- Volume 9 Issue 2
Symptom Cluster Presented by Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients on Gefitinib Treatment
게피티니브 치료를 받은 비소세포폐암 환자의 다발성 증상군 (Symptom Cluster)
- Lee, Sung-Young (Office of Clinical Research Coordination, National Cancer Center) ;
- Park, Hyeoun-Ae (College of Nursing, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2009.01.17
- Accepted : 2009.07.24
- Published : 2009.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify symptom cluster experienced by patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) on gefitinib treatment. In addition, this study assessed the patterns in severity of the symptom cluster and differences in quality of life (QOL) and function among subgroups by the severity of symptom cluster. Methods: This study was conducted as a secondary analysis of symptoms of 72 patients from a mother study. Factor analysis was used to identify symptom clusters measured with EORTC QLQ-C30 and LC13 symptom related items. Results: Three symptom clusters were identified: cluster 1 was comprised of fatigue, anorexia and dysphagia; cluster 2 of dyspnea, cough and insomnia; and cluster 3 of pain, constipation and nausea/vomiting. These three symptom clusters were improved one week after gefitinib administration. The group with more severe symptom clusters showed significantly lower QOL and function than the group with less severe symptom clusters. Conclusion: Since symptom clusters experienced by the patients with advanced NSCLC influenced on the QOL and function, it is important for nurses to understand and observe their symptom clusters. In addition, there is an necessity to develop nursing interventions to effectively care patients with the symptom clusters.
Supported by : 국립암센터
- Walsh D, Donnelly S, Rybicki L. The symptoms of advanced cancer: relationship to age, gender, and performance status in 1000 patients. Support Care Cancer 2000;8:175-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005200050281
- Dodd MJ, Miaskowski C, Paul SM. Symptom clusters and their effect on the functional status of patients with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2001;28 Suppl 3:465-70.
- Miaskowski C, Dodd M, Lee K. Symptom clusters: the new frontier in symptom management research. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 2004;32:17-21.
- Miaskowski C, Aouizerat BE, Dodd M, Cooper B. Conceptual issues in symptom clusters research and their implications for quality of life assessment in patients with cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 2007;37:39-46.
- Fox SW, Lyon DE. Symptom clusters and quality of life in survivors of lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2006;33 Suppl 5:931-6. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.931-936
- Gift AG, Jablonski A, Stommel M, Given W. Symptom clusters in elderly patients with lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2004;31 Suppl 2:203-10. https://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.203-212
- Hoffman AJ, Given BA, Eye A, Gift AG, Given CW. Relationships among pain, fatigue, insomnia and gender in persons with lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2007;34 Suppl 4:785-92. https://doi.org/10.1188/07.ONF.785-792
- Wang SY, Tsai CM, Chen BC, Lin CH, Lin CC. Symptom clusters and relationships to symptom interference with daily life in Taiwanese lung cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage 2008;35 Suppl 3:258-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2007.03.017
- Chun NM, Kwon JY, Noh GO, Kim SH. Symptom Clusters in women with gynecologic cancer. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 2008;14 Suppl 1:61-70.
- National Statistical Office Korea. Cancer Statistics Review 2007. Available from: URL: http://www.nso.go.kr/
- Milton DT, Miller VA. Advances in cytotoxic chemotherapy for the treatment of metastatic or recurrent non-small cell lung cancer. Semin Oncol 2005;32:299-314. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2005.02.011
- Lee DH, Han JY, Yu SY, Kim HY, Nam BH, Hong EK, et al. The role of gefitinib treatment for korean never-smokers with advanced or metastatic adenocarcinoma of the lung: a prospective study. J Thorac Oncol 2006;1 Suppl 9:965-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1556-0864(15)31642-7
- Yun YH, Park YS, Lee ES, Bang SM, Heo DS, Park SY, et al. Validation of the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ C30. Qual Life Res 2004;13:863-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:QURE.0000021692.81214.70
- Walsh E, Rybicki L. Symptom clustering in advanced cancer. Support Care Cancer 2006;14 Suppl 8:831-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-005-0899-z
- Esper P, Heidrich D. Symptom clusters in advanced illness. Semin Oncol Nurs 2005;21 Suppl 1:20-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.soncn.2004.10.004
- Marinangeli F, Ciccozzi A, Leonardis M, Aloisio L, Mazzei A, Paladini A, et al. Use of strong opioids in advanced cancer pain: a randomized trial. J Pain Symptom Manage 2004;27 Suppl 5:409-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2003.10.006
- Fox SW, Lyon DE, Farace E. Symptom clusters in patients with high grade glioma. J Nurs Scholarsh 2007;39 Suppl 1:61-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2007.00144.x
- Donovan KA, Jacobsen PB. Fatigue, depression, and insomnia: evidence for a symptom cluster in cancer. Semin Oncol Nurs 2007;23 Suppl 2:127-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2007.01.004
- Honeea N, Brant J, Beck SL. Treatment related symptom cluster. Semin Oncol Nurs 2007;23 Suppl 2:142-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2007.01.002
- Byar KL, Berger AM, Bakken SL, Cetak MA. Impact of adjuvant breast cancer chemotherapy on fatigue, other symptoms, and quality of life. Oncol Nurs Forum 2006;33 Suppl 1:E18-26. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.E18-E26
- Miaskowski C, Cooper BA, Paul SM, Dodd M, Lee K, Aouizerat BE, et al. Subgroups of patients with cancer with different symptom experiences and quality of life outcomes: a cluster analysis. Oncol Nurs Forum 2006;33 Suppl 5:E79-89. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.E79-E89
- Chan CW, Richardson A, Richardson J. A study of assess the existence of the symptom cluster of breathlessness, fatigue and anxiety in patients with advanced lung cancer. Eur J Oncol Nurs 2005;9:325-33.
- Given CW, Given B, Azzouz F, Kozachik S, Stommel M. Predictors of pain and fatigue in the year following diagnosis among elderly cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage 2001;21 Suppl 6:456-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(01)00284-6
- Gwede CK, Small BJ, Munster PN, Andrykowski MA, Jacobsen PB. Exploring the differential experience of breast cancer treatment-related symptoms: a cluster analytic approach. Support Care Cancer 2007;13:904-11.
- Chow E, Fan G, Hadi S, Filipczak L. Symptom clusters in cancer patients with bone metastases. Support Care Cancer 2007;15:1035-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-007-0241-z
- Chow E, Fan G, Hadi S, Wong J, Kirou-Mauro A, Filipczak L. Symptom clusters in cancer patients with brain metastases. Clin Oncol 2008;20:76-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2007.09.007
- Gleaso JF, Case D, Rapp SR, Ip E, Naughto M, Butler JM, et al. Symptom Clusters in Patients With Newly-Diagnosed Brain Tumors. J Support Oncol 2007;5 Suppl 9:427-36.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Cinical parcitece quideline in oncology; Cancer related fatigue 2008 Available from: URL: http://www.nccn.org/
- Joyce M, Schwartz S, Huhmann M. Supportive care in lung cancer. Semin Oncol Nurs 2008;24 Suppl 1:57-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2007.11.013
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Cinical parcitece quideline in oncology; Adult cancer pain 2008 Available from: URL: http://www.nccn.org/