- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental and analytical studies on one-way concrete slabs reinforced with GFRP molded gratings
- Mehrdad, Shokrieh Mahmood (Composites Research Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST)) ;
- Mohammad, Heidari-Rarani (Composites Research Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST))
- Received : 2009.08.28
- Accepted : 2009.11.25
- Published : 2009.11.25
Corrosion of steel rebars in bridge decks which are faced to harsh conditions, is a common problem in construction industries due to the porosity of concrete. In this research, the behavior of one-way concrete slabs reinforced with Glass fiber reinforced polymer (GFRP) molded grating is investigated both theoretically and experimentally. In the analytical method, a closed-form solution for load-deflection behavior of a slab under four-point bending condition is developed by considering a concrete slab as an orthotropic plate and defining stiffness coefficients in principal directions. The available formulation for concrete reinforced with steel is expanded for concrete reinforced with GFRP molded grating to predict ultimate failure load. In finite element modeling, an exact nonlinear behavior of concrete along with a 3-D failure criterion for cracking and crushing are considered in order to estimate the ultimate failure load and the initial cracking load. Eight concrete slabs reinforced with steel and GFRP grating in various thicknesses are also tested to verify the results. The obtained results from the models and experiments are relatively satisfactory.
concrete slab;molded grating;FEM;analytical solution;experiment
- ACI 318-99 (1999), Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- ANSYS User's Manual Revision 10 (2003), ANSYS Inc., Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.
- Bank, L.C., Xi, Z. and Muley, E. (1992), "Tests of Full-Size Pultruded FRP Grating Reinforced Concrete Bridge Decks", Conf. Proc. of ASCE-Materials Engineering congress, New York, 618-631.
- Bank, L.C., Frosting, Y. and Shapira, A. (1997), "Three-Dimensional FRP Grating Cages for Concrete Beams", ACI Struct. J., 94(6), 643-652.
- Bank, L.C. and Xi, Z. (1993), "Pultruded FRP Grating Reinforced Concrete Slabs", In Fiber-Reinforced-Plastic for Concrete Structures-Int. Symposium, SP-138, American Concrete Institute, 561-583.
- Biddah, A. (2006), "Structural Reinforcement of Bridge Decks Using Pultruded GFRP Grating", Compos. Struct., 74(1), 80-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.03.016
- Capozucca, R. (2007), "Analysis of the Experimental Flexural Behavior of a Concrete Beam Grid Reinforced With CFRP Bars", Compos. Struct., 79(4), 517-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.02.011
- Chen, W.F. (1992), Plasticity in Reinforced Concrete, McGraw-Hill, USA.
- Ehab, E., Brahim, B., Amr, E. and Dominique, N. (2005), "Field Investigation on the First Bridge Deck Slab Reinforced with Glass FRP Bars Constructed in Canada", J. Compos. Constr., 9(6), 470-479. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2005)9:6(470)
- Eldib, M.E.A.H., Maaly, H.M., Beshay, A.W. and Tolba, M.T. (2008), "Modeling and analysis of two-way composite slabs", J. Constr. Steel Res., 9(5), 1236-1248.
- Fibergrate website (2006), www.fibergrate.com.
- Hall, J.E. and Mottram, J.T. (1998), "Combined FRP Reinforced and Permanent Formwork for Concrete Members", J. Compos. Constr., 2(2), 78-86. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(1998)2:2(78)
- Huybrechts, S. and Tsai, S.W. (1996), "Analysis and Behavior of Grid Structures", Compos. Sci. Technol., 56(9), 1001-1015. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-3538(96)00063-2
- Kachlakev, D. and Millaer, T. (2001), "Finite Element Modeling of Reinforced Concrete Structures Strengthened with FRP Laminates", Report for Federal Highway Administration, Washington, 5-23.
- Macginley, T.J. and Choo, B.S. (1990), Reinforced Concrete: Design Theory and Examples, Taylor & Francis, London.
- Tavarez, F.A., Bank, L.C. and Plesha, M.E. (2003), "Analysis of Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composite Grid Reinforced Concrete Beams", ACI Struct. J., 100(2), 250-258.
- Tsai, S.W. and Hahn, H.T. (1980), Introduction to Composite Materials, Technomic Publishing Co., Westport.
- Ugural, A.C. (1981), Stresses in Plates and Shells, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Wegian, F.M. and Abdalla, H.A. (2005), "Shear Capacity of Concrete Beams Reinforced with Fiber Reinforced Polymers", Compos. Struct., 71(1), 130-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.10.001
- Effect of Bolt-Hole Clearance on Bolted Connection Behavior for Pultruded Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Structural Plastic Members vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8745405
- Experimental study on flexural behavior of splicing concrete-filled GFRP tubular composite members connected with steel bars vol.18, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.5.1129