- Volume 51 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Gender-specific Bovine Serum Supplemented Medium on Cell Culture
성별 특이 소 혈청이 세포 배양에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Dong-Mok (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Choi, Moon-Seok (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Woo, Gyung-Il (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Shin, Yu-Mi (Bovine Genome Resources Bank) ;
- Lee, Ki-Ho (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Eulji University) ;
- Cheon, Yong-Pil (Department of Biology, Sungshin Women's University) ;
- Chun, Tae-Hoon (School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University) ;
- Choi, In-Ho (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University)
- 이동목 (영남대학교 생명공학부) ;
- 최문석 (영남대학교 생명공학부) ;
- 우경일 (영남대학교 생명공학부) ;
- 신유미 (소유전체연구소재은행) ;
- 이기호 (을지대학교 생화학교실) ;
- 전용필 (성신여자대학교 생물학과) ;
- 전태훈 (고려대학교 생명과학대학) ;
- 최인호 (영남대학교 생명공학부)
- Received : 2009.09.03
- Accepted : 2009.10.16
- Published : 2009.10.01
The research has been aimed to investigate the effect of different sera including fetal bovine serum (FBS), male bovine serum (MS), female bovine serum (FS), and castrated-male bovine serum (C-MS) on cell proliferation, follicular maturation and ovulation in vitro. Established cell lines and primary cells were cultured in the culture media supplemented with different sera and cells proliferation was observed by cell counting and MTT assay. The results indicated that cell proliferation was significantly different for different serum source. Proliferation of bovine and human myogenic satellite cells was highest in MS. In contrast, proliferation of breast cancer cells and immune cells were the highest in FS and FBS, respectively. There was no difference in the rate of follicular growth, whereas the rate of ovulation was higher in FBS and C-MS. Finally, the wound healing effect and cell proliferation of 3T3-L1 cells showed that wound healing was fastest in FS and cell proliferation was higher in MS. These results suggest the importance of an optimal serum selection in the experiments involving cell culture system, and gender-specific Hanwoo sera may be used as a substitute to FBS.
Bovine serum;Proliferation;MTT assay
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- Appasamy, M., Jauniaux, E., Serhal P., Al-Qahtani, A., Groome, NP. and Muttukrishna, S. 2008. Evaluation of the relationship between follicular fluid oxidative stress, ovarian hormones, and response to gonadotropin stimulation. Fertil Steril. 89:912-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2007.04.034
- Butler, M. 2005. Animal cell cultures: recent achievements and perspectives in the production of biopharmaceuticals. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 68:283-291. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-005-1980-8
- Cappuccino, JG. and Sherman, N. 1987. Microbiology, A laboratory manual, 2nd Ed., 52-80.
- Carrel, A. and Burrows, MT. 1911. Cultivation of tissues in vitro and its technique. J. Exp. Med. 13:387. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.13.3.387
- Chittaranjan, S., McConechy, M., Hou, YC., Freeman, JD., Devorkin, L. and Gorski, SM. 2009. Steroid hormone control of cell death and cell survival: molecular insights using RNAi. PLoS Genet. 5:e1000379. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1000379
- Florini, JR., Ewton, DZ. and Magri, KA. 1991. Hormones, growth factors, and myogenic differentiation. Annu Rev Physiol. 53: 201-216. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ph.53.030191.001221
- Goustin, AS., Leof, EB., Shipley, GD. and Moses, HL. 1986. Growth factors and cancer. Cancer Res. 46:1015-1029.
- Ham, GR. and Mckeeham, WL. 1980. In vitro cell. Decelop.Biol., 14:11.
- Ham, RG. 1965. Clonal growth of mammalian cells in a chemically defined, synthetic medium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 53:288-293. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.53.2.288
- Hu, CL, Cowan, RG., Harman, RM., Porter, DA. and Quirk, SM. 2001. Apoptosis of bovine granulosa cells after serum withdrawal is mediated by Fas antigen (CD95) and Fas ligand. Biol Reprod. 64:518-526. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod64.2.518
- Johnston, S. and Siegel, C. 1990. Comparison of a serum replacement (Omni Serum) and fetal bovine serum in cell cultures used to isolate herpes simplex virus from clinical specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 28:643-645.
- Karre, K., Ljunggren, H. G., Piontek, G. and Kiessling, R. 1986. Selective rejection of H-2-deficient lymphoma variants suggests alternative immune defence strategy. Nature 319:675-678. https://doi.org/10.1038/319675a0
- Kim, KJ., Kanellopoulos-Langevin, C., Merwin, RM., Sachs, DH. and Asofsky, R. 1979. Establishment and characterization of BALB/c lymphoma lines with B cell properties. J Immunol. 122:549-554.
- Matsuzaki, G., Yoshikai, Y., Kishihara, K., Nomoto, K., Yokokura, T. and Nomoto, K. 1988. Age-associated increase in the expression of T cell antigen receptor gamma chain genes in mice. Eur J Immunol. 18:1779-1784. https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.1830181119
- Miyata, K., Murao, M., Sawa, M. and Tanishima, T. 1990. New wound-healing model using cultured corneal endothelial cells. 1. Quantitative study of healing process. Jpn J. Ophthalmol. 34:257-266.
- Mosmann, T. 1983. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods. 65:55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Nijweide, PJ. and Burger, EH. 1990. Mechanisms of bone formation in vitro. In The osteoblast (Ed. B. K. Hall), Telford Press, Caldwell, New Jersey. 1:303.
- Roncari, DA. and Van RL. 1978. Promotion of human adipocyte precursor replication by 17beta-estradiol in culture. J Clin Invest. 62:503-508. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI109153
- Shahani, S. 2003. The dynamic media, sera and reagent market in the cell culture industry. BCC Research. Report Code:BIO014D.
- Skottman, H. and Hovatta, O. 2006. Culture conditions for human embryonic stem cells. Reproduction. 132:691-698. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.1.01079
- Sporn, MB., Roberts, AB., Wakefield, LM. and de Crombrugghe, B. 1987. Some recent advances in the chemistry and biology of transforming growth factor-beta. J. Cell Biol. 105:1039. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.105.3.1039
- Weiss, A., Wiskocil, RL. and Stobo, JD. 1984. The role of T3 surface molecules in the activation of human T cells: a two-stimulus requirement for IL 2 production reflects events occurring at a pre-translational level. J Immunol. 133:123-128.
- Wycherley, G., Downey, D., Kane, MT. and Hynes, AC. 2004.A novel follicle culture system markedly increases follicle volume, cell number and oestradiol secretion. Reproduction. 127:669-677. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.1.00040
- 김혜림, 이기호, 최인호, 정정수. 2007. 스테로이드 성호르몬 이 돼지 지방전구 세포의 분화에 미치는 영향. 한국동물자원과학회지. 49:593-598.
- 박기상, 김주환, 이택후, 송해범, 전상식. 2001. 호르몬 무첨가 배양액에서 생쥐 Pre-antral Follicles의 체외 성장과 난포강 형성. 대한불임학회지 28:79-86.
- 박형배, 조경숙, 백청순, 김재명, 이선경, 서병희, 이재현. 1991. 체외수정시 난포액 내 Steroid 호르몬 동태에 관한 연구. 대한산부인과학회지. 34:537-554.
- 선상수, 명규호 2000. 한우와 홀스타인 비육우의 근육 위성세포 Cloning 및 배양. 한국동물자원과학회. 42:787-794.
- Effects of gender-specific adult bovine serum on myogenic satellite cell proliferation, differentiation and lipid accumulation vol.47, pp.7, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11626-011-9427-2
- Assessing Biological Safety of the Hanwoo Serum Obtained During Slaughtering Process vol.54, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.1.59
- Effect of Gender-Specific Adult Bovine Serum on Gene Expression During Myogenesis vol.54, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.3.219