- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Mating System, Carcass Grade and Age at Marketing on Carcass Characteristics of Pigs
돼지의 교배조합·도체등급 및 출하일령이 도체특성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Gye-Woong (Department of Animal Resources Science, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Seok-Eun (Department of Animal Resources Science, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2009.01.13
- Accepted : 2009.02.18
- Published : 2009.02.01
This study was carried out to investigate the carcass characteristics of crossbred pigs according to mating system, carcass grade and age at marketing. A total of 656 pigs of 128 gilts and 528 barrows were collected and analyzed at public slaughter house. Differences between LY and LYD crossbred on marbling score and water holding capacity were significantly (p<0.05) found. The influences of LY and LYD crossbred on carcass weight, backfat thickness, meat colour, carcass grade and age at marketing were not significantly showed. The carcass weight of D carcass grade was significantly (p<0.05) heavier than that of the other grade. The backfat thickness was significantly (p<0.05) appeared gradually in accordance with the increase of carcass grade. There was significantly difference among the carcass grades on water holding capacity (p<0.05). The differences among the carcass grades on the meat colour, marbling score and age at marketing were not found significantly. The carcass weight of high age group at marketing was significantly heavier than that of the low age group (p<0.05). The backfat thickness of the group of high age at marketing was significantly thicker than that of the group of low age (p<0.05). There were significant differences among age group at marketing in marbling score, carcass grade, and water holding capacity, respectively (p<0.05). The carcass weight was positively correlated with the backfat thickness but negatively correlated with the carcass grade. The correlation between the backfat and carcass grade was significantly negative. The meat colour was negatively correlated with water holding capacity.
- Boggs, D. L. and Merkel, R. A. 1984. Live Animal Carcass Evaluation and Selection Manual, Kendall/hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque, Iowa.
- Carmeron, N. D. 1990. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for fatty acid composition of subcutaneous fat, meat quality, carcass composition and eating quality traits in pigs. Proc. 4th WCGALP 15:549.
- Cho, S. H., Park, B. Y., Kim, J. H., Kim, M. J., Seong, P. N., Kim, Y. J., Kim, D. H. and Ahn, C. N. 2007. Carcass Yields and Meat Quality by Live Weight of Korean Native Black Pigs. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 49: 523-530. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.523
- Choi, Y. I., Kim, Y. T., Lee, C. L. and Han, I. K. 2000. Carcass and Pork Quality Characteristics by Sex and Marketing Day. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 42(6):933-940.
- Choi, Y. S. 2004. Studies on the pork quality of Korean native black pigs and its improvement through dietary manipulation. Ph. D. thesis, Kangwon National Univ., Chuncheon, Korea. pp. 1-169.
- Choi, Y. S., Park, B. Y., Lee, J. M. and Lee. S. K. 2005. Comparison of Carcass and Meat Quality Characteristics between Korean Native Black Pigs and Commercial Crossbred Pigs. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 25:322-327.
- Hah, K. H., Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Song, Y. M., Lee, J. R. and Chung, K. Y. 2005. Pork Quality Characteristics by Different Backfat Thickness. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 25:391-396.
- Honikel, K. O. 1987. Wasserbindungsvermogen von fleisch. Fleischwirtsch. 67: 418.
- Hovenier, R., Kanis, E., Brascamp, E. W. and Knap, P. W. 1994. Including meat quality in pig breeding program, Proc. 5th WCGALP 19:465.
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Hur, S. J., Kim, S. J. and Jeong, K. J. 2004. The Influence of Pig Breeds on Qualities of Loin. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 48:747-758.
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Song, Y. M., Hur, S. J., Hah, K. H., Kim, H. Y., Lyou, H. J., Ha, J. H. and Kim, B. W. 2004. Physic-Chemical Characteristics of Crossbred Pigs with Carcass Grade. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 24:246-252.
- Joo, S. T., Kauffman, R. G., Kim, B. C. and Park, G. B. 1999. The relationship of sarcoplasmic and myofibrillae protein solubility to colour and water-holding capacity in porcine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci. 52:291-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00005-4
- Kim, J. H., Park, B. Y., Yoo, Y. M., Cho, S. H., Hwang, I. H., Seong, P. N., Hah, K. H. and Lee, J. M. 2006. Characteristics of Carcass and Meat Quality for Landrace, Yorkshire, Duroc and their Crossbred. Korean J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 48(1):101-106. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.1.101
- Larzul, C., Lefaucheur, L., Ecolan, P., Gogue, J., Talmant, A., Sellier, P., Le Roy, P. and Monin, G. 1997. Phenotypic and genetic parameters for longissimus muscle fiber characteristics in relation to growth, carcass, and meat quality traits in Large White pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 75:3126. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.75123126x
- Lee, J. G. and Joo, S. T. 1999. Effects of Slaughter Weight on Backfat Thickness, Intramuscular Fat and Physical Properties of Pork Loin from Barrow. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 41(2):207-214.
- Lee. M. S., Lee, Y. I., Lee, S., Kim, S. H., Jung, Y. C., Koh, K. C., Hong, K. C. and Kim, B. C. 1996. Carcass Traits and Pork Quality for Purebred and Crossbred Pigs in Korea. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 38(5):527-535.
- Park, K. K., Park, H. Y., Jung, Y. C., Lee, E. S., Yang, S. Y., Im, B. S. and Kim, C. J. 2005. Effects of Fermented Food Waste Feeds on Pork Carcass and Meat Quality Properties. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 37(1): 38-43.
- Park. M. J., Ha, D. M., Shin, H. W., Lee, S. H., Kim, W. K., Ha, S. H., Yang, H. S., Jeong, J. Y., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2007. Growth Efficiency, Carcass Quality Characteristics and Profitability of 'High'-Market Weight Pigs. Korean J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 49(4):459-470. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.459
- Wood, J, D., Enser, M. and Moncrieff, C. B. 1988. Effects of carcass fatness and sex on the composition and quality of pig meat. proc. 34th Inter. Cong. Meat Sci. Techn., Brisbane, Australia, 562.
- Zhu, L. G. and Brewer, M. S. 1998. Discoloration of fresh pork as related to muscle and display conditions. J. Food Sci. 63:763-767. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1998.tb17895.x
- SAS. 1997. SAS User’s Guide : Statistical Analysis System, Cary. NC.
- 농림부. 2007. 축산물등급판정세부기준. 돼지도체규격등급과 육질등급판정기준. pp. 15-16.
- 농림수산식품부. 2008. 주요 축산물 소비량. pp. 104-105.
- 송영민, 진상근, 이성대, 하경희, 정맹화. 2002. 돈방구조와 발효사료 급여가 비육돈의 육질에 미치는 영향. 한국국제농업개발학회지 14(3):169-175.
- 원광식. 1997. 소․돼지 도체수율 및 육질특성. 농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소. pp. 11-25.
- Effect of Protein Fractionation and Buffer Solubility of Forage Sources on In Vitro Fermentation Characteristics, Degradability and Gas Production vol.32, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.1.59
- Effects of Carcass Weight and Back-fat Thickness on Carcass Properties of Korean Native Pigs vol.37, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2017.37.3.385