- Volume 9 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Iterative neural network strategy for static model identification of an FRP deck
- Kim, Dookie (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Kim, Dong Hyawn (Department of Coastal Construction Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Cui, Jintao (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Seo, Hyeong Yeol (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Lee, Young Ho (Structure Research Department, Korea Institute of Construction Technology)
- Received : 2009.07.16
- Accepted : 2009.08.31
- Published : 2009.09.25
This study proposes a system identification technique for a fiber-reinforced polymer deck with neural networks. Neural networks are trained for system identification and the identified structure gives training data in return. This process is repeated until the identified parameters converge. Hence, the proposed algorithm is called an iterative neural network scheme. The proposed algorithm also relies on recent developments in the experimental design of the response surface method. The proposed strategy is verified with known systems and applied to a fiber-reinforced polymer bridge deck with experimental data.
fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP);system identification;neural network (NN);response surface method (RSM);iteration
- Forsberg, J. and Nilsson, L. (2006), "Evaluation of response surface methodologies used in crashworthiness optimization", Int. J. Impact Eng., 32(5), 759-777. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2005.01.007
- Gupta, P. and Sinha, N.K. (1999), "An improved approach for nonlinear system identification using neural networks", J. Franklin I., 336, 721-734. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-0032(98)00049-0
- Haldar, A. and Mahadevan, S. (2000), Reliability assessment using stochastic finite element analysis, USA.
- Hou, S.J., Li, Q., Long, S.Y., Yang, X.J. and Li, W. (2007), "Design optimization of regular hexagonal thinwalled columns with crashworthiness criteria", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 43, 555-565. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2006.12.008
- Kim, D.H. and Park, W.S. (2005), "Neural network for design and reliability analysis of rubble mound breakwaters", Ocean Eng., 32(11/12), 1332-1349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2004.11.008
- Kim, S.H. and Aboutaha, R.S. (2004), "Ductility of carbon fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP) strengthened reinforced concrete beams: experimental investigation", Steel Compos. Struct., 4(5), 333-353. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2004.4.5.333
- Kurtaran, H., Eskandarian, A. and Marzougui, D. (2002), "Crashworthiness design optimization using successive response surface approximations", Comput. Mech., 29(4-5), 409-421. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-002-0351-x
- Lee, J.J., Lee, J.W., Yi, J.H., Yun, C.B. and Jung, H.Y. (2005), "Neural networks-based damage detection for bridges considering errors in baseline finite element models", J. Sound Vib., 280, 555-578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.01.003
- Lee, S.H., Kim, H.Y. and Oh, I.S. (2002), "Cylindrical tube optimization using response surface method based on stochastic process", J. Mater. Process. Tech., 130-131, 490-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(02)00794-X
- Ljung, L. (1987), System Identification: Theory for the User, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Myers, R.H. and Montgomery, D.C. (1995), Response Surface Methodology, Wiley, New York.
- Naghipour, M. and Mehrzadi, M. (2007), "Evaluation of dynamic properties of extra light weight concrete sandwich beams reinforced with CFRP", Steel Compos. Struct., 7(6), 457-468. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2007.7.6.457
- Pavic, A., Miskovic, Z. and Reynolds, P. (2007), "Modal testing and finite-element model updating of a lively open-plan composite building floor", J. Struct. Eng., DOI: 10.1061(ASCE)0733-9445(2007), 133:4(550).
- Redhe, M., Forsberg, J., Jansson, T., Marklund, P.O. and Nilsson, L. (2002), "Using the response surface methodology and the D-optimality criterion in crashworthiness related problems", Struct. Multidiscip. O., 24(3), 185-194. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-002-0228-9
- Rumelhart, D.E., Hinton, G.E. and Williams, R.J. (1986), "Learning representations by back-propagating errors", Nature, 323, 533-536. https://doi.org/10.1038/323533a0
- Stander, N. and Craig, K.J. (2002), "On the robustness of the successive response surface method for simulationbased optimization", Eng. Comput., 19(4), 431-450. https://doi.org/10.1108/02644400210430190
- Strand7 Online Help, Release 2.4 (2005), Suite 1, Level 5, 65 York Street, Sydney, Australia.
- Van de Ven, P.W.J., Johansen, T.A., Sorensen, A.J., Flanagana, C. and Toal, D. (2007), "Neural network augmented identification of underwater vehicle models", Control Eng. Pract., 15, 715-725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2005.11.004
- Xiang, Y.J., Wang, Q., Fan, Z.J. and Fang, H.B. (2006), "Optimal crashworthiness design of a spot-welded thinwalled hat section", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 42(10), 846-855. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2006.01.001
- Zou, Y., Tong, L. and Steven, G.P. (2000), "Vibration-based model-dependent damage (delamination) identification and health monitoring for composite structures-a review", J. Sound Vib., 230(2), 357-378. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1999.2624
- Design forces for groups of six cylindrical silos by artificial neural network modelling vol.165, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.10.00049
- Structural model updating of steel box girder bridge using modal flexibility based deflections vol.7, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3846/bjrbe.2012.34
- Explicit expression for effective moment of inertia of RC beams vol.12, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/1679-78251272
- Prediction of the flexural overstrength factor for steel beams using artificial neural network vol.17, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.3.215
- Rapid prediction of long-term deflections in composite frames vol.18, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.3.547
- Closed-form expressions for long-term deflections in high-rise composite frames vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-016-0115-7
- Rapid prediction of deflections in multi-span continuous composite bridges using neural networks vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-015-1211-9