- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis for Linear Type Classification Scheme on Holstein Cows in Korea
국내 홀스타인종 젖소의 선형형질의 점수제 분석
- Choi, Te-Jeong (National Institute of Animal Science, R.D.A) ;
- Cho, Kwang-Hyun (National Institute of Animal Science, R.D.A) ;
- Lee, Ki-Hwan (National Institute of Animal Science, R.D.A) ;
- Sang, Byeong-Chan (Dept. of Dairy Science Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2008.08.07
- Accepted : 2009.04.09
- Published : 2009.04.01
Complement of test standard, evaluation methods and models are needed to improve national competitiveness and to exchange superior genetic resources through the comparison of genetic evaluation score among nations in dairy cattle. Therefore, this study was conducted for the application of international standard to Korea considering domestic circumstance by changing linear-classification test score system of 50 classes which is currently used in Korea to system of 9 classes which is used in advanced nations of dairy. 15,230 of holstein cow linear type records with first parity records for the fifteen linear type and one total score from 2001 to 2006 and pedigree data which were collected by the Korean Animal Improvement Association were used in this study. Population classified by 9 levels was more normal distributed than 50 levels. Correlation coefficients between 50 and 9 score system showed over 0.98 by each classification scheme. Therefore, the 50 point system can be substituted with 9 point system due to their highly positive correlation. However, scores in all traits were still very contingent on classifier under the 9 point system (p<0.001), and F values between foot angle and front teat attachment showed high fluctuation depending on classifier. It means that subjective opinions of classifier would influence on linear type score as ever even if class scheme transformed to system of 9 class. Therefore, the relevance of transformation to the 9 point system should be assessed after analyses about various environmental factors.
Linear type traits;Classification scheme;Conformation;Holstein cow
- Boelling, D. and Pollott, G. E. 1998. Locomotion, lameness, hoof and leg traits in cattle: II. Genetic relationships and breeding value. Livest. Prod. Sci. 54:205-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00173-5
- Brotherstone, S. and Hill, W. G. 1991. Dairy herd life in relation to linear type traits and production. e. Genetic analyses for pedigree and non-pedigree cows. Anim. Prod. 53:298-297.
- Dadati, E., Kennedy, B. W. and Burnside, E. B. 1985. Relationships between conformation and reproduction in Holstein cows: type and calving performance. J. Dairy Sci. 68:2639-2645. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)81148-6
- De jong, G. and Lansbergen, L. 1996. Udder health index: selection for mastitis resistance. Proceedings of the International workshop on genetic improvement of functional traits in cattle, Gembloux, Belgium, January 1996. INTERBULL Bull. 12:42-47.
- Hayes, A. E. and Mao, I. L. 1987. Effect of parity, age and stage of lactation at classification on linear type scores of Holstein cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 70:1898. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80229-1
- Hewitt, D. 2000. Type harmonisation working group-report of World Holstein Friesian Federation 5th Classifiers Workshop. Pages 172-177 in 10th World Holstein-Friesian Conference, Sydney.
- Holstein Association USA. 2005. http//www.holsteinusa.com/ Dec. 12, 2005 accessed.
- Koenen, E. P. C. and Groen, A. F. 1998. Genetic evaluation of body weight of lactating Holstein heifers using body measurements and conformation traits. J. Dairy Sci. 81:1709-1713. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75738-8
- Setati, M. M., Norris, D., Banga, C. B. and Benyi, K. 2004. Relationships between Longevity and Linear Type Traits in Holstein Cattle Population of Southern Africa. Tropical Animal Health and Production, 36(8):807-814. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:TROP.0000045965.99974.9c
- Thompson, J. R., Freeman, A. E., Wilson, D. J., Chapin, C. A., Breger, P. J. and Kuck, A. 1981. Evaluation of a Linear type program in Holsteins. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(81)82733-6
- Tomas, C. L., Vinson, W. E., Pearson, R. E., Dicknson, F. N. and Johnson, L. P. 1984. Relationships between linear type scores, objective type measures, and indicators of mastitis. J. Dairy Sci. 67:1281-1292. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(84)81435-6
- Neuenschwander, T., Kadarmideem, H. N., Wegmann, S. and de Haas, Y. 2005. Genetics of Parity-Dependant Production Increase and its Relationship with Health, Fertility, Longevity, and Conformation in Swiss Holsteins. J. Dairy. Sci. 88:1540-1551. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72823-X
- Tsuruta, S., Misztal, I. and Lawlor, T. J. 2005. Changing Definition of Productive Life in US Holsteins : Effection Genetic Correlations. J. Dairy Sci. 88:1156-1165. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72782-X
- Vacek, M., Stipkova, M., Nemcova, E. and Bouska, J. 2006. Relationships between conformation traits and longevity of Holstein cows in the CzechRepublic Czech. J. Anim. Sci. 51(8):327-333.
- Vollema, A. R. and Groen, A. F. 1997. Genetic correlations between longevity and conformation traits in an upgrading dairy cattle population. J. Dairy Sci. 80:3006-3014. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76267-2
- Veerkamp, R. F. and Brotherstone, S. 1997. Genetic correlations between linear type traits, food intake, live weight and condition score in Holstein Friesian dairy cattle. Anim. Sci. 64:358-392.
- Veerkamp, R. F., Gerritsen, C. L. M., Koenen, E. P. C., Hamoen, A. and Ee Jong, G. 2002. J. Dairy Sci. 85:976-983. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74157-X
- Weigel, K. A., Lawlor, T. J., JR., Vanraden, P. M. and Wiggans, G. R. 1998. Use of Linear Type and Production Data to Supplement Early Predicted Transmitting Abilities for Productive Life. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2040-2044. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75778-9
- 송치은, 상병찬, 도창희. 2002. 국내 홀스타인 젖소의 선형심사에 대한 보정계수 개발. 한국동물자원과학회지. 44(1):1-12.
- 이기환. 2008. Holstein종 젖소의 선형형질에 대한 유전모수추정에 관한 연구. 충남대학교 석사학위논문.
- 이광전, 강민식, 조광현, 강민구, 이상구. 1994. 체형 형질에 대한 보정계수 개발. 한축지. 36(6):574-583.
- 이득환, 김은길. 2006. Holstein 젖소의 선형심사형질과 등급 형질에 대한 환경효과 분석. 한국동물자원과학회지. 48(6):767-776. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.6.767
- (사)가축개량사업국. 2002. 유용우 생애 생산성 향상 기술. 일본
- 농촌진흥청 축산과학원. 2007. 2006년 하반기 젖소 유전능력 평가 보고서 II.