- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic Parameters and Annual Trends for Racing Times of Thoroughbred Racehorses
더러브렛 경주마의 주파기록에 대한 유전모수 추정과 연도별 개량량 분석
- Oh, Seung-Yoon (Interdisciplinary Program in Bioinformatics, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Jong-Eun (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Ran (Department of Statistics, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Jin-Woo (Korea Racing Authority) ;
- Oh, Hee-Seok (Department of Statistics, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Hee-Bal (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- 오승윤 (서울대학교 협동과정 생물정보학) ;
- 박종은 (서울대학교 농생명공학부) ;
- 이정란 (서울대학교 통계학과) ;
- 이진우 (한국마사회) ;
- 오희석 (서울대학교 통계학과) ;
- 김희발 (서울대학교 농생명공학부)
- Received : 2009.02.06
- Accepted : 2009.04.21
- Published : 2009.04.01
The aim of this study was to estimate genetic parameters and annual trends on the racing performance of Thoroughbred horses by a statistical analysis of the resulting records. We used the racing results of 245,979 observations for 13,458 horses recorded in 19 years of race held at Seoul and Busan racing tracks, provided by Korea Racing Authority. After a careful adjustment of some variables such as racing times, jockey and trainer numbers and the average prize a horse won, we selected significant factors that explain the result of racing records of a horse by stepwise AIC and BIC methods. The estimated heritability and repeatability were 0.322 and 0.332, respectively. The average of annual phenotypic and genetic improvement was -0.166 seconds and -0.161 seconds, respectively. Based on the statistical approach, we established reasonable animal model of well-set variables, which is important in the study on estimating performance of racing horses.
- Akaike, H. 1973. Information theory and an extension of the maximum likelihood principle. Second international symposium on information theory. Paper No. 267-281.
- Bakhtiari, J. and Kashan, N. E. J. 2009. Estimation of genetic parameters of racing performance in Iranian thoroughbred horses. Livestock Science. 120(1-2):151-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.05.007
- Chico, M. D. 1994. Genetic analysis of thoroughbred racing performance in Spain. Ann Zootech. 43:393-397. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:19940409
- Ekiz, B. and Kocak, O. 2007. Estimates of genetic parameters for racing times of thoroughbred horses. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 31(1):1-5.
- Meyer, K. 2007. WOMBAT—A tool for mixed model analyses in quantitative genetics by restricted maximum likelihood (REML). J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 8(11):815-821. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.2007.B0815
- Montgomery, D. C. 2005. Design and analysis of experiments. 6th ed., Wiley., p. 94-95.
- Moritsu, Y., Terai, A. and Tashiro, T. 1998. Relationship between sire breeding values for the rating score on turf and dirt racing tracks in thoroughbred racehorses. J. Equine Sci. 9:89-92. https://doi.org/10.1294/jes.9.89
- Mota, M. D. S., Abrahao, A. R. and Oliveira, H. N. 2005. Genetic and environmental parameters for racing time at different distances in Brazilian thoroughbreds. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 122:393-399. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2005.00551.x
- Park, K. D., Lee, H. K., Jeon, G. J., Kong, H. S., Cho, B. W., Cho, K. H. and Son, S. K. 2008. Trends on racing speed traits in thoroughbred racehorses. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 50(6): 747-752. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.6.747
- Schwarz, G. 1978. Estimating the dimension of a model. The annals of statistics. 6:461-464. https://doi.org/10.1214/aos/1176344136
- Tukey, J. W. 1953. The problem of multiple comparisons. Unpublished notes, Princeton University.