- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Failure analysis of reinforced concrete frames with short column effect
- Caglar, Naci (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Sakarya) ;
- Mutlu, Mahir (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Sakarya)
- Received : 2008.12.04
- Accepted : 2009.08.24
- Published : 2009.10.25
Short column effect is cause to failure of columns which may result in severe damages or even collapse during earthquakes. The scope of the study is mainly to reveal the effect of short column on the holistic behaviour of the buildings. The nonlinear analysis of 31 different frame buildings containing short column problem are carried out using finite element method. The finite element models were selected by 2 bays and 3 stories. Since the short columns are generally seen in the first storey of the buildings, in the study, they are only constructed in the same storey. The adverse effect of the short column on the response of buildings was shown in terms of the total load factor and displacement capacity of building. The response of buildings in terms of ground storey displacements is presented in figures and discussed. It is revealed that if the window openings are constructed along the bays, the total load capacity is decreased 85% compared with reference model in which all of bays are filled with infill walls.
- Arslan, M.H. and Korkmaz, H.H. (2007), "What is to be learned from damage and failure of reinforced concrete structures during recent earthquakes in Turkey?", Eng. Fail. Anal., 14, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2006.01.003
- Dagangun, A. (2004), "Performance of reinforced concrete buildings during the May 1, 2003 Bingol Earthquake in Turkey", Eng. Struct., 26, 841-856. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.02.005
- Cagatay, I. (2005), "Failure of an industrial building during a recent earthquake in Turkey", Eng. Fail. Anal. 12(4), 497-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2004.09.004
- Guevara, L.T. and García, L.E. (2005), "The captive- and short-column effects", Earthq. Spectra, 21(1), 141-160. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1856533
- Nikos, D., Lagaros, N.D. and Geraki, M.A. (2008), "The effects of construction practices on the seismic performance of RC frames with masonry infills", Struct. Eng. Mech., 28(1), 69-88. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.28.1.069
- Negro, P. and Verzeletti, G. (1996), "Effect of infills on the global behaviour of R/C frames: Energy considerations from pseudodynamic tests", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 25(8), 753-773. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199608)25:8<753::AID-EQE578>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Tegos, I. and Penelis, G.G. (1988), "Seismic resistance of short columns and coupling beams reinforced with inclined bars", ACI Struct. J., 85(1), 272-283.
- LUSAS (2006), Finite element system examples manual (version 13.6), FEA Ltd., U.K.
- Erdik, M., Demircioglu, M., Beyen, K., Sesetyan, K., Aydinoglu, N., Gul, M., Siyahi, B., Onem, G., Tuzun, C., Salkon, A. and Kaya, Y. (2003), May 01, 2003 Bingol (Turkey) Earthquake, Department of Earthquake Engineering, Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Bogazici University, Istanbul.
- Ersoy, U. amd Ozcebe, G. (2001), Reinforced concrete, Evrim YayInevi, Istanbul.
- Investigation of short column effect of RC buildings: failure and prevention vol.7, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2010.7.6.523
- Experimental behavior and shear bearing capacity calculation of RC columns with a vertical splitting failure vol.9, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.6.1233