- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Light-gauge composite floor beam with self-drilling screw shear connector: experimental study
- Erdelyi, Szilvia (Department of Structural Mechanics, Budapest University of Technology and Economics) ;
- Dunai, Laszlo (Department of Structural Engineering, Budapest University of Technology and Economics)
- Received : 2006.04.10
- Accepted : 2009.02.19
- Published : 2009.05.25
This paper presents an experimental study of a newly developed composite floor system, built up from thin-walled C-profiles and upper concrete deck. Trapezoidal sheeting provides the formwork and the fastening of the sheet transmits the shear forces between the C-profiles and the deck. The modified formation of the standard self-drilling screw in the beam-to-sheet connection is applied as shear connector. Push-out tests are completed to study the composite behaviour of the different connection arrangements. On the basis of the test results the behaviour is characterized by the observed failure modes. The design values of the connection stiffness and strength are calculated by the recommendation of Eurocode 4. In the next phase of the experimental study six full-scale composite beams are tested. The global geometry is based on the proposed geometry of the developed floor system. The applied shear connections are selected as the most efficient arrangements obtained from the push-out tests. The experimental behaviour of the composite beams are discussed and evaluated. As a conclusion of the experimental study the Eurocode 4 plastic design method is validated for the developed composite floor.
light-gauge composite floor;self-drilling screw;push-out test;full-scale beam test;failure modes;relative slip;design values
- Building Works, Inc. (2003), "Prescriptive method for connecting cold-formed steel framing to insulating concrete form walls in residential construction", Report, Cambridge, UK.
- Dunai, L., Adany, S., Erdelyi, S. and Petrasko, R. (2003/a), "Development of Lindab Floor System, Design manual and design tables", R & D Report, BME, 13/II, Budapest, Hungary (in Hungarian).
- Dunai, L., Erdelyi, S. and Adany, S. (2003/b), "Design method of light-gauge composite floor beam", Proc. of Int. Conf. on Advances in Structures, Steel, Concrete, Composite and Aluminium, Sydney, Australia, 317-323.
- Earl Composite Systems (2001), "MetalStudCrete (MSC) - shear transfer strip", Report, Irwindale, California, USA.
- Erdelyi, S. (2007), "Light-gauge steel and concrete composite beams", PhD Dissertation.
- Erdelyi, S. and Dunai, L. (2002), "Experimental study on connection of composite light-gauge floor system", Proc. of 3rd European Conf. on Steel Structures, Coimbra, Portugal, 441-450.
- Erdelyi, S. and Dunai, L. (2004), "Behaviour of a new type of composite connection", Periodica Polytechnica Ser. Civ. Eng., 48(1), 1-12.
- Erdelyi, S. (2005), "Numerical simulation of the behaviour of light-gauge composite floor beam", Proc. of 15th Inter, Institute Seminar, Budapest, Hungary, 15.
- Erdelyi, S. and Dunai, L. (2005), "Experimental investigation of composite light-gauge floor beams", Proc. of 4rd European Conf. on Steel and Composite Structures, Maastricht, The Netherlands, Vol. B., Chapter 4.3, 25-32.
- ENV 1993-1-1 (1993), Eurocode 3, Design rules for steel structures, Part 1-1, General rules and rules for buildings.
- ENV 1993-1-1 (1996), Eurocode 3, Design rules for steel structures, Part 1-3, General rules and supplementary rules for cold-formed thin gauge members and sheetings.
- ENV 1994-1-1 (1999), Eurocode 4, Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures, Part 1-1, General Rules and Rules for Buildings.
- Hanaor, A. (2000), "Tests of composite beams with cold-formed sections", Int. J. Constr. Steel Res., 54, 254-264.
- Mujagic, J.R.U., Easterling, W.S. and Murray, T.M. (2001), "Standoff screws as shear connectors for composite trusses: push-out test results and analysis", Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Connection between Steel and Concrete, Stuttgart, Germany, 1240-1249.
- Narayanan, R. (1988), Steel-concrete composite structures - Stability and strength, Elsevier Applied Science.
- SFS Stadler, Ltd. (2004), Technical performance values for SFS fasteners, Marketing Documentation, Dortmund, Germany.
- Veljkovic, M. and Johansson, B. (2006), "Light steel framing for residential buildings", Thin-Wall. Struct., 44(12), 1272-1279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.01.006
- Wang, Y.C. (1998), "Deflection of steel-concrete composite beams with partial shear interaction", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 124(10), 1159-1165.