- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Dismountable steel tensegrity grids as alternate roof structures
- Panigrahi, Ramakanta (Civil Engineering Department, IIT Delhi) ;
- Gupta, Ashok (Civil Engineering Department, IIT Delhi) ;
- Bhalla, Suresh (Civil Engineering Department, IIT Delhi)
- Received : 2007.11.30
- Accepted : 2008.12.24
- Published : 2009.05.25
This paper reviews the concept of tensegrity structures and proposes a new type of dismountable steel tensegrity grids for possible deployment as light-weight roof structures. It covers the fabrication of the prototype structures followed by their instrumentation, destructive testing and numerical analysis. First, a single module, measuring
tensegrity;dismountable;finite element method (FEM);strain;monitoring
- ANSYS version 9 (2004).
- Argyris, J.H. and Scharpf, D.W. (1972), "Large deflection analysis of prestressed networks", Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, 98, 633-54.
- Batten, M., Boorman, R. and Leiper, Q. (1999), "Use of vibrating wire strain gauges to measure loads in tubular steel props supporting deep retaining walls", Proc. of Institution of Civil Engineers, Geotechnical Engineering, 137, 3-12. https://doi.org/10.1680/gt.1999.370102
- Fest, E., Shea, K. and Smith, I.F.C. (2004), "Active tensegrity structure", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130,1454-65. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:10(1454)
- Fu, F. (2005), "Structural behavior and design methods of tensegrity domes", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61, 23-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.06.004
- Fuller, R.B. (1962), Tensile integrity structures, United States Patent No. 3, 063, 521.
- Gantes, C. (1997), "An improved analytical model for the prediction of the nonlinear behavior of flat and curved deployable space frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 44, 129-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(97)00042-4
- Hanaor, A. (1993), "Double layer tensegrity grids as deployable structures", Int. J. Space Struct., 8,135-43. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266351193008001-214
- IS: 800 (1984), Code of practice for general construction in steel, Bureau of Indian Standards.
- IS: 875 II (1987), Code of practice for design loads (other than earthquake) for buildings and structures: Part II Imposed loads, Bureau of Indian Standards.
- IS: 875 III (1987), Code of practice for design loads (other than earthquake) for buildings and structures: Part III Wind loads, Bureau of Indian Standards.
- IS: 1239 I (1990), Mild Steel Tubes, Tubulars and Other Wrought Steel Fittings - Specification - Part 1: Mild Steel Tubes, Bureau of Indian Standards.
- IS: 1835 (1976), Specification for Round Steel Wire for Ropes, Bureau of Indian Standards.
- IS: 3459 (1977), Specification for Small Wire Ropes. , Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Kebiche, K., Kazi-Aoual, M.N. and Motro, R. (1999), "Geometric non-linear analysis of tensegrity systems", Eng. Struct., 21, 864-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00014-5
- Panigrahi, R. (2007), "Development, analysis and monitoring of dismountable tensegrity structure", Ph. D. thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
- Quirant, J., Kazi-Aoual, M.N. and Motro, R. (2003), "Designing tensegrity systems: the case of a double layer grid", Eng. Struct., 25, 1121-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00021-X
- Snelson, K. (2004), http://www.kennethsnelson.net/ accessed January 2005-December 2005.
- Stern, I.P. (1999), "Development of design equations for self deployable N- strut tensegrity systems", M.S. Thesis, University of Florida.
- Sultan, C. and Skelton, R.E. (2003), "Deployment of tensegrity structures", Int. J. Solids Struct., 40, 4637-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(03)00267-1
- Tokyo Sokki Kenkyujo Company Limited (TML). (2006), http://www.tml.jp/e/.
- Tibert, A.G. and Pellegrino, S. (2002), "Deployable tensegrity reflectors for small satellites", J. Spacecraft Rockets, 39, 701-09. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3867
- Tibert, A.G. and Pellegrino, S. (2003), "Deployable tensegrity masts", Proc. of 44th" AIAA/ASME/ASC/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures Structural Dynamics and Materials Conf. and Exhibit, Norfolk 1-11.
- Vu, K.K., Liew, J.Y.R. and Krishnapillai, A. (2005), "Deployable tension strut structure: conceptualization to implementation", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62, 195-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.07.007
- Vu, K.K., Liew, J.Y.R. and Krishnapillai, A. (2006), "Rapidly deployed tension-strut structures", Proc. of 8th Int. Conf. on Steel, Space and Composite structures, 15-17 May, Kuala Lumpur, 145-52.
- Wang, B.B. and Li, Y.Y. (2003), "Novel cable strut grids made of prisms: part1 Basic theory and design", Int. J. Space Struct., 44, 93-125.
- You, Z. and Pellegrino, S. (1997), "Cable-stiffened pantographic deployable structures 2. mesh reflector", AIAA J., 35, 1348-55. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.243
- Zhang, J.Y. and Ohsaki, M. (2006), "Adaptive force density method for form-finding problem of tensegrity structure", Int. J. Solids Struct., 43, 5658-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.10.011
- Damage assessment of tensegrity structures using piezo transducers vol.48, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-012-9678-3
- Modal parametric changes in a steel bridge with retrofitting vol.19, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.2.385
- Innovative Families of Double-Layer Tensegrity Grids: Quastruts and Sixstruts vol.139, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000739
- Design, Fabrication and Construction of a Deployable Double-Layer Tensegrity Grid vol.28, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10168664.2018.1431379