- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Establishment of Genetic Characteristics and Individual Identification System Using Microsatellite loci in Domestic Beef Cattle
초위성체 DNA표지인자를 이용한 국내 육우집단의 품종특성 및 개체식별 체계설정
- Kim, Sang-Wook (College of Agriculture, Life and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jang, Hee-Kyung (College of Agriculture, Life and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Kwan-Suk (College of Agriculture, Life and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Jong-Joo (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Jeon, Jin-Tae (Division of Applied Life Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Yoon, Du-Hak (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kang, Seong-Ho (Department of Chemistry and Research Institute of Physics and Chemistry, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Jung, Hyo-Il (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Cheong, Il-Cheong (Hankyong National University)
- 김상욱 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 축산학과) ;
- 장희경 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 축산학과) ;
- 김관석 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 축산학과) ;
- 김종주 (영남대학교 생명공학부) ;
- 전진태 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부) ;
- 윤두학 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 강성호 (전북대학교 화학과 이화학연구소) ;
- 정효일 (연세대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 정일정 (한경대학교)
- Received : 2009.07.01
- Accepted : 2009.08.15
- Published : 2009.08.01
DNA marker information is used to identify or distinguish cattle breeds or individual animal. The purpose of this study was to apply Bovine Genotypes Kit Version 1.1/2.1 to bovine DNA samples (National Institute of Animal Science) taken from Australian / American beef (n=148), Holstein beef (n=170) and Hanwoo cattle (n=177) bred in Jeongeub, Jeonbuk, Korea, so that it could distinguish Hanwoo breed. The Bovine Genotype Kits consist of 16 ISAG MS markers, which were used to build a database of genotypes in each group. Genotyping results were analyzed using MS Tool kit and Phylip program to create phylogenetic tree. The GeneClass 2.0 was used to estimate breed identification. These analyses found that this kit had 100% capacity to distinguish Hanwoo beef, 95.3% capacity to differentiate Australian / American beef and 90% capacity to identify Korean Holstein steer beef. Hence, it is expected that 16 commercial microsatellite markers is useful to categorizegenetic characteristics of Hanwoo breed and also identify Hanwoo individuals and the origin of beef. In particular, it is expected that these markers will be advantageous in discriminating domestic Holstein beef from Australian / Americanbeef.
Hanwoo;Microsatellite;Individual identification;Geneclass analysis;Phylogenetic analysis
Grant : Bovine Genotype Panel을 이용한 한우육 판별 및 판정 마커의 분석체계 수립, 한우 육량육질 조기선발용 DNA kit 산업화기술개발
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Baker, J. S. F., Tan, S. G., Selvaraj, O. S. and Mukherjee, T. K. 1997. Genetic variation within and relationships among populations of Asian water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Anim. Genet. 28:1-1. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.00036.x
- Bjornstad, G., Nilsen, N. O. and Roed, K. H. 2003. Genetic relationship between Mongolian and Norwegian horse. Aniam. Genet. 34:55-58. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2003.00922.x
- Blott, S. C., Williams, J. L. and Haley, C. S. 1999. Discriminating among cattle breeds using genetic markers. Heredity. 82:613-619. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2540.1999.00521.x
- Fan, B., Wang, Z., Li, Y. Z., Zhao, X., Liu, B., Zhao, S. H., Yu, M., Li, M., Chen S., Xiong, T. and Li, K. 2002. Genetic variation analysis within and among Chinese indigenous swine populations using microsatellite markers. Anim. Genet. 33:422-427. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2002.00898.x
- Fan, B., Chen, Y., Moran, C., Zhao, S., Liu, B., Zhu, M., Xiong, T. and Li, K. 2005. Individual-breed assignment analysis in swine populations by using microsatellite markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1529-1534.
- Fries, R. and Durstewitz, G. 2001. Digital DNA signatures: SNPs for animal tagging. Nat. Biotechnol. 19, 508.
- Lee, H. K., Jean, G. J., Kong, H. S., Oh, J. D., Choi, I. S., Kim, C. D., Jo, C. Y., Yoon, D. H., Shin, H. D. and Lee, J. H. 2004. Application of DNA test for individual traceability in Hanwoo. Korea J. Food. Sci. Ani. Resour. 1:8-14.
- Li, K., Chen, Y., Moran, C., Fan, B., Zhao, S. and Peng, Z. 2000. Analysis of diversity and genetic relationships between four Chinese indigenous pig breeds and one Australian commercial pig breed. Anim. Genet. 31:322-325. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2000.00649.x
- Machugh, D. E., Loftus, R. T., Cunningham, P. and Bradley, D. G. 1998. Genetic structure of seven European cattle breeds assessed using 20 microsatellite markers. Animal Genetics 29:333-340. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1998.295330.x
- Nei, M., Taima, F. and Tateno, Y. 1983. Accuracy of estimated phylogenetic trees from molecular data. J. Mol. Evol. 19:153-170. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02300753
- Oh, J. D., Lee, J. A., Kong, H. S., Park, K. D., Yoon, D. H., Jean. G. J. and Lee, H. K. 2008. Estimation of Genetic characteristic and cumulative power of breed discrimination using microsatellite marker in Hanwoo. J. Emb. Trans. 3:203-209.
- Olowofeso, O., Wang, Y., Shen, J., Chen, K., Sheng, H., Zhang, P. and Wu, R. 2005. Estimation of the cumulative power of discrimination in Haimen chicken populations withen microsatellite markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1066-1070.
- Ota, T. 1993. DINPAN. Pennsylvania State University, PA. USA.
- Park, D. D. E. 2000. Microsatellite Toolkit For MS Excel 97 or 2000.
- Rannala, B. and Mountain, J. L. 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 94:9197-9201. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.94.17.9197
- Seo, K. S., Y. M. Cho. and H. K. Lee. 2000. Development of Network System for the Application of HACCP in Livestock production Stage. J. Agroinformatics. 1:1-4.
- Sneath P. H. A. and Sokal R.R. 1973. Numerical Taxonomy. Freeman, San Francisco, USA.
- Yoon, D. H., Kong, H. S., Oh, J. D., Lee, J. H., Cho, B. W., Kim, J. D., Jeon, K. J., Jo, C. Y. Jeon, G. J. and Lee, H. K. 2005a. Establishment of an Individual Identification System Based on Microsatellite Polymorphisms in Korean Cattle (Hanwoo). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18, 762-766.
- Yoon, D. H., Park, E. W., Lee, S. H., Oh, S. J., Cheong, I. C. and Hong, K. C. 2005b. Assessment of genetic diversity and relationships between Korean cattle and other cattle breeds by microsatellite loci. Korea. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 47:341-354. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.3.341
- Comparison of the Microsatellite and Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Methods for Discriminating among Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle), Imported, and Crossbred Beef in Korea vol.34, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.6.763