- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Crude Protein Levels on Nitrogen Balance in Adult Jindo Dog
사료내 조단백질 수준이 진도성견의 질소균형에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Tae-Il (College of Animal Bioscience & Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Maeng, Won-Jai (College of Animal Bioscience & Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Myeong-Hwa (College of Animal Bioscience & Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Rak (College of Animal Bioscience & Technology, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2008.12.18
- Accepted : 2009.04.21
- Published : 2009.04.01
This study was conducted to determine the protein requirement level in adult Jindo dog (Korea Jindo Dog) through nitrogen balance experiments. 12 female dogs aged 36~38 weeks old (for early stage) or aged 45~49 weeks old (for late stage) were fed one of 3 diets containing 17, 19 and 21% of crude protein. Body weight of dogs were measured during the 12 days of feeding trial, and feces and urine were collected last 3 days of the trial period. In early stage of Jindo dog, average daily gain of dogs fed experimental diets containing 17, 19 and 21% of crude protein were -38.33, -16.25 and -12.71g/d, respectively. There was a significant differences between 17 and 21% of crude protein treatments (p<0.05) and calculated retained nitrogen were -0.29, -0.04 and -0.03g/kg
Adult Jindo dog;Nitrogen balance;Protein level;Calculated linear regression equation
- Allison, J. B. 1956. Optimal nutrition correlated with nitrogen retention. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 4:662. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/4.6.662
- Allison. J. B. 1964. The nutritive value of dietary proteins. In Mammalian Protein Metabolism, vol.II, p.47, ed. H. N. Munro. and J. B. Allison, New York: Academic Press.
- A.O.A.C. 1990. Official method of analysis. 15th ed. Association of official analytical chemists, Inc.
- Arnold, A. and Schad, J. S. 1954. Nitrogen balance studies with the dogs on casein or methionine-supplemented casein. J. Nutr. 53:265. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/53.2.265
- Association of American Feed Control Officials. 1992. Official publication. Association of American Feed Control Officials.
- Campbell, I. T. and Donaldson, J. 1981. Energy requirements of antarctic sledge dogs. Br. J. Nutr. 45:95. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19810081
- Davis, S. J. and Valls, F. R. 1978. Evidence for domestication of the dog 12,000 years ago in the Natufian of Israel. Nature, 276:608. https://doi.org/10.1038/276608a0
- Durrer, J. L. and Hannon, J. P. 1962. Seasonal variations in caloric intake of dogs living in an arctic environment. Am. J. Physiol. 202:375.
- Earle, K. E. and Smith, P. M. 1991. Digestible energy requirements of adult cats maintenance. J. Nutr. 121:45. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.suppl_11.S45
- Greaves, J. P. and Scott, P. P. 1960. Nutrition of the cat. III. Protein requirements for nitrogen equilibrium in adult cats maintained on a mixed diet. Br. J. Nutr. 14:361. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19600047
- Hill, R. C., Lewis, D. D., Scott, K. C., Sundstrom, D. and Butterwick, R. F. 1998. Increased dietary protein slows racing Greyhounds. J. Vet. Intern. Med. 12:242 (abs.).
- Hill, R. C., Lewis, D. D., Scott, K. C., Sundstrom, D. and Butterwick, R. F. 1995. Clinical nutrition in the athletic dog. In proceeding 11th Annual Int. Canine Sports Med. Symp, Orlando Florida, M. Bloomberg p. 10.
- Holme, D. W. 1982. Practical use of prepared foods for dogs and cats. In dog and Nutrition. New York. Pergamon Press.
- Kade, C. F., Phillips, Jr., J. H. and Phillips, W. A. 1948. The determination of the minimum nitrogen requirement of the adult dog for maintenance of nitrogen balance. J. Nutr. 36:109. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/36.1.109
- Kronfeld, D. S., Hammel, E. P., Ramberg, Jr., C. F. and Dunlap, Jr. H. L. 1977. Hematological and metabolic responses to training in racing sled dogs fed diets containing medium, low or zero carbohydrate. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 30:419. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/30.3.419
- Lazar, V. 1990. Dog food history, Pet Food Ind. p. 40, Set/Oct. 1990.
- Mabee, D. M. and Morgan, A. F. 1951. Evaluation by dog growth of egg yolk protein and six other partially purified protein, some after heat treatment. J. Nutr. 43:261. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/43.2.261
- Melnick, D. and Cowgill, G. R. 1937. The protein minima for nitrogen equilibrium with different proteins. J. Nutr. 13:401. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/13.4.401
- National Research Council. 1985. Nutrient Requirements of Dogs. Washington, D. C.: National Academy Press.
- Ontko, J. A., Wuthier, R. E. and Phillips, P. H. 1957. The effects of increased dietary fat upon the protein requirement of the growing dog. J. Nutr. 62:163. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/62.2.163
- Schaeffer, M. C., Rogers, Q. R. and Morris. J. G. 1989. Protein in the nutrition of dogs and cats. Nutrition of the dog and cat. New York, Cambridge University Press.
- SAS package. 1996. SAS Institute Inc.
- 森爲三. 1937. 珍島犬た關する調査報告. 朝鮮總督府林業試驗場報告.
- 朴鍾萬. 1971. 韓國珍島犬에 關한 硏究(第 I 報). 韓國畜産學會誌. 第13券第2號.