- Volume 9 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Flexural behaviour and capacity of composite panels of light gage steel and concrete
- Shi, L. (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Univ. of New Brunswick) ;
- Liu, Y. (Dept. of Civil and Resource Engineering, Dalhousie Univ.) ;
- Dawe, J.L. (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Univ. of New Brunswick) ;
- Bischoff, P. (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Univ. of New Brunswick)
- Received : 2009.03.19
- Accepted : 2009.07.20
- Published : 2009.09.25
Eight panel specimens were tested in one-way bending to study the behaviour and capacity of composite slab joists consisting of cold-formed steel C-sections and concrete. Various shear transfer mechanisms were implemented on the C-section flange embedded in the concrete to provide the longitudinal shear resistance. Results showed that all specimens reached serviceability limit state while in elastic range and failure was ductile. Shear transfer achieved for all specimens ranged from 42 to 99% of a full transfer while specimens employed with shear transfer enhancements showed a greater percentage and therefore a higher strength compared with those relying only on surface bond to resist shear. The implementation of pre-drilled holes on the embedded flange of the steel C-section was shown to be most effective. The correlation study between the push-out and panel specimens indicated that the calculated moment capacity based on shear transfer resistance obtained from push-out tests was, on average, 10% lower than the experimental ultimate capacity of the panel specimen.
composite;cold-formed steel;light gage;shear transfer;flexural capacity
- AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications (2005), American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, 3rd ed., Washington, DC.
- ASCE Specification for the design and construction of composite slabs (1984), New York, NY.
- ASTM A370-03 (2004), Standard test methods and definitions for mechanical testing of steel products, Annual book of ASTM standards, vol. 01.04.
- ASTM C39/C C39M-04 (2004), Standard test method for compressive strength of cylindrical concrete specimens, Annual Book of ASTM standards, vol. 04.02.
- ASTM C496/C496M-04 (2004), Standard test method for splitting tensile strength of cylindrical concrete specimens, Annual Book of ASTM standards, vol. 04.02.
- Badie, S.S., Tadros, M.K., Kakish, H.F., Splittgerber, D.L. and Baishya, M.C. (2002), "Large shear studs for composite action in steel bridge girders", J. Bridge Eng., 7(2), 195-203. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2002)7:3(195)
- CAN/CSA-S136-01 (2001), Cold formed steel structural members, National Standard Code of Canada, Ontario.
- CAN/CSA-S16.1-01 (2004), Limit States Design of Steel Structures, 8th ed., Canadian Institute of Steel Construction, Willowdale, ON, Canada.
- Chien, E.Y.L. and Ritchie, J.K. (1984), Design and Construction of Composite Floor Systems, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction, Ontario, Canada.
- Culver, C. and Coston, R. (1961), "Tests of composite beams with stud shear connectors", J. Struct. Div. ASCE, 87(ST2), 1-17.
- Ekberg, C.E. and Schuster, R.M. (1968), "Floor systems with composite from reinforced concrete slabs", Final report, IABSE New York.
- El-Lobody, E. and Lam, D. (2002), "Modelling of headed stud in steel-precast composite beams", Steel Compos. Struct., 2(5), 355-378. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2002.2.5.355
- Erdelyi, S. and Dunai, L. (2009), "Light-gauge composite floor beam with self-drilling screw shear connector: experimental study", Steel Compos. Struct., 9(3), 255-274. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2009.9.3.255
- Greiner, R., Ofner, R. and Unterweger, N.H. (2002), "Composite deck construction for the rehabilitation of motorway bridges", Steel Compos. Struct., 2(1), 67-84. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2002.2.1.067
- Hanaor, A. (2000), "Tests of composite beams with cold-formed sections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 54(3), 245-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00046-2
- Johnson, R.P. (1970), "Research on steel concrete composite beams", J. Struct. Div. ASCE, 96(ST3), 445-459.
- Lakkavalli, B.S. and Liu, Y. (2006), "Experimental study of composite cold-formed steel C- section floor joists", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(5), 995-1006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.02.003
- Oguejiofor, E.C. and Hosain, M.U. (1995), "Tests of full size beams with perfobond rib connectors", Can. J. Civil Eng., 22(1), 80-92. https://doi.org/10.1139/l95-008
- Pillai, S.U., Kirk, D.W. and Erki, M.A. (1999), Reinforced concrete design, 3rd edition, McGraw-Hill Ryerson, Whitby, ON, Canada.
- Porter, M.L. and Ekberg, C.E. (1976), "Design recommendations for steel deck floor slabs", J. Struct. Div. ASCE, 102(ST11), 2121-2136.
- Slutter, R.G. and Driscoll, G.C. (1965), "Flexural strength of steel-concrete composite beams", J. Struct. div. ASME, 91(ST2), 71-99.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (2003), Database of United States Patent and Trademark Office, http://www.uspto.gov/patft.