- Volume 51 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Karyotype of Jeju Horse; G-, C- and NOR-banding
제주재래마의 핵형분석; G-, C- 및 NOR-banding
- Park, Jin-Sik (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Jinju National University) ;
- Cho, Byung-Wook (Department of Animal Science, Pusan National University) ;
- Sohn, Sea-Hwan (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Jinju National University)
- Received : 2009.09.22
- Accepted : 2009.10.21
- Published : 2009.10.01
This study was carried out to establish the standard karyotype of Jeju horse by G-, C- and AgNOR-banding patterns. Blood samples were collected from 37 Jeju horses and 24 Thoroughbred that had been raised at the National Institute of Subtropical Agriculture in Jeju. The lymphocytes were cultured in vitro and then chromosomes prepared. The diploid chromosome number of Jeju horse is 64, which consists of 31 pairs of autosomes and X, Y sex chromosomes. The Jeju horse has 13 pairs of metacentric/submetacentric and 18 pairs of acrocentric autosomes. The X chromosome is the fifth largest submetacentric, while the Y chromosome is one of the smallest acrocentric chromosomes. The G-banding pattern of Jeju horse chromosomes showed a light band at centromeres in all autosomes, and also exhibited a typical and identical banding pattern in each homologous chromosome. Overall chromosomal morphology and positions of typical landmarks of the Jeju horse were virtually identical to those of International Committee for the Standardization of the Domestic Horse Karyotype. C-bands of Jeju horse chromosomes appeared on centromeres of almost all autosomes, but chromosome 8 showed a heterochromatin heteromorphism. The NORs in Jeju horse chromosomes showed polymorphic patterns within breed, individuals and cells. By the AgNOR staining, the NORs were located at the terminal of p-arm on chromosome 1 and near centromeres on the chromosome 26 and 31. The mean number of NORs per metaphase was 4.68 in Jeju horse.
Supported by : 진주산업대학교
- Power, M. M. 1988. Y chromosome length variation and its significance in the horse. Journal of Heredity 79:311-313.
- Benirschke, K., Brownhill, L. E. and Beath, M. M. 1962. Somatic chromosomes of the horse, the donkey and their hybrids the mule and the hinny. J. Reprod. Fertil. 4:319-326. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0040319
- Bloom, S. E. and Goodpasture, C. 1976. An improved technique or selective silver staining of nucleolar organizer region in human chromosomes. Humangenetik 34:199-206. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00278889
- Bowling, A. T., Breen, M., Chowdhary, B. P., Hirota, K., Lear, T., Millon, L. V., Ponce de Leon, F. A., Raudsepp, T. and Stranzinger, G. 1997. International system for cytogenetic nomenclature of the domestic horse. Chromosome Res 5: 433-443. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018408811881
- Buckland, R. A., Fletcher, J. M. and Chandley, A. C. 1976. Characterization of the domestic horse (Eqqus Caballus) karyotype using G-, and C-banding techniques. Experientia 32:1146-1149. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01927593
- Burkholder, G. D. and Duczek, L. L. 1980. Proteins in chromosome banding. Chromosoma 79:29-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00328470
- Christensen, K. and Smedegard, K. 1978. Chromosome markers in domestic pigs. C-band polymorphism. Hereditas 88:269-272. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5223.1978.tb01629.x
- Comings, D. E. 1978. Mechanisms of chromosome banding and implications for chromosome structure. Ann Rev Genet 12:25-46. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ge.12.120178.000325
- Comings, D. E., Avelino, E., Okada, T. A. and Wyandt, H. E. 1973. The mechanism of C-and G-banding of chromosomes. Exptl. Cell Res. 77:469-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(73)90601-0
- Craig-Holmes, A. P. and Shaw, M. W. 1971. Polymorphism of human constitutive heterochromatin. Science 174:702-704. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.174.4010.702
- Di Berardino, D., Iannuzzi, L., Bettini, T. M, and Matassino, D. 1981. Ag-NORs variation banding homologies in two species of bovidae: Bubalus bubalis and Bos taurus. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 23:89-99. https://doi.org/10.1139/g81-011
- Ford, C. E., Pollock, D. L. and Gustavsson, I. 1980. Proceeding of the first international conference for the standardization of banded karyotypes of domestic animals. Hereditas 92:145-162. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5223.1980.tb01688.x
- Forejt, J. 1973. Centromeric heterochromatin polymorphism in the horse mouse; evidence from inbred strains and natural population. chromosoma 43:187-201. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00483378
- Harrison, C. J., Britch, M., Allen, T. D. and Herris, R. 1981. Scaning electron microscopy of the G-banded human karyotype. Exptl Cell Res 134:141-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(81)90471-7
Holmquist, G. 1979. The mechanism of C-banding depurination and
$\beta$-elimination. Chromosoma 72:203-224. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00293235
- Kim, G. O. and Oh, M. Y. 1995. Polymorphism of plasma protein by two dimensional horizontal electrophoresis in Cheju native horse. Kor J Anim Sci 37(6):603-610.
- Kim, K. I., Yang, Y. H., Lee, S. S., Park, C., Ma, R., Bouzat, J. L. and Lewin, H. A. 1999. Polygenetic relationships of Cheju horses to other horse breeds as determined by mtDNA D-loop sequence polymorphism. Animal Genet 30:102- 108. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1999.00419.x
- Lee, K. M. 1961. Biostatistic study on the type of the Cheju horse in Quelport. Kor J Anim Sci 3:63-73.
- Levan, A., Fredga, K. and Sandberg, A. A. 1964. Nomenclature for centromeric position on chromosomes. Hereditas 52:201-220. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5223.1964.tb01953.x
- Makino, S. 1942. The chromosomes of the horse (Equus caballus). Cytologia 13:26-38.
- Mayr, B. and Czaker, R. 1981. Variable position of nucleolus organizer regions in Bovidae. Experientia 37:564-565. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01990050
- Mayr, B., Gruber, K., Brem, G. and Mayrhofer, G. 1989. Genetic studies on nucleolus organizer regions (NORs) in cattle. Genet. Res. 53:111-118. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0016672300027993
- Mayr, B., Schleger, W. and Auer, H. 1987. Frequency of Ag-stained nucleolus organizer regions in the chromosomes of cattle. Journal of Heredity 78:206-207. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jhered.a110360
- Oh, M. Y., Ko, M. H., Kim, G. O., Kim, S. J., Chung, C. C. and Kim, K. I. 1992. Genetic variations of the blood proteins in Cheju native horses. Kor J Genet 14(1):39-50.
- Power, M. M. 1990. Chromosomes of the Horse. Advances in Veterinary Science and Comparative Medicine 34:131-167.
- Richer, C. L., Power, M. M. and Klunder, L. R. 1990. Standard karyotype of the domestic horse (Equus caballus). Hereditas 112:289-293. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5223.1990.tb00069.x
- Romagnano, A., Richer, C. L., Messier, P. E. and Jean, P. 1987. Light and electron microscopy of Ag-NORs in domestic horse chromosoemes identified after R-banding. Cytobios 49 (196):23-30.
- Rothfels, K. H., Alexrad, A. A., Siminovitch, L. et al. 1959. The origin of altered cell lines from mouse, monkey and man, as indicated by chromosome and transplantation studies. Proc Can Cancer Res Conf 3: 189-214.
- Shin, J. A., Kim, S. H., Kim, Y. H., Chun, C. I. and Lee, K. K. 1999. Genetic polymorphism of serum protein in horses on Cheju. J Research Institute for Animal Biotechnology 14:149-157.
- Sohn, S. H., Fechheimer, N. S. and Nestor, K. E. 1995. Transmission of C-band variants in Japanese quail. Asian-Australasian J. Anim. Sci. 8:171-174. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1995.171
- Trujillo, J. M., Stenius, C. and Christian, K. 1962. Chromosomes of the horse, donkey and the mule. Chromosoma 13:243-248. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00577041
- Yang, Y. H., Chang, C. C., Lee, H. J. and Kang, T. S. 1991. Studies on the classification for the registration of the Cheju native horse. II. The effect of the registration grade on the body measurements of Cheju native horse. Kor J Anim Sci 33(6):438-443.
- Yang, Y. H., Kim, J. and Cho, D. J. 1996. Estimation of the growth performance of Cheju native horse in Cheju island. J Research Institute for Animal Biotechnology 11:9-28.
- Zurita, F., Jimenez, R., Burgos, M. and Diaz del la, G. R. 1998. Sequential silver staining and in situ hybridization reveal a direct association between rDNA levels and the expression of homologous nucleolar organizing regions, a hypothesis for NOR structure and function. J. Cell Sci. 111:1433-1439.
- 김남영, 이성수, 양영훈. 2002. 제주마 Transferrin Gene Exon 13, 15 및 16의 다형현상. 한국동물자원과학회지 44(4):391-398.
- 백규흠, 이철영, 상병돈, 최철환, 김학규, 손시환. 2003. 한국재래계의 염색체 분염표지 분석. 동물자원학회지 45(1):1-12.
- 손시환, 정구민. 1994. 혈액세포를 이용한 염색체 분리분석에 관한 방법적 고찰. 대한불임학회지 21:207-214.
- 손시환, 조은정, 박진식. 2006. 제주마의 염색체 양상과 핵형 분석. 진주산업대 농업기술연구소보 19:61-69.
- 손시환. 1990. 일본산메추리(Coturnix coturnix Japonica)의 염색체 다형현상. 한국가금학회지 17(4):275-280.
- 오봉국, 여정수, 손시환, 홍영호. 1991. 한우 염색체의 Constitutive Heterochromatin Banding 양상. 한국축산학회지 33:359-369.
- 임성인. 2002. 제주재래마와 제주산마의 초성위체(microsatellite) 다형성분석. 제주대학교 석사학위논문.
- 정창조, 양영훈, 김중계, 강민수. 1991. 제주 재래마 혈통정립 및 혈통등록을 위한 조사연구. 1. 제주마의 지역별, 성별, 년령별 체형측정치. 한축지 33(6):418-422.