- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Stochastic finite element analysis of structural systems with partially restrained connections subjected to seismic loads
- Cavdar, Ozlem (Gumushane University, Department of Civil Engineering) ;
- Bayraktar, Alemdar (Karadeniz Technical University, Department of Civil Engineering) ;
- Cavdar, Ahmet (Gumushane University, Department of Civil Engineering) ;
- Kartal, Murat Emre (Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Department of Civil Engineering)
- Received : 2009.02.21
- Accepted : 2009.10.13
- Published : 2009.11.25
The present paper investigates the stochastic seismic responses of steel structure systems with Partially Restrained (PR) connections by using Perturbation based Stochastic Finite Element (PSFEM) method. A stiffness matrix formulation of steel systems with PR connections and PSFEM and MCS formulations of structural systems are given. Based on the formulations, a computer program in FORTRAN language has been developed, and stochastic seismic analyses of steel frame and bridge systems have been performed for different types of connections. The connection parameters, material and geometrical properties are assumed to be random variables in the analyses. The Kocaeli earthquake occurred in 1999 is considered as a ground motion. The connection parameters, material and geometrical properties are considered to be random variables. The efficiency and accuracy of the proposed SFEM algorithm are validated by comparison with results of Monte Carlo simulation (MCS) method.
perturbation based stochastic finite element method;steel structures;PR connections;stiffness matrix;Monte Carlo simulation;stochastic dynamic analysis
- Ang, K.M. and Morris, G.A. (1984), "Analysis of three-dimensional frame with flexible beam-column connection", Can. J. Civil Eng., 11, 241-54.
- Cabrero, J.M. and Bayo, E. (2005), "Development of practical design methods for steel structures with semirigid connections", Eng. Struct., 27(8), 1125-1137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.017
- Chen, W.F. and Lui, E.M. (1991), Stability Design of Steel Frames, CRC Press Inc, New York.
- Chen, W.F., Goto, Y. and Liew, J.Y.R. (1996), Stability Design of Semi-Rigid Frames, Wiley, New York.
- Cavdar, O. (2009), "The determination of seismic behavior of the systems connected semi rigidly and constituted of composite sections with stochastic finite element method", Ph.D. Thesis, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey, (in Turkish).
- Gao, L. and Haldar, A. (1995), "Safety evaluation of frames with PR connections", J. Struct. Eng., 121(7), 1101-1118. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:7(1101)
- Hadianfard, M.A. and Razani, R. (2003), "Effects of semi-rigid behavior of connections in the reliability of steel frames", Struct. Saf., 25(2), 123-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(02)00046-2
- Kishi, N. and Chen, W.F. (1990), "Moment-rotation relations of semi rigid connections with angles", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 116(7), 1813-1833. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:7(1813)
- Kleiber, M. and Hien, T. (1992), The Stochastic Finite Element Method Basic Perturbation Technique, John Wiley and Sons, New York, USA.
- Liu, Y. and Xu, L. (2005), "Storey-based stability analysis of multi-storey unbraced frames", Struct. Eng. Mech., 19(6), 679-705. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.19.6.679
- McGuire, W., Gallagher, R.H. and Ziemian, R.D. (1999), Matrix Structural Analysis, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., USA.
- Melchers, R.E. (1999), Structural Reliability Analysis and Prediction, Second Edition, Wiley, New York.
- Monforton, G.R. and Wu, T.S. (1963), "Matrix analysis of semi-rigidly connected frames", J. Struct. Div. ASCE, 89(ST6), 13-42.
- Nader, M.N. and Astaneh-Asl, A. (1991), "Dynamic behavior of flexible semi-rigid and rigid steel frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 18(4), 179-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(91)90024-U
- PEER (Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Centre), (2007), http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/data.
- Sakurai, S., Ellingwood, B.R. and Kushiyama, S. (2001), "Probabilistic study of the behavior of steel frames with partially restrained connections", Eng. Struct., 23, 1410-1417. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00052-9
- Sekulovic, M., Salatic, R. and Nefovska, M. (2002), "Dynamic analysis of steel frames with flexible connections", Comput. Struct., 80, 935-955. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(02)00058-5
- Suarez, L.E., Singh, M.P. and Matheu, E.E. (1996), "Seismic response of structural frameworks with flexible connections", Comput. Struct., 58(1), 27-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(95)00108-S
- Cavdar, O., Bayraktar, A., Cavdar, A. and Adanur, S. (2008), "Perturbation based stochastic finite element analysis of the structural systems with composite sections under earthquake forces", Steel. Compos. Struct., 8(2), 129-144. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2008.8.2.129
- Stochastic finite element analysis of a cable-stayed bridge system with varying material properties vol.25, pp.2, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2010.01.008
- Experimental evaluation on the seismic performance of steel knee braced frame structures with energy dissipation mechanism vol.11, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.1.077