- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of restrained heated steel beams during cooling phase
- Li, Guo-Qiang (Department of Structural Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Guo, Shi-Xiong (Department of Structural Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2007.03.05
- Accepted : 2008.04.10
- Published : 2009.05.25
Observations from experiments and real fire indicate that restrained steel beams have better fire-resistant capability than isolated beams. Due to the effects of restraints, a steel beam in fire condition can undergo very large deflections and the run away damage may be avoided. However disgusting damages may occur in the beam-to-column connections, which is considered to be mainly caused by the enormous axial tensile forces in steel beams resulted from temperature decreasing after fire dies out. Over the past ten years, the behaviour of restrained steel beams subjected to fire during heating has been experimentally and theoretically investigated in detail, and some simplified analytical approaches have been proposed. While the performance of restrained steel beams during cooling has not been so deeply studied. For the safety evaluation and repair of steel structures against fire, more detailed investigation on the behaviour of restrained steel beams subjected to fire during cooling is necessary. When the temperature decreases, the elastic modulus and yield strength of steel recover, and the contraction force in restrained steel beams will be produced. In this paper, an incremental method is proposed for analyzing the behaviour of restrained steel beams subjected to cooling. In each temperature decrement, the development of deformation and internal forces of a restrained beam is divided into four steps, in order to consider the effect of the recovery of the elastic modulus and strength of steel and the contraction force generated by temperature decrease in the beam respectively. At last, the proposed approach is validated by FE method.
steel structure;restrained beam;fire resistance;cooling
- ANSYS (2002), Structural analysis guide, ANSYS Inc.
- Baily, C.G., Burgess, I.W. and Plank, R.J. (1996), "Analyses of the effect of cooling and fire spread on steelframed buildings", Fire Safety J., 26(4), 273-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-7112(96)00027-6
- El-Rimawi, J.A., Burgess, I.W. and Plank, R.J. (1996), "The treatment of strain reversal in structural members during the cooling phase of a fire", J. Constr. Steel Res., 37(2), 115-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(95)00023-O
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN) (2002), DAFT ENV 1993-1-2, Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures, part 1.2 : General rules/structural fire design.
- Huang, Z.F. and Tan, K.H. (2002), "Structural response of a steel beam with a frame during a fire", Proc. Third Int. Conf. on Advances in Steel Structures, 2, 1111-1118.
- Li, G.Q. and Guo, S.X.(2005), "Analysis of restrained steel beams subjected to temperature increasing and descending", The third Int. symposium on steel structures, Korea, March.
- Li, G.Q., He, J.L. and Jiang, S.C. (2000), "Fire-resistant experiment and theoretical calculation of a steel beam", China Civil Engineering Journal, 32(4), 23-26.
- Liu, T.C.H., Fahad, M.K. and Davies, J.M. (2002), "Experimental investigation of behaviour of axially restrained steel beams in fire", J. Constr. Steel Res., 58(9), 1211-1230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00062-1
- Steel Construction Institute (1991), Structural fire engineering investigation of Broadgate phase 8 fire, June, Ascot.
- Wang, Y.C. (2002), Steel and Composite Structures: Behaviour and design for fire safety, Spon Press, London.
- Yin, Y.Z. and Wang, Y.C. (2005a), "Analysis of catenary action in steel beams using a simplified hand calculation method, Part 1 : theory and validation for uniform temperature distribution", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(2), 188-211.
- Yin, Y.Z. and Wang, Y.C. (2005b), "Analysis of catenary action in steel beams using a simplified hand calculation method, Part 2 : validation for non-uniform temperature distribution", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(2), 213-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.07.003
- Yin, Y.Z. and Wang, Y.C. (2004), "A numerical study of large deflection behaviour of restrained steel beams at elevated temperatures", J. Constr. Steel Res., 60(7), 1029-1047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2003.09.005
- Finite element analysis of creep for plane steel frames in fire 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-012-0162-x
- Implementation of total Lagrangian formulation for the elasto-plastic analysis of plane steel frames exposed to fire 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-012-0163-9
- Plastification procedure of laterally-loaded steel bars under a rising temperature vol.35, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.35.6.699
- Creep of the Plane Steel Frame at Elevated Temperature vol.446-449, pp.1662-8985, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.446-449.793
- The Effects of Geometric Nonlinearity on Elasto-Plastic Analysis of Plane Steel Frames in Fire vol.446-449, pp.1662-8985, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.446-449.3513