- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study on Joint Decision Making and Business Performance between Corporations
기업 간 의사결정 협력과 업무 성과에 관한 연구
- Received : 2009.03.17
- Accepted : 2009.07.14
- Published : 2009.09.01
In today's e-business environment, it is important to make decisions cooperatively between companies on a supply chain for their business success. This research analyzes empirically the influences of organizational factors on joint decision making and the ones of the joint decision making on business performance. We collected 188 corporate-level data through a Web survey and tested them statistically through PLS method based on a structured equation modeling. The results showed that (i) partner's knowledge creation capabilities, inter-organizational process modularity, and inter-organizational trust had direct effects on joint decision making, (ii) joint decision making and electronic business interfaces bad direct impacts on business performance. Contrary to our expectation, however, the moderating effects of electronic business interfaces between corporations on the relationship between joint decision making and business performance was not significant. On the basis of these results, we discussed theoretical and managerial implications of the findings. The results are expected to provide useful perspectives when companies establish strategies to improve capabilities of cooperative decision making and business performance.
- 김기문, "정보기술 능력이 기업 성과에 미치는 영향 관계," 정보시스템연구, 제15권, 제2호, 2006, pp. 195-226.
- 서창수, 김철수, "구매자-공급자간의 상호신뢰가 협업과 공급사슬 성과에 미치는 영향：이동통신산업을 중심으로," 경영과학, 제25권, 제1호, 2008, pp. 11-27.
- 서창적, 김영택, 윤영진, "정보품질과 협업이 SCM성과 및 기업 성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 한국생산관리학회지, 제15권, 제2호, 2004, pp. 3-22.
- 이영찬, "사회적 자본, 지식경영, 그리고 조직성과 간의 인과관계," 정보시스템연구, 제16권, 제4호, 2007, pp. 223-241.
- 전기정, "그룹 의사결정지원 시스템을 이용한 공동목표의식의 배양: 부서간 이해차이의 전략적 조정을 통한 조직시너지 효과의 향상," 경영정보학연구, 제2권, 제2호, 1992, pp.31-54. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2575.1992.tb00065.x
- 정인근, 윤종옥, 서원옥, "우리나라에서의 집단 의사결정의 특성에 관한 탐색적 연구," 경영정보학연구, 제4권, 제1호, 1994, pp.74-114.
- 조남재, 윤재환, 정진관, "공급자-구매자 조직간 특성과 EDI 활용수준이 SCM 성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 정보시스템 연구, 제16권, 제4호, 2007, pp. 33-49.
- Turban, E., Leidner, D., Mclean, E. and Wetherbe, J.(Trans. 임규건, 김진화, 백승익, 서보밀, 서우종), 경영을 위한 정 보기술, 서울시, (주)교보문고, 2007.
- Anderson, E. and Weitz, B., "The Use of Pledges to Build and Sustain Commitment in Distribution Channels," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 29, No. 1, 1992, pp. 18-24. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172490
- Bailey, K. and Francis, M., "Managing Information Flows for Improved Value Chain Performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 111, No. 1, 2008, pp. 2-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2006.11.017
- Banker, R. D., Kauffman, R. J., and Morey, R. C., "Measuring Gains in Operational Efficiency from Information Technology: A Study of the Positran Deployment at Hardee's Inc.," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 7, No. 2, 1990, pp. 29-54. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1990.11517888
- Barua, A., Lee, C. H. S., and Whinston, A. B., "The Calculus of Reengineering," Information Systems Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1996, pp. 409-428. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.7.4.409
- Barua, A. and Mukhopadhyay, T., "Information Tecnology and Business Performance: Past, Present, and Future," in Zmud, B. (ed.), Framing the Domains of It Management, Pinn Flex, 2000, pp. 65-84.
- Bensaou, M. and Venkatraman, N., "Configurations of Interorganizational Relationships: A Comparison between U.S. and Japanese Automakers", Management Science, Vol. 41, No. 9, 1995, pp. 1471-1492. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.41.9.1471
- Bharadwaj, S., Bharadwaj, A. and Bendoly, E., "The Performance Effects of Complementarities between Information Systems, Marketing, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain Processes," Information Systems Research, Vol. 18, No. 4, 2007, pp. 437-453. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0148
- Biehl, M., Cook, W., and Johnston, D. A., "The efficiency of joint decision making in buyer-supplier relationships," Annual Operations Research, Vol. 145, 2006, pp. 15-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-006-0023-x
- Borgatti, S.P. and Cross, R., "A Relational View of Information Seeking and Learning in Social Networks," Management Science, Vol. 49, No. 4, 2003, pp. 432-445. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.4.432.14428
- Brynjolfsson, E. and Hitt, L. M., "Beyond the Productivity Paradox," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 41, No. 8, 1998, pp. 49-55.
- Brynjolfsson, E. and Hitt, L. M., "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2000, pp. 23-48. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.14.4.23
- Chin, W. W., Marcolin, B. L., and Newsted, P. R., "A partial least squares latent variable modeling approach for measuring interaction effects: Results from a Monte Carlo simulation study and an electronic-mail emotion/adoption study," Information Systems Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2003, pp. 189-217. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.126.96.36.19918
- Clark, K. B., "Project Scope and Project Performance: The Effects of Parts Strategy and Supplier Involvement on Product Development," Management Science, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1989, pp. 1237-1263.
- Claro, D. P., Claro, P. B. D. O. and Hagelaar, G., "Coordinating Collaborative Joint Efforts with Suppliers: The Effects of Trust, Transaction Specific Investment and Information Network in the Dutch Flower Industry," Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 11, No. 3, 2006, pp. 216-224. https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540610662112
- Cohen, W.M. and Levinthal, D.A., "Absorptive Capacity: A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 35, No. 1, 1990, pp. 128-152. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393553
- Cooper, D. J., Goldby, T. J., and Clinton, S. R., "Information Technology influences on world class logistics capability," International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol. 27, No. 1, 1997, pp. 4-17. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600039710162259
- DiMaggio, P. J. and Powell, W. W., "The Iron Case Revisited: Intuitional Isomorphism and Collective Rationality in Organizational Fields," American Sociological Review, Vol. 48, 1983, pp. 147-160. https://doi.org/10.2307/2095101
- Frazier, G. L., Jaworski, B. J., Kohli, A. K., and Weitz, B. A., "Buyer-Supplier Relational Characteristics and Joint Decision Making," Marketing Letters, Vol. 5, No. 3, 1994, pp. 259-270. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00993905
- Gefen, D., Straub, D. W., and Boudreau, M.-C. , "Structural equation modelling and regression: Guidelines for research practice," Communications of the AIS, Vol. 4, No. 7, 2000, pp. 1-79.
- Gosain, S., Malhotra, A., El Sawy, O. A., and Chehade, F., "Towards Frictionless e-Business: The Impact of Common Electronic Business Interfaces," Communication of the ACM, Vol. 46, No. 12, 2003, pp. 186-195. https://doi.org/10.1145/953460.953499
- Grant, R. M., "Toward a Knowledge Based Theory of the Firm," Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 17, No. Special Issue: Knowledge and the Firm, 1996, pp. 109-122. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199602)17:2<109::AID-SMJ796>3.0.CO;2-P
- Grant, R.M. and Baden-Fuller, C., "A Knowledge Accessing Theory of Strategic Alliances," Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 41, No. 1, 2004, pp. 61-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2004.00421.x
- Gulati, R. and Sytch, M., "Dependence Asymmetry and Joint Dependence in Interorganizational Relationships: Effects of Embeddedness on a Manufacturer's Performance in Procurement Relationships," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 1, 2007, pp. 32-69. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.52.1.32
- Hitt, L.M. and Brynjolfsson, E., "Information Technology and Internal Firm Organization: An Exploratory Analysis," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 14, No. 2, 1997, pp. 81-101. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1997.11518166
- Howard, M. and Squire, B., "Modularization and the Impact on Supply Relationships," International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 27, No. 11, 2007, pp. 1192-1212. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443570710830593
- Jacobs, M., Vickery, S. K. and Droge, C., "The Effects of Product Modularity on Competitive Performance: Do Integration Strategies Mediate the Relationship?," International Journal of Operation & Production Management, Vol. 27, No. 10, 2007, pp. 1046-1068. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443570710820620
- Jorde, T. M. and Teece, D. J., "Competition and Cooperation: Striking the Right Balance," California Management Review, Vol. 31, No. 3, 1989, pp. 25-37. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166568
- Joshi, A. W. and Stump, R. L., "The Contingent Effect of Specific Asset Investments on Joint Action in Manufacturer-Supplier Relationships: An Empirical Test of the Moderating Role of Reciprocal Asset Investments, Uncertainty, and Trust," Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 27, No. 3, 1999, pp. 291-305. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070399273001
- Kumar, S. and Craig, S., "Dell, Inc.'s Closed Loop Supply Chain for Computer Assembly Plants," Information Knowledge Systems Management, Vol. 6, No. 3, 2007, pp. 197-214.
- Larsson, R., Bengtsson, L., Henriksson, K., and Sparks, J., "The Interorganizational Learning Dilemma: Collective Knowledge Development in Strategic Alliances," Organization Science, Vol. 9, No. 3, 1998, pp. 285-305. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.9.3.285
- Lee, C. H. S., Barua, A., and Whinston, A. B., "The Complementarity of Mass Customization and Electronic Commerce," Economics of Innovation & New Technology, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2000, pp. 81-109. https://doi.org/10.1080/10438590000000005
- Majchrzak, A., Rice, R. E., Malhotra, A., King, N., and Ba, S., "Technology Adaptation: The Case of Computer Supported Inter-Organizational Virtual Team," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2000, pp. 569-600. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250948
- Malhotra, A., Gosain, S., and El Sawy, O. A., "Absorptive Capacity Configurations in Supply Chains: Gearing for Partner- Enabled Market Knowledge Creation," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2005, pp. 145-187.
- Min, S., Roath, A. S., Daugherty, P. J., Genchev, S. E., Chen, H., Arndt, A. D. and Richey, R. G., "Supply Chain Collaboration: What's happening?," The International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2005, pp. 237-256. https://doi.org/10.1108/09574090510634539
- Mooney, J. G., Gurbaxzni, V., and Kraemer, K. L., "A Process Oriented Framework for Assessing the Business Value of Information Technology," The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, 1996, pp. 68-81. https://doi.org/10.1145/243350.243363
- Morgan, R. M. and Hunt, S. D., "The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, No. 3, 1994, pp. 20-38.
- Murray, S. R. and Peyrefitte, J., "Knowledge Type and Communication Media Choice in the Knowledge Transfer Process," Journal of Management Issues, Vol. 19, No. 1, 2007, pp. 111-133.
- Nonaka, I. and Takeuchi, H., The Knowledge-Creating Company, New York: Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Premkumar, G. P., "Interorganization Systems and Supply Chain Management: An Information Processing Perspective," Supply Chain Management, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2000, pp. 56-69.
- Rai, A., Patnayakuni, R. and Seth, N., "Firm Performance Impacts of Digitally Enabled Supply Chain Integration Capabilities," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2006, pp. 225-246.
- Richard, P. J. and Devinney, T. M., "Modular Strategies: B2B Technology and Architectural Knowledge," California Management Review, Vol. 47, No. 4, 2005, pp. 86-113. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166318
- Ro, Y. K., Liker, J. K. and Fixson, S. K., "Modularity as a Strategy for Supply Chain Coordination: The Case of U.S. Auto," IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT, Vol. 54, No. 1, 2007, pp. 172-189. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2006.889075
- Sanchez, R., and Mahoney, J. T., "Modularity, Flexibility, and Knowledge Management in Product and Organization Design," Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 17, No. Special Issue: Knowledge and the Firm, 1996, pp. 63-76. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250171107
- Smith, J. B. and Barclay, D. W., "The Effects of Organizational Differences and Trust on the Effectiveness of Selling Partner Relationships," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 61, No. 1, 1997, pp. 3-21. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252186
- Song, M. and Di Benedetto, C. A., "Supplier's Involvement and Success of Radical New Product Development in New Ventures," Journal of Operation Management, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2008, pp. 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.06.001
- Stuart, T. E., "Network Positions and Propensities to Collaborate: An Investigation of Strategic Alliance Formation in a High-Tech Industry," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 43, No. 3, 1998, pp. 668-698. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393679
- Tippins, M. and Sohi, R., "IT Competency and Firm Performance: Is Organizational Learning a Missing Link?" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 24, No. 8, 2003, pp. 745-761. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.337
- Vachon, S. and Klassen, R. D., "Environmental Management and Manufacturing Performance: The Role of Collaboration in the Supply Chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 111, No. 2, 2008, pp. 299-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2006.11.030
- Wu, F., Yeniyurt, S., Kim, D. and Cavusgil, S. T., "The Impact of Information Technology on Supply Chain Capabilities and Firm Performance: A Resource-Based View," Industrial Marketing Journal, Vol. 35, No. 4, 2006, pp. 493-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.05.003
- Relationship of Information Technology User Personality, Security and Control vol.19, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2010.19.3.001
- A Negotiation Method Based on Opportunity Cost in the Trucking Cargo Transportation Market vol.21, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2012.21.3.99
- The Effect of the Project Managers' IT Competency and Managerial Competency on the Success of SI Projects : Focusing on the Moderating Effect of Project Size vol.21, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2012.21.4.31