- Volume 19 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Optimal Design of MR Damper : Analytical Method and Finite Element Method
MR 댐퍼의 최적설계 : 이론적 방법 및 유한요소 방법
- Published : 2009.11.20
This paper presents an optimal design of magnetorheological(MR) damper based on analytical methodology and finite element analysis. The proposed MR damper consists of MR valve and gas chamber. The MR valve is constrained in a specific volume and the optimization problem identifies geometric dimensions of the valve structure that maximize the pressure drop of the MR valve or damping force of the MR damper. In this work, the single-coil annular MR valve structure is considered. After describing the schematic configuration and operating principle of MR valve and damper, a quasi-static model is derived based on Bingham model of MR fluid. The magnetic circuit of the valve and damper is then analyzed by applying the Kirchoff' s law and magnetic flux conservation rule. Based on the quasi-static modeling and the magnetic circuit analysis, the optimization problem of the MR valve and damper is built. The optimal solution of the optimization problem of the MR valve structure constrained in a specific volume is then obtained and compared with the solution obtained from finite element method.
- Carsol, J. D., Cantanzarite, D. M. and St. Clair, K. A., 1995, 'Commercial Magneto-rheological Fluid Devices,' Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on ER Fluids, MR Suspension and Associated Technology, pp. 20-28.
- Spencer Jr., B. F., Dyke, S. J., Sain, M. K. and Carlson, J. D., 1997, 'Phenomenological Model for a Mangetorheological Damper,' Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 123, No. 3, pp. 230-238 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Kamath, G. M., Wereley, N. M. and Jolly, M. R., 1998, 'Characterization of Semi-active Magnetorheological Fluid Lag Mode Damper,' Proceedings of the SPIE Conference on Smart Structure and Integrated Systems, SPIE Paper 3329-3337, San Diego, CA.
- Wei, H. and Wereley, N. M., 2003, 'Nondimensional Damping Analysis of Flow Mode Magnetorheological and Electrorheological Dampers,' Proceedings of IMECE`03, 43235
- Delivorias, R. P., 2004, 'Application of ER and MR Fluid in an Automotive Crash Energy Absorber,' Report No. MT04. 18
- Nicholas, C. R. and Wereley, N. M., 2004 'Volume-constrained Optimization of Magnetorheological and Electro-rheological Valves and Damper,' Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 13, pp. 1303-1313 https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/13/6/004
- Nguyen, Q. H., Han, Y. M., Choi, S. B. and Wereley, N. M., 2007, 'Geometry Optimization of MR Valves Constrained in a Specific Volume Using Finite Element Method,' Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 2242-2252 https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/16/6/027
- Lai, C. Y. and Liao, W. H., 2002, 'Vibration Control of a Suspension System via a Magnetorheological Damper,' Journal of Vibration and Contol, Vol. 8, pp. 527-547 https://doi.org/10.1177/107754602023712
- Kim, K. D. and Jeon, D. Y., 1999, 'Vibration Suppression in an MR Fluid Damper Suspension System,' Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 10, pp. 79-86 https://doi.org/10.1106/1GRU-NNUA-8HJL-2V94
- Lee, H. S., Choi, S. B. and Lee, S. K., 2001, 'Vibration Control of Passenger Vehicle Featuring MR Suspension Units,' Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 41-48