Young (Department of Nursing, Silla University) ;
- Lee, Nae-Young (Department of Nursing, Silla University)
- Received : 2009.06.04
- Accepted : 2009.07.30
- Published : 2009.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine nursing students' attitude toward death and perception on hospice care. Methods: The survey was performed with 277 nursing students in three universities in Daegu and Busan. The data was collected by questionnaires and were analyzed using descriptive statistics. Results: Regarding the attitude on death, 93.9% of the subjects had ever thought about death. They worried about separation and sadness with family (39.7%). About half (48.7%) of the subjects considered death as a final process of the life. With regard to the perception of hospice, 93% of the subjects heard about hospice through books or nursing courses (83.8%). The best hospice management institution was considered the one run by religious groups or non-profit organizations with government support (33.9%). Ideal model of hospice setting in Korea was hospital or institution specialized with hospice care (47.7%). The barriers the subjects thought to effective hospice care in Korea was the lack of the public consensus on the need for hospice program (37.9%). The average perceptions about the purpose of hospice care was 4.38, whereas, the average of the need of hospice care was 4.06. Conclusion: The findings of the study provides the basis for expanding nursing practice and education related to hospice care.
- Yoon EJ. Subjectivity of nursing students toward death. J of KSSSS 1998;3:167-91.
- Feifel H. New meaning of death. New York:McGraw Hill;1977.
- Blumberg JE, Drummond EE. Nursing care of the long term patient. New York:Springer Pulishing co. Inc;1971.
- Korea National Statistical Office. The aged statistics 2008 2008a. Available from: URL:http://www.nso.go.kr/news/news releases/total.
- Korea National Statistical Office. Deaths and cause of death in 2007 2008b. Available from: URL: http://www.nso.go.kr/news/news releases/total.
- Sung SJ. A study of right and hospice of activities rules to hopeless fatal case [dissertation]. Gimhae:Kaya Univ.;2006.
- Lee MJ. A study of hospice care program in aging society [dissertation]. Seoul:Myungji Univ.;2005.
- Lee JB, Kim HS. Studies on hospice service through case management practice focusing on the case study of S-Hospice. J Korean Carework 2007;8:159-84.
- Brockopp DY, King DB, Hamilton JE. The dying patient: a comparative study of nurse caregiver characteristics. Death Studies 1991;15:245-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/07481189108252428
- Thompson EH Jr. Palliative and curative care nurses' attitude toward dying and death in the hospital setting. OMEGA 1995;16:233-42.
- Waltman NL, Zimmerman L. Variations among nurses in behavioral intentions toward the dying. J Hosp 1992;7:37-49. https://doi.org/10.1300/J011v07n04_03
- Lee HJ. A study on nurse' attitude to death and the hospice care. J of Hosp Edu Res 2003;7:87-104.
- Lee YJ. A study on nurses' perception and attitude toward death and hospice [master dissertation]. Daejeon:Daejeon Univ.;2004.
- Shim KM. A study on the hospital care perceived by patients & health professions in Korea [dissertation]. Seoul:Kyunghee Univ.;2000.
- Kwon BK. A study on attitude to death and the hospice care perceived by medical students [dissertation]. Seoul:Kyunghee Univ.;2007.
- Roh YJ. Hospice & death. Seoul:Hyunmoonsa;1994.
- Kang ES, Song HH, Suh YA. Attitude on death and hospice of hospital personnels. J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs 1998;7(1):60-79.
- Lee IR. A study on attitude to death and the hospice care perceived by the elderly [dissertation]. Seoul:Dongguk Univ.;2007.
- Roh SH. A study on university students' orientation and attitudes on death, and cognition degree of hospice [dissertation]. Busan:The Catholic Univ.;2004.
- Han YR, Kim IH. Attitude toward death and recognition of hospice of community dwellers. J Korean Acad Pub Mental Health Nurs 2008;22(1):49-61.
- Jo KH, Lee HJ, Lee YJ. Development and application of online education on death. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37:442-52. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.4.442